Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I can't get on top of my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 07:05 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I can't get on top of my suspension

after one thing its another a continuous cycle of bushing prblems.

earlier this week i replaced my sway bushings and sway links, my sway links were so far gone it was ridiculous. now i have ridiculously bad shakes (not vibrations) at 65-70mph.

Ive replaced LCA and caster bushings, LBJ are in good shape so are UCA but my right outer tie rod has a lot of play. i plan to replace both outers soon should i do the inner as well? its likely they never have been replaced. will this resolve the vibration issue? or am i missing something?

01 GS300 190k 17" tire 235/55 just fro info.
Old 05-26-16, 08:41 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I've tried everything to get rid of my vibration above 65mph...ball joints/caster arm assemblies/alignments/tires/brakes/rotors it's still there. Most of the time though it was my rotors! Even though I have them turned/replaced sure enough it comes back after a few months. Just something I've learned to live with.
Old 05-26-16, 09:06 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Originally Posted by kevin3344
I've tried everything to get rid of my vibration above 65mph...ball joints/caster arm assemblies/alignments/tires/brakes/rotors it's still there. Most of the time though it was my rotors! Even though I have them turned/replaced sure enough it comes back after a few months. Just something I've learned to live with.

see and before i would get the vibrations close to 80 like you, i just got used to it. and maybe my front links were just so bad i never noticed it. but now its more violent! im going to get my car realigned even though (to me) it doesnt seem bad but its been a year since my last; I'll just replace the right outer tie rod. can i do that after an alignment or will i need to realign?

also i replaced my brake pads as rotors looked to be fine but im sure thats unrelated to this
Old 05-26-16, 09:09 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm not sure but anytime I do something to the front end I usually get an alignment. I'm about to take mine in for fresh rotors soon and see if that helps. It usually does, for a little while anyway.
Old 05-26-16, 09:26 AM
exxonham
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You forgot your steering rack bushings! I was having the same 60-70mph shakes and I replaced them with Diazon bushings, I did replace everything else too, But replace those

Good info and DIY on them, very easy
Old 05-26-16, 09:29 AM
exxonham
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You forgot your steering rack bushings, This will most likely fix it, I was having the same problems and replaced them and it fixed it. Very easy and alot of info on the forum regarding this issue, and it helped me
Old 05-26-16, 09:38 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I work at ntb ,aka tire kingdom and deal with this everyday. Vibration can be a number of things. Whats your tread on the tires look like? Id start with a wheel balance and see if any wheels are bent. Than if the tires are in bad shape replace them. Then start replacing anything with play in the suspension. As well the condition of the rotors etc .Check back with me
Old 05-26-16, 09:43 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by exxonham
You forgot your steering rack bushings! I was having the same 60-70mph shakes and I replaced them with Diazon bushings, I did replace everything else too, But replace those

Good info and DIY on them, very easy
100% agree with you. Replace those steering rack bushings.
Old 05-26-16, 09:45 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamcar88
I work at ntb ,aka tire kingdom and deal with this everyday. Vibration can be a number of things. Whats your tread on the tires look like? Id start with a wheel balance and see if any wheels are bent. Than if the tires are in bad shape replace them. Then start replacing anything with play in the suspension. As well the condition of the rotors etc .Check back with me
Also, I agree with you dreamcar.
Old 05-26-16, 10:17 AM
GS3KID
Driver

thanks everyone for the great advice! I never think about steering rack haha i just ordered some poly ones! kinda funny Rockauto doesnt sell any.

as for tires they're between 35-50% tread but ill look into that and get them inspected when i do my alignment.

Ive been considering selling my GS and its been a battle back and forth idk if i can quite let go even though ill hit 200k this year haha

thanks again!
Old 05-26-16, 11:01 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3KID
thanks everyone for the great advice! I never think about steering rack haha i just ordered some poly ones! kinda funny Rockauto doesnt sell any.

as for tires they're between 35-50% tread but ill look into that and get them inspected when i do my alignment.

Ive been considering selling my GS and its been a battle back and forth idk if i can quite let go even though ill hit 200k this year haha

thanks again!
generally want to replace around 4-5 /32s on a tire and do them in pairs and put the best tread in the back... Sound like you need some tires to me lol.. .
Old 05-26-16, 12:35 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Originally Posted by dreamcar88
generally want to replace around 4-5 /32s on a tire and do them in pairs and put the best tread in the back... Sound like you need some tires to me lol.. .
im sure your right thatll be next up after alignment and bushings haha thats like another $1000 i gotta plan for haha
Old 05-26-16, 07:50 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3KID
after one thing its another a continuous cycle of bushing prblems.

earlier this week i replaced my sway bushings and sway links, my sway links were so far gone it was ridiculous. now i have ridiculously bad shakes (not vibrations) at 65-70mph.

Ive replaced LCA and caster bushings, LBJ are in good shape so are UCA but my right outer tie rod has a lot of play. i plan to replace both outers soon should i do the inner as well? its likely they never have been replaced. will this resolve the vibration issue? or am i missing something?

01 GS300 190k 17" tire 235/55 just fro info.
235/55r17 is too big for a GS did you mean 235/45r17?
Old 05-26-16, 07:59 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Originally Posted by lexo98
235/55r17 is too big for a GS did you mean 235/45r17?
No they're 55, I used to have low profile but I feel like I went through them faster. not too big oem 16" were 65
Old 06-01-16, 09:00 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Plan on swapping out those parts as well as doing a few drain and fills on the tranny.

just for reference does anyone have mileage intervals for our suspension parts? i cant find a definite answer searching. how often should LBJs be changed, LCA, UCA bushings tie rods, steering rack, and sway parts? im really thinking about holding on to this car now which (im hoping) will last another 100k-150k with best maintenance practices.

also how often does the tranny fluid need to be changed? 30k miles?

Quick Reply: I can't get on top of my suspension