Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 11:26 PM
mizike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS issue

I bought this 2002 Lexus GS300 with only 63k miles on it. I have an issue where the brake pedal buzzes like on a pager and a buzzing noise comes on on slow stops like parking, when you turn your wheel and brake. Its only on the slow stops, its not brakes, rotors etc. The scan showed error codes on all ABS, each wheel. 3 sensors tested working, the 4th is seized in so we cant pull it to test it yet, but I have seen posts that this is a known issue. What should be the first parts I replace, try to get the 4th sensor out, replaced the sensors, replace the actuator, or the ECU. Or any concrete way to find out what actual part is the cause of it? Any help would be appreciated. The car is immaculate inside, was barely driven. Outside needs a little work, but dont want to put money into fixing the outside up and my sound system put in if this ABS issue could cause a serious amount of issues and money. I am replacing the alternator it was reading low, PRAYING that maybe that would cause the issue but doubtful. Any ideas or guidance is appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-10-16, 04:00 AM
Mike246
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi. Been there, Done that. Same symptoms. On my car ('98 GS with 180k) the problem was the left rear stator had worn down and the 49 teeth were no longer signalling to the sensor. Therefore the ABS computer thought that just one wheel had come to a stop and energised the ABS which is what you are experiencing.

Lexus UK list a replacement stator for the front but not for the rear - you would have to replace the entire hub. I am told that the front and rear stators are identical so there's a puzzle.

If this proves to be the case with your vehicle, we have an engineering company in the UK who manufacture and supply the part for GB £50 (US $70 and going down). This solution worked for me - come back if you require details.
Old 07-10-16, 07:01 AM
mizike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I posted my mechanic links from this forum before he checked the car out for me for this issue and just the overall check to make sure the car was in great condition, but this issue at least the first 3 sensors the stator, teeth, hub are good. He couldnt get the 4th one out though to test it, so I guess I will have him get the 4th one out for sure when he changes the alternator to see if the 4th one has bad teeth, they did test 3 of the 4 individually and checked the teeth and received a signal, but that 4th one they couldnt get out to test it, it is seized up kind of just locked in there. Maybe that is the one causing the issue. If it is, I will reach out to you. Thanks
Old 07-17-16, 08:11 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Use WD-40 and keep wiggling it. try pulling it with a pair of vice grips wrapped in black tape. Do not lock the vise-grips on tight, you will damage the sensor. it will eventually give and come out.
I describe what happened to me when my ABS took a **** on me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-problem.html
Old 08-13-16, 07:48 PM
Sportsfan2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

front and rear stators are not the same dimensions

Originally Posted by Mike246
Hi. Been there, Done that. Same symptoms. On my car ('98 GS with 180k) the problem was the left rear stator had worn down and the 49 teeth were no longer signalling to the sensor. Therefore the ABS computer thought that just one wheel had come to a stop and energised the ABS which is what you are experiencing.

Lexus UK list a replacement stator for the front but not for the rear - you would have to replace the entire hub. I am told that the front and rear stators are identical so there's a puzzle.

If this proves to be the case with your vehicle, we have an engineering company in the UK who manufacture and supply the part for GB £50 (US $70 and going down). This solution worked for me - come back if you require details.