Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers snapped on my SC400

Old 09-08-16, 05:08 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 156 Posts

I see nothing in the pictures to indicate rust is the failure mechanism, what I do see is very little penetration on the weld to the tube, in fact almost none. This would indicate the original weld procedure was not done with the correct settings for the material and thickness. If you think about the forces involved there would be some twisting moment during rotation of the suspension due to the rubber bushing keeping it from being a true pin connection in the force analysis but the majority of the force is still in compression. The relatively small forces from bending due to rubber bushing should be sufficiently dealt with if the weld was properly made. It wasn't in this case.

If these weren't so old and possibly worn anyway, I might would have liked to have tried to salvage them by rewelding the failed connection on all 4. Would have been interesting to see if it could have been done. I know there will be some who will scoff at that, but with the correct weld that I think I could do, these would be fine. Would be a tricky operation to keep the heat down, but could be done with some time.
Old 09-08-16, 05:43 PM
CoOl21
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
I see nothing in the pictures to indicate rust is the failure mechanism, what I do see is very little penetration on the weld to the tube, in fact almost none. This would indicate the original weld procedure was not done with the correct settings for the material and thickness. If you think about the forces involved there would be some twisting moment during rotation of the suspension due to the rubber bushing keeping it from being a true pin connection in the force analysis but the majority of the force is still in compression. The relatively small forces from bending due to rubber bushing should be sufficiently dealt with if the weld was properly made. It wasn't in this case.

If these weren't so old and possibly worn anyway, I might would have liked to have tried to salvage them by rewelding the failed connection on all 4. Would have been interesting to see if it could have been done. I know there will be some who will scoff at that, but with the correct weld that I think I could do, these would be fine. Would be a tricky operation to keep the heat down, but could be done with some time.
Those were my thoughts exactly as well... proper wielding should not have snapped off like so. Anyways, coilovers this age would require a rebuild/overhaul.
err.... I just emailed TEIN regarding an overhaul, and they replied back saying that they aren't able to repair the broken shock bodies... WTF?!

anyways... BC Racing coilovers just arrived, I'll be installing those this weekend and put this TEIN business behind me.

Thank for the support everyone
Old 07-11-18, 01:06 AM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, how are the BC Racing coilovers after a couple of years of use?
Old 07-11-18, 08:41 PM
CoOl21
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempock
Hey, how are the BC Racing coilovers after a couple of years of use?
After 2 years, it's been holding up fairly consistent. Took it to an autoX event last winter, didn't expect much from them anyways, as it is a fully stocked land yacht with the only other addition was the SuperPro front lower control arm bushings. Threw the yacht around for the day and she rolled around as any heavy car would.

Long story short, yeah they work so far. Might give Fortune racing a try next or if I'm fortunate enough KW.