Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need your opinion on lowering springs or coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 04:26 PM
illefex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinion on lowering springs or coilovers...

i have a 2008 is250 awd that i purchased few months ago...not so much into modifications...or i personally don't even know too much about cars in general...but, i like the is250 and i got myself one...altho, i like the look of any lowered car and i would like to lower my car...

any recommendations as far as what would be a good brand of lowering springs?...i don't wanna spend too much, but within reason of a good brand...i aslo understand that if i go the springs route, i may also need to replace my shocks and also what would you guys recommend on that part...

one of my buddies also suggested i go the coilovers route...

thanks in advance guys for your feedbacks...
Old 07-03-16, 04:44 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

H&R lowering springs for AWD 2006-2013 Lexus IS 250 . 1.3" front 1.4" rear . Since u don't wanna spend that much . Put this your is250 will look cool and u don't have to do anything
Old 07-03-16, 04:46 PM
illefex
Driver School Candidate

thanks.

someone also told me about h&r...heard the drop is good and still rides pretty good...my understanding is that if i go the springs route, i also have to change my shocks...any recommendations that you may know?
Old 07-03-16, 04:58 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Go coilovers, springs are a good alternative if you're keeping your stock shocks but since it sound like you want to get new ones I would personally just get coilovers. You can get the Megan EZ coils which are very budget friendly and ride like stock. I've had the EZ on my IS250 and enjoyed them now I have the Megan LP and also love them.
Old 07-03-16, 05:02 PM
illefex
Driver School Candidate

i actually don't wanna change my stock shocks if i don't have to...but, someone told me that if i lower it, i also MUST change the shocks...

and coilovers, i guess it comes with everything with shocks...or coilover kit, if im not mistaken...

but thank you, i will also look into Megan EZ coils.
Old 07-03-16, 11:33 PM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like reaallly low cars, get coilovers.
Old 07-04-16, 11:19 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get a decent set of coilovers. It's a fairly common question around here and majority answers say to get coils. I Mena if you gotta Change the shocks you may as well just get coils and have an adjustable suspension am I right? That's why I went with BC Coilovers over H&R Springs since I figured its the best and most cost effective option for my build. Especially since at the time I knew I wanted to slam my car eventually. Definitely one of my favorite mods... Just go coils, you won't regret it
Old 07-04-16, 11:21 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

One thing for sure is..

Need your opinion on lowering springs or coilovers...-img_20160703_133409.jpg

You'll never be ^^^ that low with Springs. (if your into that sort of thing)

Need your opinion on lowering springs or coilovers...-img_20160703_195423.jpg
Old 07-04-16, 11:44 PM
illefex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your feedback...

At first, I was just gonna go with H&R springs and was just looking around a good, inexpensive...but reliable set of shocks...and the price seems to end up around $800 or so, for both springs and shocks...altho, some people told me that I can just ride it out with stock shocks...but, I'm not too sure about that...

So, I decided to look into coils...I came across megan ez coils...and someone also suggested that...read some reviews, sounds like they're pretty good and affordable...but I will also look into bc like you mentioned...

And yes, I like the look of a slammed car...but, not really gonna help me around where I stay in chicago...too many potholes and bumps...so many I'll drop it enough to have a good look..but not too low that I'll scrape everywhere....
Old 07-04-16, 11:47 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by illefex
Thanks for your feedback...

At first, I was just gonna go with H&R springs and was just looking around a good, inexpensive...but reliable set of shocks...and the price seems to end up around $800 or so, for both springs and shocks...altho, some people told me that I can just ride it out with stock shocks...but, I'm not too sure about that...

So, I decided to look into coils...I came across megan ez coils...and someone also suggested that...read some reviews, sounds like they're pretty good and affordable...but I will also look into bc like you mentioned...

And yes, I like the look of a slammed car...but, not really gonna help me around where I stay in chicago...too many potholes and bumps...so many I'll drop it enough to have a good look..but not too low that I'll scrape everywhere....
That's understandable. Just go for what works for you. Being in an area with bad roads you may wanna have the car higher. I don't ride around as low as the first pic shows by the way lol that would be almost impossible without camber.

I'd still say coils are best though. More adjustability and dampening options. But once again choose what's best for you and your situation. Good luck to you!
Old 07-04-16, 11:49 PM
illefex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tro209
That's understandable. Just go for what works for you. Being in an area with bad roads you may wanna have the car higher. I don't ride around as low as the first pic shows by the way lol that would be almost impossible without camber.

I'd still say coils are best though. More adjustability and dampening options. But once again choose what's best for you and your situation. Good luck to you!
Thanks. I wish I can really go that low tho hahaha...