Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowered Suspension on an AWD Model - Clarification on Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 06:54 AM
jvah1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lowered Suspension on an AWD Model - Clarification on Vibrations

Was hoping maybe some people could chime in that have lowered IS250's w/ AWD and explain exactly what type of vibrations occur as a result of the suspension modification?

I have a 2006 IS250, with adjustable coil-overs, but they are adjusted just maybe a half-inch or inch lower than stock. I've read through forums any many times threads that talk about vibrations start with " I don't have lowered suspension ". And I saw a thread regarding the stress that is put on the driveshaft with lowered suspension.

I'm also having a recall performed at a Lexus dealer and will ask them to check my motor mounts - as it seems this could also be the cause, but I don't have any other symptoms (like clunking shifting from D to R) that others mention are common.

I have a slight consistent vibration at idle, which I'm almost certain is a result of this (from what others have posted). I also have a slight shake / vibration under acceleration - more pronounced under heavy acceleration. I'm wondering if this too could be caused by lowered suspension? Finally, is the coil-overs themselves, or the ride height that causes this? (in other words if I took my adjustable coil overs and raised them back to factory ride height would those issues resolve?)

It also feels like similar to wheels out of balance, but only under heavy acceleration. I'm thinking of having my wheels balanced anyway to rule out any of my rims being out of round, because there is a VERY subtle vibration through the wheel at highway speeds. I also have an older Lexus RX330 that felt great, then was told the wheels were never balanced. After balancing the car went from perfectly smooth to majestically god-like.

Thoughts on lowered suspension? Thank!
Old 07-01-16, 07:09 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jvah1980
Was hoping maybe some people could chime in that have lowered IS250's w/ AWD and explain exactly what type of vibrations occur as a result of the suspension modification?

I have a 2006 IS250, with adjustable coil-overs, but they are adjusted just maybe a half-inch or inch lower than stock. I've read through forums any many times threads that talk about vibrations start with " I don't have lowered suspension ". And I saw a thread regarding the stress that is put on the driveshaft with lowered suspension.

I'm also having a recall performed at a Lexus dealer and will ask them to check my motor mounts - as it seems this could also be the cause, but I don't have any other symptoms (like clunking shifting from D to R) that others mention are common.

I have a slight consistent vibration at idle, which I'm almost certain is a result of this (from what others have posted). I also have a slight shake / vibration under acceleration - more pronounced under heavy acceleration. I'm wondering if this too could be caused by lowered suspension? Finally, is the coil-overs themselves, or the ride height that causes this? (in other words if I took my adjustable coil overs and raised them back to factory ride height would those issues resolve?)

It also feels like similar to wheels out of balance, but only under heavy acceleration. I'm thinking of having my wheels balanced anyway to rule out any of my rims being out of round, because there is a VERY subtle vibration through the wheel at highway speeds. I also have an older Lexus RX330 that felt great, then was told the wheels were never balanced. After balancing the car went from perfectly smooth to majestically god-like.

Thoughts on lowered suspension? Thank!
1. Engine mount makes your steering wheel vibrate only at stop in gear D brake pressed and hold.

2, aftermarket wheel or bad tires will vibrate at a certain speed

3, Modified suspension will never be like OEM, stiffer bouncier noisier and floating may occur during accel. or at high speed.

Once you lowered your car or mod your suspension you gotta adapt the different feeling, every times you hit a bump you say Oh ya i love it
Old 07-11-16, 04:23 PM
RussZTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is lowered. I have vibration only when the car is in gear standing still. Soon as I put in park or N, it goes away.
Old 07-12-16, 08:15 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I lowered mine last week. I bought Megan lowering springs, 1.25" front and rear. Just the right drop IMHO, and I have no vibration when I am at a stop. The engine RPM drop when stopping stopped when I installed an Oil Catch Can to ease the carbon build up issue. Seems to have fixed that for me as well.
Old 07-12-16, 11:56 AM
Awd250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has always been a big discussion on AWD IS and GS on the vibration issues. I'm lowered to about finger gap all around on coils and get the vibrations around 40-60 mph but not at stops..read many posts and don't think there is a solution to it.
Old 07-13-16, 06:06 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RussZTT
Mine is lowered. I have vibration only when the car is in gear standing still. Soon as I put in park or N, it goes away.
Coilovers and suspension only effects in motion not in stop with D, if you get steering vibration at stop with D, your engine mount and transmission mount are SHOT . my AWD does that but not all the time. sometimes AWD driveshaft and CV axles wanna die they do shake when driving at certain speed. Bad CV axles also get ticking noise and hard shifting, when it break you'll get clunky noise.
Old 07-13-16, 06:26 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Awd250
It has always been a big discussion on AWD IS and GS on the vibration issues. I'm lowered to about finger gap all around on coils and get the vibrations around 40-60 mph but not at stops..read many posts and don't think there is a solution to it.
Because AWD suspension setup is kinda tricky, when you lower the AWD car you give too much pressure to the Axles joints and Boots, they will break in a period of time depend on the age of your car and cv axles, i don't think we should lower AWD car except Subaru, in my experience WE SHOULD NOT LOWER TOYATA LEXUS lower than 1,2 inches.

stay withing 1.2' like F-sport and TRD setup you'll be fine, AWD people sometimes get shaky because their cv axles can't handle that pressure or cv axle too old to handle, another thing is the CHEAP CHINESE RIMS and TIRES, the PSI in tires too low or too much also causes that.

It's not because of the Coil or lowering springs, it makes you headache sometimes if you lower an old car, Bro my car suspension is 100% stock i get vibrate at 40-60mph too, i have 225/40/18 RTX rim and cheap CHINESE TIRES "Auplus" << google this lol my friend gave me a whole set of EBAY Rotors and pad i get tick tick tick noise too.

i've learnt suspension geometry for years now, i know i have cheap rim, brake and tires, i will not expect much but will live with noise and vibration, look at that darkgrey IS250 AWD in my avatar, its my friend car, mine is black one, he lowered with H&R springs 1.2" all around, he told me its bouncy and vibrate, i was about to lower my car like him but now i changed my mind.
Old 07-15-16, 08:19 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its honestly just something you have to get used to and be ready for any potential replacement costs (e.x. CV). The "safe zone" is 25" fender-to-ground... I am currently sitting at just under 23.5". I also have rca blocks in the front (where the cv problems usually come from on our cars), which allows me to lower my car, without changing my coilover ride height.
Look up sage rca spacers. They've made a small difference for me vibration-wise.