Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help: Megan Racing Sway Bars

Old 04-17-16, 02:07 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Of course! 👍 That was the 20mm version in the pic above. The stock front is 28.5mm too by the way. 15mm stock rear.
Old 04-18-16, 06:52 AM
sade04
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I emailed that seller. They'll eventually get the 20mm ones back in stock.
Old 04-18-16, 12:35 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Excellent! Hopefully this will help anyone who was thinking about getting these.

It was confirmed through a member's photos in the other thread that they are selling a temporary batch of much thinner 16mm rear bars, and they have welded collars. Mine bought months ago was confirmed at 19-20mm and no welded collars.

It would be better to wait for their new batch to come out.
Old 04-18-16, 12:47 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400V8
You will be happy with any aftermarket sways for the 2GSX00. Absolutely the best handling improvement for the money. I bought the $150 set of the 30mm Front/20mm Rear off of Ebay. The car doesn't break loose in the front anymore, and if it does its because I'm at grip limits, so the rear breaks at the same exact time. It's traction (and traction loss) is perfectly balanced between all four corners. When I first got them put on, jumping in the seat didn't rock the car like before, and I knew some sharp turns would be fun. Now I would really not want to take these off or daily drive a car that doesn't feel like this. Preferably the best setup is stiffer springs/lowered/sways which is what I have. Even though coil overs are good at getting real low, sway bars are almost exponentially more effective at roll resistance.

My car was lowered 1" with Eibachs when I bought it, so the sway geometry in the rear will be off. If your car is lowered at all, the end links in the back will push up the bar too much. I bought two shorter ISF links and it's spot on now. They are also the same end links for the 3G ISX00, and I got a used pair on ebay for an OBO of about $40. The muffler shop did have to cut them slightly to fit in the 2G diff cradle. The part that bolts into the rear diff is too wide, so he used a cutter to trim about a 5/8" on each side to fit.
Thanks man!
Going to refer back to your post when I get sways
Old 04-18-16, 01:15 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Of course! 👍
Also, when I was installing them, I remember reading it was easier to put the back on ramps to have the rear wheels equally compressed.

This was not the case! Jacking the car on stands and letting the rear wheels hang gives much more clearance. It is not a difficult job, but when the wheels are compressed on ramps, it gives very little room to work with. Again, I'm only lowered 1" so that might be different than some one on stock height, but I found this much easier.

I also bought new bolts for the front and rear. A lot of people snap the old ones while tightening, or removing.
Old 04-18-16, 08:34 PM
clintdaddy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be happy with any aftermarket sways for the 2GSX00. Absolutely the best handling improvement for the money. I bought the $150 set of the 30mm Front/20mm Rear off of Ebay. The car doesn't break loose in the front anymore, and if it does its because I'm at grip limits, so the rear breaks at the same exact time. It's traction (and traction loss) is perfectly balanced between all four corners. When I first got them put on, jumping in the seat didn't rock the car like before, and I knew some sharp turns would be fun. Now I would really not want to take these off or daily drive a car that doesn't feel like this. Preferably the best setup is stiffer springs/lowered/sways which is what I have. Even though coil overs are good at getting real low, sway bars are almost exponentially more effective at roll resistance.

My car was lowered 1" with Eibachs when I bought it, so the sway geometry in the rear will be off. If your car is lowered at all, the end links in the back will push up the bar too much. I bought two shorter ISF links and it's spot on now. They are also the same end links for the 3G ISX00, and I got a used pair on ebay for an OBO of about $40. The muffler shop did have to cut them slightly to fit in the 2G diff cradle. The part that bolts into the rear diff is too wide, so he used a cutter to trim about a 5/8" on each side to fit.
Thank you very much!
Old 04-18-16, 08:35 PM
clintdaddy
Driver

This is the item number below but it says 16mm rear now. When I bought mine about 3 months ago, it said 20mm rear. There was a thread about this discrepancy recently too that I'll put below. I don't know why they changed it, buy my rear bar had definitely been measured at 19-20mm. The stock one is about 15mm, so 16mm isn't much improvement.

Item Number - 321688626225

Recent thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...incorrect.html

Pictures of my 20mm rear bar with ISF links installed -

Looking good! Thanks!
Old 04-18-16, 10:27 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Absolutely! If you all want, you can let me know if you have any questions at all.

BTW Clint, those 3G 18" 5 spoke rims are some of my favorite. They really look great
Old 07-31-16, 08:20 AM
clintdaddy
Driver

Absolutely! If you all want, you can let me know if you have any questions at all.

BTW Clint, those 3G 18" 5 spoke rims are some of my favorite. They really look great
Much thanks brotha!
Old 08-04-16, 01:57 PM
clintdaddy
Driver

What kind of bushings did you use?
Old 08-04-16, 03:27 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

For the rear I used from Figs, they are from Superpro in Austrailia. You can buy them off Figs' website, they are the 19mm ones. Very helpful and great guys!

You can reuse the old front bushings (only 1.5mm thickness difference vs 5mm in the rear) or buy their 30mm ones- Be careful! You have to ask about the front ones. They said theyre not the same as the SC400 (which are listed on the site) and last time I checked the GS fronts were not in stock or actually listed on their website. Check to see if they have them, specify you have a 2nd Gen GS.

Rear:

Last edited by GS400V8; 08-04-16 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 07:35 PM
clintdaddy
Driver

For the rear I used from Figs, they are from Superpro in Austrailia. You can buy them off Figs' website, they are the 19mm ones. Very helpful and great guys!

You can reuse the old front bushings (only 1.5mm thickness difference vs 5mm in the rear) or buy their 30mm ones- Be careful! You have to ask about the front ones. They said theyre not the same as the SC400 (which are listed on the site) and last time I checked the GS fronts were not in stock or actually listed on their website. Check to see if they have them, specify you have a 2nd Gen GS.

Rear:
Cheers! Do youknow If it is ok to reuse the rear oem bushings for the rear? And just to reiterate, it is ok to reuse the old OEM bushings for the front?
Old 08-05-16, 07:56 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Well, you could re-use the old bushings for the 16mm bar they sell now, but that wouldn't even be an upgrade, as the stock rear is 15mm.
I got the 20mm bar when they offered it in their kit, and that one would not fit in the stock rear bushing.
You can re-use the front bushing, only a 1.5mm difference there. I would really email the sellers, and ask when they are getting the 20mm back in stock. See if you can even order one in advanced.
Old 08-07-16, 11:21 AM
clintdaddy
Driver

Thanks again bro!

Well, you could re-use the old bushings for the 16mm bar they sell now, but that wouldn't even be an upgrade, as the stock rear is 15mm.
I got the 20mm bar when they offered it in their kit, and that one would not fit in the stock rear bushing.
You can re-use the front bushing, only a 1.5mm difference there. I would really email the sellers, and ask when they are getting the 20mm back in stock. See if you can even order one in advanced.
Old 08-07-16, 12:39 PM
clintdaddy
Driver

For those interested, the EMUSA sway bar kit is 16mm in the rear. I asked the seller as the eBay page describes the rear as 16mm and some people have received 20mm variants. The seller confirmed that the rear is indeed 16mm. So basically it is only 1mm larger than the stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help: Megan Racing Sway Bars