Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installed KYB Shocks on IS350

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 09:28 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Installed KYB Shocks on IS350

After 120k miles on my 2007 is350 all of my struts were gone bad and it rides too rough.

Replaced with KYB Just-A-Gas
Front: 551130 & 551131
Rear: 551132 Both

Set cost: $270 (Made in Japan), Lowest on ebay was for $428 !!
Installation cost:$120
Total cost:$390

While installing: They damaged one of my front ABS sensor wires and weld it instead of replacing + scratch a rim + scratch a fender. Felt that they were training on my car. Better enjoy doing a DIY or get to someone you know.

Here are the results:
  • -Ride height restored to OEM level (1.5" higher than what I had at this mileage), and I am happy because we have bad roads so we cannot lower our cars for show.
  • -Braking is much more responsive & no bouncing.
  • -Cornering is stiffer and no more wavy so you feel ok to change lane fast now.
  • -Obviously ride comfort restored & no bouncing.
  • -Car drives straight on highway, steering feels solid.
Notes I observed:
-You cannot tell a bad strut unless you remove the coils from it and test it, I had all bad struts with only 2 showing clear leaks. This is the only way to test trust me.
-Our traction highly depends on having good struts when cornering and braking so be sure yours are good.
-The bolts securing the struts are so rusty and stuck, be sure to have the tools and lubrication needed first.

Overall I believe they are just like OEM with less than half the price.

Last edited by See5; 05-10-16 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 10:45 AM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you score all 4 KYB for just $270?

$120 for the install cost is just WAY TOO LOW, aka, too good to be true. I've made a ton of phone calls and the best price using a shop that I know will do it right, plus alignment, is $580 just for labor to do all 4 shocks. At a stealer, to do JUST the front shocks with OEM dealer supplied shocks was $1,300. I'm going to pay the $580 to the shop I trust and am still trying to make a decision on what shocks to buy.

Good write up though. I'm certain that my shocks are toast and need to be replaced to restore the ride comfort.

When driving very slowly over a bumpy road it is SHAKE CITY inside of my car right now. I'm torn between the budget conscious KYB option, versus the middle of road TOKICO BLUE HP, or what is probably the best KONI FSD.
Old 05-11-16, 10:06 AM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SwedeMetal
Where did you score all 4 KYB for just $270?

$120 for the install cost is just WAY TOO LOW, aka, too good to be true. I've made a ton of phone calls and the best price using a shop that I know will do it right, plus alignment, is $580 just for labor to do all 4 shocks. At a stealer, to do JUST the front shocks with OEM dealer supplied shocks was $1,300. I'm going to pay the $580 to the shop I trust and am still trying to make a decision on what shocks to buy.

Good write up though. I'm certain that my shocks are toast and need to be replaced to restore the ride comfort.

When driving very slowly over a bumpy road it is SHAKE CITY inside of my car right now. I'm torn between the budget conscious KYB option, versus the middle of road TOKICO BLUE HP, or what is probably the best KONI FSD.
Hi,

Basicly the labor charges in USA are somewhat five times higher than in my country KSA, yet I believe you get a way better service.

KYB set is for $270 this is their price here & they don't come with warranty. If shipping fees to USA are not high I can help you guys supplying it with a considerably lower price.

I would suggest doing a DIY if I was in USA. You can always buy the equipment with the amount of money you guys spend on labor !

Regards,
Old 05-13-16, 11:50 AM
jdmnguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it easy to do
Old 05-15-16, 11:00 AM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdmnguyen
is it easy to do

So easy that the guys working in workshop were so young & I knew the steps just from watching you tube videos previously.

You need however a strong air pressure gun to get the rears.
Old 05-15-16, 04:45 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

ive replaced the front shocks myself without any assistance. its very simple once you remove the upper a-arm, lower bolt holding the shock the control arm and three bolts attaching the upper mount to the body. Theres also a 10mm bolt to remove the ABS sensor. Very simple and easy to get to. I'm from NYC and wouldn't trust any corner shop or any shop plain and simple to work on my car. They're careless and work like butchers. To all those wanting to replace their shocks, invest in a pair of spring compressors, a metric set of tools and a battery powered impact wrench. I have a li-ion craftsman, works great!
Old 05-16-16, 09:10 AM
See5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike_1GO
ive replaced the front shocks myself without any assistance. its very simple once you remove the upper a-arm, lower bolt holding the shock the control arm and three bolts attaching the upper mount to the body. Theres also a 10mm bolt to remove the ABS sensor. Very simple and easy to get to. I'm from NYC and wouldn't trust any corner shop or any shop plain and simple to work on my car. They're careless and work like butchers. To all those wanting to replace their shocks, invest in a pair of spring compressors, a metric set of tools and a battery powered impact wrench. I have a li-ion craftsman, works great!
Totally agree.
They cut my ABS cable by mistake after failing to unplug & then weld it !
Old 12-28-18, 12:48 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by See5
After 120k miles on my 2007 is350 all of my struts were gone bad and it rides too rough.

Replaced with KYB Just-A-Gas
Front: 551130 & 551131
Rear: 551132 Both

Set cost: $270 (Made in Japan), Lowest on ebay was for $428 !!
Installation cost:$120
Total cost:$390

While installing: They damaged one of my front ABS sensor wires and weld it instead of replacing + scratch a rim + scratch a fender. Felt that they were training on my car. Better enjoy doing a DIY or get to someone you know.

Here are the results:
  • -Ride height restored to OEM level (1.5" higher than what I had at this mileage), and I am happy because we have bad roads so we cannot lower our cars for show.
  • -Braking is much more responsive & no bouncing.
  • -Cornering is stiffer and no more wavy so you feel ok to change lane fast now.
  • -Obviously ride comfort restored & no bouncing.
  • -Car drives straight on highway, steering feels solid.
Notes I observed:
-You cannot tell a bad strut unless you remove the coils from it and test it, I had all bad struts with only 2 showing clear leaks. This is the only way to test trust me.
-Our traction highly depends on having good struts when cornering and braking so be sure yours are good.
-The bolts securing the struts are so rusty and stuck, be sure to have the tools and lubrication needed first.

Overall I believe they are just like OEM with less than half the price.
How are the shocks now? Or have you sold the car?