Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

First impressions: Eibach / Bilstein combo

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 07:40 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First impressions: Eibach / Bilstein combo

Eibach springs / Bilstein shocks were installed on my ride yesterday afternoon (...this was DaveGS4's hardware )

What a HUGE improvement in handling and "feel" vs. the stock suspension. Unfortunately It has been raining and / or super humid here since I picked the car up yesterday afternoon, so I haven't had a (safe) opportunity to really put it through the twisties. Nonthelss, I'll quickly list first impression pro's / con's of this suspension vs. the stock suspension. To note, I currently have 18's on the car.

Pro'sDrastically improved feel of "connectivity" to the road. I couldn't relax in this car with the stock suspension because I always felt like I was on the wrong end of a see-saw with Anna Nicole and a plate of pork chops. The car now feels extremely predictable and parallel to the road at all times. Compared to all of the modifications I've done thus far for overall "feel" improvement, I would say this ties for first place with the torque converter. With regards to "looks", it has certainly elevated the car to pimp status with the 18's. I began to walk with a limp from the parking lot to the office this morning after all the compliments from my co-workers. Pics to follow after it stops raining and / or I get it loaded on the Ark.

Con'sRide comfort degrades. On a fairly smooth road, you can't really tell the difference vs. stock. Over significant bumps and sharp dips you will definitely feel the difference. Comparitavely speaking, the ride comfort level is more on par with a new Corvette than a stock Lexus.
Old 05-07-03, 07:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Glad your happy with them , can't wait for you to try 'em out in dryer conditions. First sweeping curve you take will have a big grin on your face.

Do you know if they weighed the suspension parts for us? I left instructions to do that and the scale in my trunk. The PSS setup for all four corners was about 46 lbs.

Can't wait to get back into town (I'm working in DC this week) to try out my Bilstein PSS coilovers!

Reference... Read earlier threads on the ride being more comfortable with a heavier load in the car with this suspension if you hadn't seen them. Consistent with my observations.
Old 05-07-03, 07:58 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Do you know if they weighed the suspension parts for us? I left instructions to do that and the scale in my trunk. The PSS setup for all four corners was about 46 lbs.
To be honest Dave, I kinda "lost my mind" after I saw my car and forgot to ask / do half of the things I intended to ask / do when I got to Baker's yesterday afternoon and this was one of them I had three different bills to three different people to pay (Baker's N&L, Dent Wizard) in less than 15 minutes and that didn't help the situation..lol.

Hopefully those guys did what they were instructed to do and the information is on a piece of paper in your car. I've also got my stock springs / shocks that we can weigh when you get back if you don't have that data.

Last edited by tomtnc; 05-07-03 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-08-03, 05:36 PM
MasterG
Pole Position

Hey tomtmc , could you tell me the exact models of the Eibach & Bilstein products you are speaking of ? I'm looking for as much info on the Eibach pro kit 8255.140 and Bilstein Sp BE5-2802 Front & BE5-2803 Rear . These are the factory numbers.
Old 05-08-03, 05:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by MasterG
Hey tomtmc , could you tell me the exact models of the Eibach & Bilstein products you are speaking of ? I'm looking for as much info on the Eibach pro kit 8255.140 and Bilstein Sp BE5-2802 Front & BE5-2803 Rear . These are the factory numbers.
He bought them 'pre-owned' from me, and I no longer have the order info... might be hard to find the model # on the parts.

They are the pro kit set of springs and the sport shocks, I believe (think those are the models you listed).
Old 05-08-03, 06:45 PM
MasterG
Pole Position

DaveGS4 , thats the setup I'm focused on . How much more stiffer than stock would you say it is? I'm thinking about trying out stock shocks with the Eibach springs since their website states that the pro kit springs were designed and could be used with the factory shocks. what do you think ?
Old 05-08-03, 08:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

IMO it's about 50% stiffer than stock.

There are lots of threads here about using stock shocks with lowering springs like the Eibach, and some folks have complained (and many theorize/agree) that the stock shock will wear out very quickly with that combination. A few others think it should work fine... and I think a couple are trying it recently. Try an advanced search for something like 'factory spring wear shock'; on the GS forum - should get you close to a couple of the threads.

I've never personally considered that combo because I wanted the performance of the Bilsteins. If price is the concern (not ride quality), look for a used set of shocks or get cheaper ones than the Bilsteins to tide you over until you're ready for them. I don't have any experience either way... but I'd rather not have to pay the labor to do it twice to find out the answer.
Old 05-08-03, 08:30 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

MasterG:

It'll be wise for you to swap out the stock shocks with sport shocks (Bilstein or L-tuned) when you install the Eibach Pro-kit. I understand that a few CL members have experienced early degredation of their stock shocks/lowered springs combo....ie: bottoming out after several months.

Spend a few more $$$ now to avoid a bigger headache later.

Pete
Old 05-09-03, 06:04 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by DaveGS4
IMO it's about 50% stiffer than stock.
I"ll second that motion.
Old 05-10-03, 07:46 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

MasterG,
Throw the stock shocks. They're no good. They die early and since they are difficult or pricey to install, replace them when you install the springs.

You have two proven options of which shocks to use. Relatively speaking, the Bilstein shocks will provide a bit firmer/noisier ride than the L-tuned. To what extent will the difference be? Barely noticeable, at most, unless you drive them back-to-back.