Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strange, loud popping sound/feeling in my '03 GS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 05:56 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Strange, loud popping sound/feeling in my '03 GS430

I've searched on this topic, but didn't find any threads that matched exactly to what I am experiencing. The thread that came closest is this one, but it still didn't address my issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...and-facts.html

A quick recap on my car. I've owned my '03 GS430 for 6 years now, and up until 5 weeks ago, it was an entirely stock front suspension. As I am rapidly approaching 200,000 miles, I felt it was time to upgrade/replace some parts. Forum member Straight6 helped me install new coilovers and TRD sways front and rear, and then I had my mechanic knock out the rest of the front suspension..

So last month, at approximately 194,400 miles, I replaced the following:

Coilovers (Megan EZ II's)
TRD sways front and rear

Megan Racing UCAs in the front
Front ball joints (Moog)
Front tie rod ends, both inner and outer (Moog)
Lower control arm bushings (Roca)
Sway bar end links (Moog)
Steering rack bushing (eBay)

The ball joints were greased prior to installing, and the sway bar bushings were lubed as well. The lower control arms themselves were in great shape (the underside of the car is extremely clean, as it is rarely driven in the winter here in NC), so I had my mechanic press the bushings in.

I noticed that after I had everything done, I was getting a really loud popping/binding sound when I would put the car in reverse to get out of my driveway. The pop is REALLY loud, and intense enough for me to feel it through the steering wheel. The noise happens before I've even backed my car up 10 feet, and repeats itself when I move forward from that point.

The interesting thing is that once I start out, I don't hear/feel this noise. I took the car back to my mechanic, who re-tightened every thing. He couldn't replicate the noise while the car was on the lift, but he did hear it while sitting in the passenger seat as I backed away from his shop.

What I haven't replaced are the motor and transmission mounts (they are original), but would those make a loud popping sound at what amounts to 2 mph?

Anyone experienced anything like that?
Old 05-09-16, 06:39 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

if it's doing it when you put it in reverse than it does it again when put into drive it could be the rear knuckle spherical bearings. they connect the rear lower control arm to the rear knuckle. jack the car up and grab the rear wheel at 12 and six and rock it back and forth. if theres play you can feel, its more than likely the slop in those rear bearings that pop when the movement of the drivetrain is transferred to the rear wheels. just throwing that out there. it happened to me. i bought the rear knuckle bearings off of ebay to resolve it. it was also destroying my rear tires due to the excessive play.
Old 05-09-16, 06:52 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by badblackgs
if it's doing it when you put it in reverse than it does it again when put into drive it could be the rear knuckle spherical bearings. they connect the rear lower control arm to the rear knuckle. jack the car up and grab the rear wheel at 12 and six and rock it back and forth. if theres play you can feel, its more than likely the slop in those rear bearings that pop when the movement of the drivetrain is transferred to the rear wheels. just throwing that out there. it happened to me. i bought the rear knuckle bearings off of ebay to resolve it. it was also destroying my rear tires due to the excessive play.
Interesting observation you have here. My mechanic is 99% convinced that the noise is originating from the rear of the car, while I maintained it was from the front.

Are these rear knuckle spherical bearings a regular wear item, or did they go bad because I lowered the car? I didn't lower it drastically -- about 1.5" in the front, and slightly more than 1" in the back, as I recall.

How was it destroying your rear tires? I ask because mine are pretty trashed, but a lot of that was from bad struts.
Old 05-09-16, 10:47 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting, I had this issue but not as prominent. You did specify that the motor and transmission mounts has not been replaced. I was encountering a hard thumping sound when I slow down to a near stop, and during high speeds when let off the gas briefly and accelerate again. All of this went away after the motor mounts were replaced. I am riding on air and gets really low but have not notice any thump issues since. Just some consideration, May or may not be related to your issue.
Old 05-10-16, 12:01 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Both of the above responses are great suggestions, check out your differential bushings as well. If you have 13 year old motor/tranny mounts with 200,000 miles, they're probably due to be changed. I think my rear knuckle bushings are starting to go, I'll have to check when I change my rear brakes next week. Good luck and please keep us updated with what you find.
Old 05-10-16, 07:34 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TW99GS300
Interesting, I had this issue but not as prominent. You did specify that the motor and transmission mounts has not been replaced. I was encountering a hard thumping sound when I slow down to a near stop, and during high speeds when let off the gas briefly and accelerate again. All of this went away after the motor mounts were replaced. I am riding on air and gets really low but have not notice any thump issues since. Just some consideration, May or may not be related to your issue.
What kind of motor mounts did you use?

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
Both of the above responses are great suggestions, check out your differential bushings as well. If you have 13 year old motor/tranny mounts with 200,000 miles, they're probably due to be changed. I think my rear knuckle bushings are starting to go, I'll have to check when I change my rear brakes next week. Good luck and please keep us updated with what you find.
I'll definitely update the thread when I discover where the noise is originating from. I plan on keeping this car for a long, long time, so spending money on improvements is well worth it to me.
Old 05-10-16, 07:37 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

I just walked outside and noticed something -- my passenger side front wheel is exhibiting negative camber, but the driver's side front wheel is not. It's not drastic negative camber, but it's definitely there.

The car was just aligned last week, and I'm sure it didn't look like that. Could the popping sound I'm hearing be responsible for the shift in camber?
Old 05-10-16, 11:49 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1
I just walked outside and noticed something -- my passenger side front wheel is exhibiting negative camber, but the driver's side front wheel is not. It's not drastic negative camber, but it's definitely there.

The car was just aligned last week, and I'm sure it didn't look like that. Could the popping sound I'm hearing be responsible for the shift in camber?
I would double check the tightness of all the bolts. Maybe the camber adjustment bolts on your Megan UCA are loose.
Old 05-10-16, 11:53 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Also did you replace control arm#1 or #2 bushings or both?
Old 05-10-16, 12:02 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

I would double check the tightness of all the bolts. Maybe the camber adjustment bolts on your Megan UCA are loose.
Good thought -- I know the alignment guy needed to adjust the camber (according to the printout he gave me). Are those camber bolts on the top part of the UCAs? Also, the alignment guy said that my rear camber bolt should be replaced, as he was unable to tighten it completely. I plan on ordering the Megan Racing LCAs, along with the toe adjusters and new camber bolts.

Also did you replace control arm#1 or #2 bushings or both?
I had my mechanic re-use the lower control arms and press in 4 bushings total (2 per side).
Old 05-10-16, 03:36 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

I have spc uca's which has one nut on top to adjust. I think yours has 4 smaller hex bolts that let you move the ball joint around.
Old 05-11-16, 06:15 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

I'm going to head back to the alignment shop in the morning and have them realign it. Hopefully they just forgot to tighten the passenger side UCA.
Old 05-15-16, 12:14 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1
I'm going to head back to the alignment shop in the morning and have them realign it. Hopefully they just forgot to tighten the passenger side UCA.
Any updates?
Old 05-19-16, 08:07 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Any updates?
Sorry for the delay -- I've been swamped with work and haven't had a chance to update.

Here's where things stand. Last week, I took it in to have the alignment guy check on things. It made the popping sound again as I backed out of my driveway, but it did not make it when I started going forward in Drive down the street.

The alignment guy checked ALL of the connections on the front end, and tightened everything to spec. He said the front end was still showing to be in perfect alignment. He also said the rear alignment was just slightly out of spec, due to the fact that he had adjusted the rear LCAs as far as they could go. I've ordered replacements, and will have them installed in the next 2 weeks.

I've driven the car approximately 300 miles in the last week, and the noise has completely vanished. I don't know if it was something the alignment guy did (maybe something was loose enough to make the noise, yet stopped when he put the wrench to it slightly?). Or maybe it was just the parts "settling" in, since at the time of the noise they had less than 100 miles on them?

Either way, for the moment, I've got no noises coming from the front end.
Old 05-19-16, 09:01 AM
CruzinGS
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Did the Moog ball joints come with grease fittings installed? Mine didn't, but they had plugs so that grease fittings could be installed. Might be worth taking a look, and if the plugs are there install fittings and grease the heck out of the joints.

Quick Reply: Strange, loud popping sound/feeling in my '03 GS430