Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 11:14 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover

I spoke to my mechanic and he said that once you instal coilovers getting a perfect alignment is impossible. He said he has never been able to do a perfect alignment on a car with coilovers and that he can only try to get it as close as possible. And in addition I may need to do several alignments over time as the springs begin to lower overtime with the weight of the car.

Anyone have this issue or know this to be true.

I trust the guy because he builds rally cars and knows his ****. But would like the forums I put on this.
Old 05-16-16, 08:09 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by xshurikx
I spoke to my mechanic and he said that once you instal coilovers getting a perfect alignment is impossible. He said he has never been able to do a perfect alignment on a car with coilovers and that he can only try to get it as close as possible. And in addition I may need to do several alignments over time as the springs begin to lower overtime with the weight of the car.

Anyone have this issue or know this to be true.

I trust the guy because he builds rally cars and knows his ****. But would like the forums I put on this.
Getting a perfect alignment after installing coilovers is impossible? You may want to get him to explain that one further, or find another mechanic. Makes no sense at all.
Old 05-22-16, 07:51 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilover alignment

according to him the issue is coilovers cant be aligned with just 1 shot. they tend to have a brake in period which may require another alignment and he has never in his year ever been able to align them perfectly with 1 shot. and he has done several alignments on my cars and they were perfectly setup according to the computer system he had running.

not sure exactly why the coilovers aren't the same. could be the height adjustment option on them and something about the compression and rebound has to be in sync to make it right. last year when i was thinking about it he said it could take a whole day of tooling with it back and forth to make it as good as it gets.
Old 05-22-16, 10:37 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no idea what he's referring to. If your ride height is set well, coilovers are not a reason for having difficulty with alignment. Issues arise when you don't have enough adjustment range.
Old 05-23-16, 10:38 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Been dealing with installing coilovers for 15+ years. Never once have I seen that
1-855-998-8726
Old 05-23-16, 12:50 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I have been rolling on coil overs for the last few years and never had issues getting a good alignment. My car still tracks straight and thru since my last alignment 6 months ago.
I say find another alignment shop quick.

Last edited by BiGEZ; 05-23-16 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-23-16, 08:08 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by xshurikx
according to him the issue is coilovers cant be aligned with just 1 shot. they tend to have a brake in period which may require another alignment and he has never in his year ever been able to align them perfectly with 1 shot. and he has done several alignments on my cars and they were perfectly setup according to the computer system he had running.

not sure exactly why the coilovers aren't the same. could be the height adjustment option on them and something about the compression and rebound has to be in sync to make it right. last year when i was thinking about it he said it could take a whole day of tooling with it back and forth to make it as good as it gets.
If you are insistent on using this guy, which I can't imagine why at this point, just peel back the onion a little more. Get him to explain what is happening when the coilovers are in a "brake in period" (which should be break-in period but who am I to be the grammar police). What could be "braking in"? I'll admit, maybe I'll learn something here, so let us know what he says.