Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2011 IS350 AWD lowering springs! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 05:11 PM
Lexx2007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 IS350 AWD lowering springs! HELP!!!!

I need help here. I have done all the searching here and can't find any answers to lower my IS350 AWD. I wanted to stick with H&R springs. Can anyone help out?
Old 07-10-16, 07:58 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not understand your question, as it seems like you did your research and settled on the H&R springs for the AWD. Those springs are fine for the 350 AWD and paired with F-Sport shocks will keep the performance of the dampening there.

So I am going to ask, what exactly did you need help with lowering the AWD?
Old 07-11-16, 01:30 PM
Lexx2007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knguyenk
I do not understand your question, as it seems like you did your research and settled on the H&R springs for the AWD. Those springs are fine for the 350 AWD and paired with F-Sport shocks will keep the performance of the dampening there.

So I am going to ask, what exactly did you need help with lowering the AWD?
My question is I was looking at H&R's website and didn't see anything listed for 2011 IS350 AWD expect for the 250 AWD. Will the 250 AWD lowering springs fit on a 350 AWD?
Old 07-12-16, 06:06 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexx2007
My question is I was looking at H&R's website and didn't see anything listed for 2011 IS350 AWD expect for the 250 AWD. Will the 250 AWD lowering springs fit on a 350 AWD?
Thank you for clarifying.

The short answer is that the 250 AWD springs for the H&R will fit the 350 AWD as well as any other aftermarket springs.
Old 07-13-16, 01:20 PM
LEX6IX
Rookie

@knguyenk How long have you had your F sport springs and shocks setup for?

For anyone out there with the H&R Springs/ F sport shocks combo setup for +1 years.. how is it holding up?

I drive a 2008 is250 AWD. I also have done my research - just interested to hear more about longevity and comfort.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-16, 11:56 AM
Lexx2007
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for clarifying.

The short answer is that the 250 AWD springs for the H&R will fit the 350 AWD as well as any other aftermarket springs.
So I already bought the springs but for RWD. Will that work too?
Old 07-16-16, 03:25 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kenljones
@knguyenk How long have you had your F sport springs and shocks setup for?

For anyone out there with the H&R Springs/ F sport shocks combo setup for +1 years.. how is it holding up?

I drive a 2008 is250 AWD. I also have done my research - just interested to hear more about longevity and comfort.

Thanks.
I have the F-Sport springs and shocks for almost 2 years. The 17's with the Michelins are a nice match with the AWD for ride comfort. I had a bad shock in the front that caused it to rip my CV boot. Once those were replaced, the reliability of the setup greatly increased.

Yes, RWD springs can be installed on AWD no problem. Shocks are a no-no though.
Old 07-17-16, 08:13 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1, Our Lexus 2nd Gen Suspension Chassis is (GSE20 and GSE21) yes 250 or 350 works fine and the are the same chassis.

2, Spring for RWD is different to AWD, NO IT WON'T WORK, get AWD if you have AWD vehicle. They fit fine but they will Screw up your Transmission !

3, Do not lower AWD car on Coilovers, it's better on Lowering Spring., learning the Lexus IS suspension for 2 months now i figured out lot of things, they use Tokico Sport Shock for the IS wow all you need is lowering spring and you're set.
Old 07-20-16, 04:54 PM
Lexx2007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RandyIS250
1, Our Lexus 2nd Gen Suspension Chassis is (GSE20 and GSE21) yes 250 or 350 works fine and the are the same chassis.

2, Spring for RWD is different to AWD, NO IT WON'T WORK, get AWD if you have AWD vehicle. They fit fine but they will Screw up your Transmission !

3, Do not lower AWD car on Coilovers, it's better on Lowering Spring., learning the Lexus IS suspension for 2 months now i figured out lot of things, they use Tokico Sport Shock for the IS wow all you need is lowering spring and you're set.
How does it screw up the transmission?
Old 07-20-16, 09:38 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

How does it screw up the transmission?
I am curious as to how RWD springs can screw with your transmission. In the 4 years I have been here (almost 3 researching lowering the AWD) that is the first I heard of this. Unless if you are talking about the wobble or vibration when lowering the AWD, then that is another can of worms.

As for the H&R springs, it is confirmed by another member directly contacting the manufacturer that the RWD springs are the same as the AWD springs for the 2IS with the difference being the part numbers.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...tion-help.html

Members here lowering their 2IS AWD with NF210 (Tanabe advertises them for RWD without testing them for the AWD)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...s-250-awd.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-250-awd.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pped-pics.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-dropped.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-dropped.html

And the kicker is that the F-Sport springs are RWD and AWD compatible (i.e. one part number for both applications). Most likely why they tend to travel a bit more than I care to like when going over dips (since the AWD is heavier).
Old 07-20-16, 09:43 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Oldie that I had to dig up.

Old 07-21-16, 01:54 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I could be wrong.. and you say you've done your research.. but the front suspension for awd IS's is different from rwd IS's due to the fact that they have to make room for the driveshaft.. this might not have anything to do with the springs though..
Old 07-21-16, 02:45 PM
Lexx2007
Driver School Candidate

I am curious as to how RWD springs can screw with your transmission. In the 4 years I have been here (almost 3 researching lowering the AWD) that is the first I heard of this. Unless if you are talking about the wobble or vibration when lowering the AWD, then that is another can of worms.

As for the H&R springs, it is confirmed by another member directly contacting the manufacturer that the RWD springs are the same as the AWD springs for the 2IS with the difference being the part numbers.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...tion-help.html

Members here lowering their 2IS AWD with NF210 (Tanabe advertises them for RWD without testing them for the AWD)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-250-awd.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pped-pics.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-dropped.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-dropped.html

And the kicker is that the F-Sport springs are RWD and AWD compatible (i.e. one part number for both applications). Most likely why they tend to travel a bit more than I care to like when going over dips (since the AWD is heavier).
I do really appreciate your help on this. I also did more homework last night as well for H&R springs. Both RWD and AWD springs are the same, just different part number for catalog purpose. But as far for lowering springs screwing up the transmission, this is the first time I heard about it. Only problem I see is just the vibration issue, no biggie tho. Same as you I've on here for 4 years. I am lowering my car this weekend and will try to post pics up then getting some new shoes soon. Thx again!
Old 07-23-16, 12:47 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeanO
I could be wrong.. and you say you've done your research.. but the front suspension for awd IS's is different from rwd IS's due to the fact that they have to make room for the driveshaft.. this might not have anything to do with the springs though..
It was basically one of the final aftermarket modifications done to my AWD and one that took the most time to make a decision to do so. Yes, the shock assembly is different in the front on the AWD to accommodate the lower C-shaped shock absorber bracket so that the CV axle can reach the steering knuckle from the fronts. Which was something I noted to Lexx2007 about where the RWD shocks and AWD shocks are incompatible and are a no go. As for springs, they are a component in the suspension that assist in dictating how the bump/dip (or jounce and rebound) is absorbed with its spring rate (which is basically the force required to move a few mm in kg [kg/mm]).

I do really appreciate your help on this. I also did more homework last night as well for H&R springs. Both RWD and AWD springs are the same, just different part number for catalog purpose. But as far for lowering springs screwing up the transmission, this is the first time I heard about it. Only problem I see is just the vibration issue, no biggie tho. Same as you I've on here for 4 years. I am lowering my car this weekend and will try to post pics up then getting some new shoes soon. Thx again!
Lowering the AWD on the GS/IS platform for this particular generation (2IS and 3GS) is difficult with the suspension geometry that the front CV axles require for a mostly trouble-free operation. People report vibrations with their foot on the brake pedal at a stop with stock suspension and others with lowered suspension of all springs, shocks, and coilover setups. They also report ripped/torn CV boots which leads to having the one side axle being replaced (in my case when one of the front F-Sport shocks when out on mine).

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 07-23-16 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 09:07 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

RWD and AWD use the same lowering springs, even from Lexus (F-Sport). Coilovers on AWD's are fine.

What you need to be worried about on the AWD is how far you lower it so as to not mess with the suspension/axle geometry too much, this is true for springs, coilovers, airbags, whatever. The risk to you transmission is pretty much non-existent, and really not any different than it would be on a RWD. If for some reason the front axles were binding up, it could potentially cause an issue with the differential and if for some reason the differential was having issues related to speed over an extended period of time maybe it could mess with the transfer case, but that's all pretty unlikely and even at that point the transmission would still be pretty safe.

In addition, I have deleted your blatantly racist post which was completely uncalled for. Posts like that do not have a place here on ClubLexus. Do not make similar posts in the future.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 07-23-16 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 IS350 AWD lowering springs! HELP!!!!