Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

just installed Prothane GS caster, upper, lower control arms poly bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 10:06 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
The car handles extremely well with the bushings Kev, glad to see you are still in the game!! Were there other bushings you wish you would of done before getting rid of it? I'm thinking about buying a complete kit soon but wasn't too sure if it would be a waste after already having some installed.
not really in the game. more like maintenance.

bullet supercharger from Australia would be dope! lol maybe the diff bushings, I think figs engineering has them. I did the front and rears arms already. there isn't much more you need to do.
Old 04-13-16, 12:31 PM
sade04
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car definitely needs both the control arm & caster bushings but I’m still on the fence about poly vs rubber. I want my car to be tight and responsive but still maintain the Lexus smoothness. So my question is, has anyone done poly caster bushings and rubber control arm bushings? Or vice versa? Do you guys know of anyone that did that?

For the suspension gurus on here, if this is a stupid idea, feel free to let me know…
Old 05-23-16, 07:22 PM
bigjussin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k7q
i remember seeing Prothane releasing these bushings for the GS not too long ago. i decided to try it out, the price was great. around $100 shipped for the caster, front lower control arms, and front upper control arms bushings. good deal for me since i do all the labor myself. i have access to a press. design is a lot better then the daizen poly bushings people were using before. i only did the caster and lower for now. I'm waiting for new upper arms to come, since my upper ball joints were bad (movement play).

prothane bushing kit is for 98-00.
install is pretty straight forward. press out old bushings, press in new greased bushings. i had a little problem with the caster arm sleeve they provided, but i called prothane and they sent me the correct sleeves.

some might not like the poly feel, but i don't mind it. i am also on power by max coilovers.

ill let you guys know how long they last.

Prothane also has lifetime warranty. i never had to use the warranty before, so I'm not sure if its easy to warranty.

crappy picture, but this is how the bushing looks when the car is on the floor
Went to install mine today, and had the same caster bushing sleeve problem you did..happen to have the part number they sent you?
Old 05-23-16, 10:47 PM
k7q
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigjussin
Went to install mine today, and had the same caster bushing sleeve problem you did..happen to have the part number they sent you?
I didn't get a part number. I Called prothane directly and They sent me the new sleeves. I think I talked with the tech/installation department.
Old 05-24-16, 02:52 PM
bigjussin
Pole Position

went round and round with them twice today..finally got someone who's willing to look into it for me..stinks as the car's pulled down, and this is holding up other work :/
Old 05-24-16, 05:02 PM
k7q
Instructor

went round and round with them twice today..finally got someone who's willing to look into it for me..stinks as the car's pulled down, and this is holding up other work :/
That's sucks. I thought they fixed this issue already. I spoke with domanick from prothane? He said they were aware of the issue. I sent them my old oem sleeves too. So they can correct the problem.
Old 05-25-16, 10:22 AM
bigjussin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by k7q
That's sucks. I thought they fixed this issue already. I spoke with domanick from prothane? He said they were aware of the issue. I sent them my old oem sleeves too. So they can correct the problem.
Dominick helped me out as well..my kit probably shipped before the problem was known...they machined me new sleeves and are shipping today hopefully
Old 05-25-16, 01:19 PM
k7q
Instructor

Dominick helped me out as well..my kit probably shipped before the problem was known...they machined me new sleeves and are shipping today hopefully
Keep us updated on what happens.
Old 12-24-16, 02:26 AM
sameer24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner sleeve

Hello. I just got my prothane poly kit. what was the issue with the caster bushing sleeve? I am just trying to make sure I have the right sleeve before i begin installing. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-16, 08:29 PM
k7q
Instructor

Originally Posted by sameer24
Hello. I just got my prothane poly kit. what was the issue with the caster bushing sleeve? I am just trying to make sure I have the right sleeve before i begin installing. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas
The caster bushing sleeve inner diameter should be offset. Meaning one end of the sleeve should have a bigger opening then the other end for it to slip into the chassis bolt. I'll check if I have a picture, but won't be on my computer for a couple of days.

Last edited by k7q; 12-27-16 at 12:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sameer24 (12-28-16)
Old 12-28-16, 10:17 PM
sameer24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k7q
The caster bushing sleeve inner diameter should be offset. Meaning one end of the sleeve should have a bigger opening then the other end for it to slip into the chassis bolt. I'll check if I have a picture, but won't be on my computer for a couple of days.
Thank you so much for your reply. The sleeves do have different inner diameter on each end.just installed Prothane GS caster, upper, lower control arms poly bushings-img_20161229_010907347.jpgjust installed Prothane GS caster, upper, lower control arms poly bushings-img_20161229_010914154.jpg
Old 12-30-16, 07:53 AM
k7q
Instructor

Thank you so much for your reply. The sleeves do have different inner diameter on each end.Attachment 401438Attachment 401439
Those are the right sleeves for the caster arms.
Old 12-30-16, 02:29 PM
sameer24
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for clarification. Now i can finally go on and install these bushings.
Old 12-31-16, 05:54 PM
k7q
Instructor

Thank you for clarification. Now i can finally go on and install these bushings.

Here's a tip for installing the new poly caster bushings.

When pressing it into the arm. Use a big channel lock plier and squeeze the bushing as it goes into the arm.
Old 01-15-17, 04:44 PM
mistagill
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you buy this kit? I can't find it online.

Quick Reply: just installed Prothane GS caster, upper, lower control arms poly bushings