Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension visual or questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-16, 08:37 PM
gtgeek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension visual or questions

I'm considering buying a used 92-95 SC400.

How can I visually check or what can I ask to see if suspensions are safe or has been looked at and updated recently?

My fear of 20+ yrs car falling apart due to bushings and parts that wear thru the decades.

(Non car guy)
Old 06-23-16, 08:50 PM
CarolinaGS
Driver School Candidate

Driving and listening will be your true tells. Take it to a parking lot and turn full yoke and turn slowly. Listen for odd sounds. Chances are the first few owners took good care of the car. The overall ride wether smooth or rough will give you clues as to if you will need new shocks, springs, etc...
Old 06-23-16, 10:20 PM
gtgeek
Driver School Candidate

Seller mentioned engine replacement, KYB shocks and lowering Springs. Is it a pretty safe bet to say bushings and such would've been replaced at a time of doing those?
Old 06-25-16, 08:55 PM
CarolinaGS
Driver School Candidate

Safe bet? Not 100% although it is logical to assume such. Depending on who/when/where/how the work was done, most reputable mechanics would have done so. I would Google or YouTube the parts you are most concerned with to become familiar with where they are; how they look, etc. also if the seller is telling you all of this up front he/she may have a paper trail of documentation ( at least they should have) I'd find a mechanic in your area someone that comes recommended from family, friends, coworkers etc and have them look it over for you. Some may charge you $30-$40 most will do it for free.
Old 08-25-16, 03:15 PM
DA51
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 1995 Lexus did 200 changes to the SC, I would look for nothing older. I would get the VIN and call a Lexus Dealer to see
if they will tell you the maintenance history of the vehicle. I did this 15 yrs ago before I bought mine.
Check for a Branded Title. If it has one and you buy it, plan on keeping it forever.
Another website http://www.vindecoderz.com/ you can check the components installed by the factory.
I would have an independent mechanic examine the vehicle. Our cars are old and trade-in value is low. Another 10 yrs and our cars might be collectors, but right now, I would not pay much more than trade-in for a car. Check the cost of a Timing Belt or Valve clearance check or TRAC check light on. Lexus cars are expensive to repair if the only new part comes from Lexus.
Old 08-26-16, 07:56 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by DA51
In 1995 Lexus did 200 changes to the SC, I would look for nothing older. I would get the VIN and call a Lexus Dealer to see
if they will tell you the maintenance history of the vehicle. I did this 15 yrs ago before I bought mine.
Check for a Branded Title. If it has one and you buy it, plan on keeping it forever.
Another website http://www.vindecoderz.com/ you can check the components installed by the factory.
I would have an independent mechanic examine the vehicle. Our cars are old and trade-in value is low. Another 10 yrs and our cars might be collectors, but right now, I would not pay much more than trade-in for a car. Check the cost of a Timing Belt or Valve clearance check or TRAC check light on. Lexus cars are expensive to repair if the only new part comes from Lexus.
Everybody has an opinion, but this advice is 180 from where I am. I have 3 that are either 92 or 93. With some basic maintenance, they are great cars. And a lot of cars this old are not going to have "Lexus Dealer" history which is totally meaningless to me anyway. This is something I would never take the time to do. If you don't know much about cars, take someone who does understand them with you to evaluate it. The only way to know is to do an evaluation of the car yourself or with help.
Old 08-27-16, 08:37 AM
DA51
Driver

I'm a trained mechanic and I'm 65 yrs old. If you don't want to follow my advice, that is OK. Everyone has an opinion.
Lexus keep records if the vehicle was serviced by them. I would buy a Lexus if the car had the 30-60-90,000 mile routine maintenance preformed by Lexus in the first 100,000 miles.
I bought my 1992 SC400 from the original owner and have every receipt performed by Lexus. That is what I look for when I bought my car in 2001. The hidden problems I've had was the vehicle came from Omaha, NE-the Rust Belt.
Research your car. Where has it lived its life? Interview the previous owner(s).

Old 09-05-16, 08:42 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

You bought your car 15 years ago. Your advice is pertinent for these cars 15 years ago, but today being the cars are more than 20 years old there are going to be 1 in 20 that would have the records you tout at this point. I am being kind, probably less than that.

To the OP, if you don't have the ability to judge the wear items, it might be a crap shoot for you for these cars. They all have either worn out lower control arms and bushings, or they have been gone through. Get someone to help look it over if you aren't confident in your ability to judge this. Or, if the deal is good enough, just figure in the cost to go through them. All that is regarding the suspension only since you mentioned it. There are several things to consider on the engine, but basically if it runs and doesn't leak oil and its a good deal buy it. Don't jump on a price, they are usually all overpriced. The most I have paid for one of my manual trans cars is $1,800 and I gave too much for it but it ran and I wanted it.
Old 09-06-16, 03:51 AM
gtgeek
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all
Old 09-06-16, 01:03 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

It's going to be tough to judge if the weather is warm outside. On my car the bushings squeek when it gets cold, below 50 degrees. Above that they are fine. Eventually I am replacing everything so I am fine with it. My SC has 71K miles on it and is a 1994. It was garage kept and is a FL car. I am the 2nd owner.

Steve K.
Old 09-06-16, 04:07 PM
DA51
Driver

1A1, Squeaks going over bumps is almost always the sway bar bushings. In my many Lexus records, the original owner complained of this problems and Lexus greased these bushings. The bushing has a Teflon fabric inside against the bar, but after 22 yrs a little synthetic Grease will help. You have a nice car.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension visual or questions-img_8256.jpg   Suspension visual or questions-img_0339_640x480.jpg  
Old 09-12-16, 07:32 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

Thanks for the advice DA51. I will look into that product.

STeve