Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers snapped on my SC400

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 12:46 AM
CoOl21
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Coilovers snapped on my SC400

Just wondering if the community has ran into such a thing happening?

This morning I was driving away from my parkade, when I heard a THUD come from the rear after going over a speed bump. I pulled over immediately and saw this...
Coilovers snapped on my SC400-i1avoynl.jpg

when she's suppose to ride like this...
Coilovers snapped on my SC400-mglto6jl.jpg

since I live in a condo, strata doesn't allow us to work on our cars and I got nowhere to store my tools, so I drove it to nearest shop I trust (only 3km away). They got my on the hoist immediately and saw this...
Coilovers snapped on my SC400-gjki9uvl.jpg

Here's what it looks like when it came off the my baby...
Coilovers snapped on my SC400-ar5radvl.jpg

So my question to the community is:

1. Has this happen to anyone else with coilovers? have it snap from the main strut?
2. Would such a break be covered under warranty?
Old 07-25-16, 11:18 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Sorry to hear about that glad your car did not suffer more damage from that. I have heard of coil overs failing but never say a broken joint like that. check with TEIN and see if it covered.
Old 07-26-16, 08:33 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

It looks like a tein CS coilover which has been discontinued for some time now. I doubt tein still offers any type of warranty on it, but you could always email them and ask.
Old 08-17-16, 12:40 PM
tds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn that sucks... looks like they're pretty old!
Old 08-18-16, 06:01 PM
CoOl21
Driver

I guess they are, but I don't think I've ever heard of coilover brackets shear off like such. springs, internal valves wearing out is normal, but something that should be wielded securely coming clean off like this :/ I don't know what to say...

TEIN did get back to me, offered no warranty since I got it used, they did offer me a discount for a set of new custom Comfort Sports for $330/ea. anyone in the community want to take them up on that deal?
Old 08-20-16, 07:45 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

For one thing, your car is way too low. That probably put extra pressure on the Chinese made coil over and caused it to snap.

steve
Old 09-03-16, 06:51 AM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks like the coil over was bolted to the bottom bracket, and from the apparent age, the bolt rusted and broke. You may be able to drill out and re tap the hole to replace the bolt.
Old 09-03-16, 07:22 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those coilovers are rusted, Never trust anything from china that holds important parts on your car together
Old 09-03-16, 02:53 PM
CoOl21
Driver

Originally Posted by mikef
those coilovers are rusted, Never trust anything from china that holds important parts on your car together
Originally Posted by 1A1
For one thing, your car is way too low. That probably put extra pressure on the Chinese made coil over and caused it to snap.

steve
Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for Japanese engineering and manufacturing. I think the SC community need to get their facts straight on which and where each TEIN coilover line is made... and not this ricer comments

The cheaper line are made in China, but hey, you get what you paid for... I'm sure these are still on par to their QS control
"STREET BASIS Z & STREET ADVANCE Z damper lines from the TEIN China plant." - TEIN blog

What I had was the Comfort Sports, this is the more premium line. If you read any other CL boards (ie: GS, ES etc) many board members gave the Comfort Sports very high rating for comfort and they came straight from Japan. If I were to order a new set, it could be custom built from the Yokohama plant.

Originally Posted by emLEX
It looks like the coil over was bolted to the bottom bracket, and from the apparent age, the bolt rusted and broke. You may be able to drill out and re tap the hole to replace the bolt.
Yeah... NO... There was no bolt on the bottom. It was not tapped into the cylinder to hold the bracket in. There is however a hex screw that if I have to guess is for some sort of adjustments. Pretty sure that's not rust there, just unpainted during the manufacturing process.
Coilovers snapped on my SC400-sz6hgjwl.jpg
Coilovers snapped on my SC400-ovy1ne7l.jpg
Old 09-04-16, 12:21 AM
oSUPRAo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also agree that rust was probably the cause. Rust+age+stress=adios. I was thinking about getting some coilovers but stuff like this is what makes me very hesitant to do so. After several hours of research it seems that the general consensus is to either get the really expensive coilovers or not get coilovers at all. I don't care about lowering my car so I'm just going to get some high quality shocks and springs and call it a day. If I happen to have an extra 3 grand laying around eventually then I'll buy some crazy good coilovers. In any event, good luck with your car. I've heard good things about Stance SS if you're going to get new coilovers.

Last edited by oSUPRAo; 09-04-16 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-04-16, 09:05 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

KW is probably the best
Old 09-04-16, 09:52 AM
CoOl21
Driver

KW is probably the best
KW makes coilovers for SC400? I didn't see any listed on their website... anyways I've gone with BC Racing BR coilovers after reading a review on a NSX forum. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for SC

pretty good write up (missing pics thou)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...hensive-Review
Old 09-04-16, 09:53 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CoOl21
KW makes coilovers for SC400? I didn't see any listed on their website... anyways I've gone with BC Racing BR coilovers after reading a review on a NSX forum. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for SC

pretty good write up (missing pics thou)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...hensive-Review
I ordered the supra mk4 coilovers on my sc and they bolted right up
Old 09-04-16, 10:52 AM
CoOl21
Driver

I ordered the supra mk4 coilovers on my sc and they bolted right up
Ah, Supra Mk4, what year did it end? '97? I was looking under '99
Old 09-06-16, 01:06 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

93-98 Supra MKIV. You'll want either KW or HKS Hypermax 4. Those won't rust.

Steve K.

Quick Reply: Coilovers snapped on my SC400