Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My IS F-Sport upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 06:36 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My IS F-Sport upgrades

I wanted to post the new upgrades coming soon to my IS 2013.

1. F Sport Coils
2. F Sport Shocks
3. F Sport Sway Bars front and rear
4. F Sport Intake
5, F Sport 19 inch Wheels
6. F Sport Suspension Under Brace
7. F Sport Shifter ****
8. F Sport Floor Mats

9. FIG Lower Control Arm Rear Bushings
10.Tsudo Axle-back Exhaust
11. New 4 TMPS Senors

New Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 19 inch tires 225/35/19 front and 255/35/19 rear. NTB Tire stepped up and made a great deal, buy two get two free and 5 year alignment.

So hopefully next week I have to all finished. The Wheels and Tires are ordered, everything else came in the last two days. The Fedex driver just backed up to my rear shop to unload.

Thanks for all the advise and support to my questions and my concerns.
Old 04-27-16, 09:34 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

How long have you had your 2013 IS? You're going to notice a significant improvement with how the car handles (and driver satisfaction) after you finish with your list of upgrades.

Are you living in an area that requires all-season tires? Not sure if you're aware of this but there's a newer generation of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires that was recently released (A/S 3+) that are getting rave reviews.

Last edited by redspencer; 04-27-16 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-27-16, 12:17 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

I bought my IS with 8k miles on it last June 2015. It has the a "Sport Package". What exactly that is I am not sure. It seems t set lower than stock IS but not by much. Has front and rear spoilers with 17 inch tires.

I like the sec gen body and instrument simplistic view with cockpit layout. Being a pilot I can appreciate a simple system.

The tires came down to basically, 1300 plus Tax from Lexus plus 160.00 alignment and not have rebalance later without paying again for the Plus version tires. Or 1050.00 with Tax from NTB and 5 year alignment, lifetime balance, NTB road hazard and still have my tire and wheel Lexus protection plan 5 years after date of purchase of the Car and covers the A/S3 tires NTB sold tires.

Do I need A/S tires, well we do get some snow here, ice and heavy rains. I more wanted a 45000 mile tire and
Hopefully get close to that milage from them. I use this car as a daily driver to the Airport when I am on duty.

I ride CBR 1000RR motorcycles on the track for "that need for speed". Good handling nice sporty look is what I am after without compromising tire life, ride and road noise in my IS. Yeah, I use race slicks on my CBRs riding 60-70-80 mph nearly dragging a knee through corners. I did not see the need to buy sticky rubber tires for the IS, at least just yet.

I am afraid if I drove an ISF I say, "I have got to get me one of these" but my driving record could not manage that. Hey -- I am honest about it.

Yet, another reason I ride CBRs on the TRACK, and a Honda GL1800 Goldwing on the street. Well maybe on the track too!

I rented brand X sports car in Jose Ca and drove the twisty roads to hwy 1. You better have two hands on the wheel to control the car, the under steer was so bad, the ride was horrible. Three times the back end broke loose in the curves from bumps. Not very inspiring. My stock IS would have performed better. Maybe not power wise, but handling and ride.

Last edited by obe1; 04-27-16 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Grammar and content
Old 04-29-16, 10:39 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Hello CL,

I spend most of the Friday instaling my F sport suspension, intake, and exhaust. My wheels came in and my new TMPS senses came in Thursday. However, the new sensors need fit kits to be installed in the new wheels. Outer nuts that hole the sensor in place did not come with new sensors! My local Yota parts guy where able to get them ordered. Should be here sat morning. Maybe Saturday the new tires might show up too.

A note to other self installers, once you remove the upper mount on both front and rear coil over shocks, and you transfer these parts to the new shock and f sport spring, you can press down by had and start the nut with out the need of a spring compressor or press. Saved time for sure. I personally just loosen the shock upper nut, and then flip it upside down in my press. Compress the spring, and remove the nut. Relax the press and it's apart. I have done many struts this over over the years without having to break out the spring compressor.

The rear coil over is a little tricky for a Newbie, the rear knuckle will not sag enough to to relax the pressure of the shock spring. Use a jack, and compress the control arm from underneath, Ana then remove the lower control arm knuckle bolt. After that loosen the lower control arm pivot nut, and lower the jack. The lower control arm relaxes and you can remove the lower through shock bolt. It you prior to raising the car, remove all the nuts on the top plate, 3 nuts each side in the truck, the shock will not fall out. It is retained by to 12 mm head bolts in the finderwell.

I made up the shock system with new shock, spring, and upper mount. I inserted it in the three holes up top, and used a jack to just hold the shock in place while I started the upper three nuts inside the trunk without need a helper. I snugged these three nuts only, and then installed the two little bolts in the shock mount in the fenders well. Then tighten the three upper nuts.

Raise the lower control arm, and start the lower shock through bolt and nut, do not tighten yet
Use a jack to compress the spring just a little to reattach the knuckle to the lower control arm.
I jacked the rear spring to normal ride height, and tigened all the bolts, shock, knuckle and lower control arm pivot. To not stress the bushings while at normal rifle height. Hookup the sway bar and install the wheel. Done. Switch sides. Once jacked up wheel off, and truck interior out of the way, 15 mins to remove coil over, 10 mins to remove spring, and 10 mins to switch upper mount to new shock, and then reinstall the coil over shock. 20 mins done. Switching sides.

It not hard, just tricky on the rear. The truck interior is in the way. Work slowly and you can pull the lower side up enough to get the upper shock bolts. I removed the tie downs in the truck, side holders, and spare tire cover. Work slowly Ana it will come up just enough to to reach the nuts. Without having to remove the hole panel. Mine went back and looks as it did when done.

Nothing was really hard, the bushings pressing out was the hardest in my opinion. Now I have done it, be a lot easier next time.

I used to own a shop and did front end work for years. I have a lot of equipment except a lift now. I am a pilot an I worked on the floor. I started at 10 am, front done at 1:30 pm, intake no sway bars done too.

The Rear, with exhaust and under brace took me about 3.5 hrs.

Some guys might be faster, or slower but I wants to share some expectations.

A lift sure would be nice!!! I had two of them and sure mis them.

The car drives really good, not quit as plush over a large bump in a corner 80-90 mph but not bad. The ride is stiffer and seems a little floaty, but the more I drive the less I notice. You can drive into the corners and steer through them. I did a clover leave and the bad started coming around at the end of the corner on the gas arms a little drift. She stopped out and hung in there. I did not left off the gas, just pointed the car where I wanted it to go. Everything in my truck I was turned upside down... This stuff has been in there since July 15. So I must be have more g force in the corner.

The exhaust, the fit was well and I am not happy with the loudness at cruising speeds. I drove home and removed it, after a 30 min drive and put the stock exhaust back on. The intake is throaty sounding when on the gas.

I will age to just sale the exhaust system, I packed it all packed up carefully not to scratch it and Es the box. Somebody will get a good deal.

So far, so good on everything else. The FIGS bushings where easy to press in, the old bushings I took my time pressing out for fear of cracking the housing. It scored the housing, and in avaiation his is never acceptable, I Emory clothed it smooth and pressed the new bushing in. A lot easier going in than out.

The scoring might have been fine, but I was worried about stress cracks later from it.

Will report back once the new FSport Wheels and new 19 inch tires are installed.

Last edited by obe1; 04-29-16 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-30-16, 08:02 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Nice progress! Sounds awesome man. If the tsudo is too loud ; try the tanabe very quiet. That may be right up your alley. Post some pics???
Old 04-30-16, 10:44 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

I have to look into that. Thanks

My tire have not came in yet, the Fit Kits are here and I picked them up this morning.

The lowered suspension, I do feel the road a lot more. I sure liked the plush ride I had. I wonder how the F Sport shocks do with the factory springs?

I feel more harshness in the bumps not like I did before. The cornering, is better. Like on a rail trough them.
I leave it this way for a while, I am really afraid once I get the 19 tires, the look will be good, the ride will suffer even more.

We will see...

The intake throaty sound is a nice touch when on the gas.

Never know, I may pull the lower springs out and just use the shocks. I wished I could ride in one that way and I would know for sure.

If the roads are smooth, no issues. But that is not how it is. I am worried about denting my roof from hitting bumps and transferring the shock to the unibody. I have heard that dents can form in the sunroof area.
I sure do not want that!!!
Old 05-04-16, 09:58 PM
funny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work done! Do you have some photos?
Old 05-05-16, 02:40 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

I wanted to follow up. My tires finally came in today. I will take the new F Sport wheels down and have them mounted. Afterwards drive my car down and have them installed. Go have the alignment done and hopefully be done for a while. The car suspension I have noticed after driving a almost a week, the harder you drive it the better it responds. Then initial stiffness it seams has calmed down maybe 10%. I am liking the car handling more and more as I drive it.

I looked through the factory options offered in 2013 and do not see an option that would lower the car except maybe the F-Sport Factory Tuned Suspension option. So my car for the full 1 inch drop.

I am looking at brakes next. The F Sport Brakes Stop/Tech are a lot of money for sure. RR Racing has a solution that is affordable and uses Willwood Calipers. RR Racing looks to machine the mounting brackets themselves and uses 200.00 replacement cost rotors. I am holding off till I get more feedback before making that move to having an complete aftermarket solution.

I will upload more picts of the side view of the car once the F Sport Wheels are installed.
Attached Thumbnails My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-1.jpg   My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-2.jpg   My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-3.jpg   My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-4.jpg   My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-5.jpg  

My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-7.jpg   My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-8.jpg   My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-11.jpg  
Old 05-06-16, 01:14 PM
funny
Driver School Candidate

You need to replace front brakes. Try calipers from Lexus GS.
Old 05-09-16, 11:10 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

My Tires finally came in and I took my car up today and had the new 19 inch tires with F Sport Wheels installed today, Then I had the alignment done. The car sits a little higher with the 19 inch tires and wheels. I noticed when I drove it home the Tires are a little more nosier than my 17 inch tires, which I found surprising. I ordered the New Big Brake Kits for the front and Rear. Thats my next update and hopefully drive and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-12.jpg   My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-14.jpg   My IS F-Sport upgrades-lexusis250-15.jpg  
Old 05-09-16, 11:34 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

2011+ doesnt come with led standard!?
Old 05-09-16, 11:47 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by metaleckz
2011+ doesnt come with led standard!?
Mine sure did not. I installed the interior bulbs, and Hi Beam Headlights. My car did not have the HID factory headlights with Daytime strip running lights in the Headlight Housings. I adapted and used Halos as DRL instead and upgraded the Headlight to HIDs, and Fog Lights to the same Temp Brightness. The Halos, you can drive at night without the headlights on and they are really bright. My interior bulbs where not LED except for the 2 map lights in the center overhead. The other lights where standard bulbs.
Old 05-10-16, 04:18 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Not a fan of the F-sport rims personnaly

Get an Tanabe exhaust - way better then F sport
Old 05-10-16, 05:00 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

I hear that. Glad we all do not have to like the same things. Be a real boating world if we did.
Old 09-12-16, 11:50 AM
jacosta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by obe1
I wanted to post the new upgrades coming soon to my IS 2013.

1. F Sport Coils
2. F Sport Shocks
3. F Sport Sway Bars front and rear
4. F Sport Intake
5, F Sport 19 inch Wheels
6. F Sport Suspension Under Brace
7. F Sport Shifter ****
8. F Sport Floor Mats

9. FIG Lower Control Arm Rear Bushings
10.Tsudo Axle-back Exhaust
11. New 4 TMPS Senors

New Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 19 inch tires 225/35/19 front and 255/35/19 rear. NTB Tire stepped up and made a great deal, buy two get two free and 5 year alignment.

So hopefully next week I have to all finished. The Wheels and Tires are ordered, everything else came in the last two days. The Fedex driver just backed up to my rear shop to unload.

Thanks for all the advise and support to my questions and my concerns.
Where did you get the fsport floor mats from?

Quick Reply: My IS F-Sport upgrades