Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Help with AVS strut replacement

Old 02-29-16, 06:19 PM
gqwolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with AVS strut replacement

So "**it" really hit the fan on me while installing my tanabe springs. A series of unfortunate events ultimately lead to my struts leaking fluids as I lowered my car, thinking I was done (for the third time).

Any advice or recommendations on replacing my F-Sport AVS struts. As I stopped by one of the Dallas dealerships, I asked for a strut price out of curiosity, and they told me $410! I tried doing a google search of the Tokico struts, and only thing I could find was an auction link in JAPAN. I could go with KYB, but I wanted to retain the AVS feature of the car. This really turned from a simple project to a nightmare.

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by gqwolf; 02-29-16 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-01-16, 07:36 AM
gqwolf
Rookie

Just FYI -

KYB has confirmed that they do not have a replacement part for the F-Sport yet. The person at Tokico/hatachi automotive is on vacation.

I ended up buying an oem replacement online. part number is 48520-59725 for my specific model. You can go onto a few lexus parts websites and provide your vin number to get specific parts for your car; or you can call the dealerships. I found that online was at least 25% cheaper than the dealership.

And for anyone working on the suspension, please learn from my mistake. If your top strut nut is stuck; you should avoid clamping onto the strut shaft with a vise grip. And if you MUST, you should do it at the portion where the stop typically sits and use a rag or rubber to avoid biting into the shaft. You want to avoid any damage to the shaft where it may go down far enough to damage the seal that holds all of the strut fluids in.
Old 03-01-16, 08:01 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

that's unfortunate. Sorry to hear.

In the future, I would advise against using anything to grip the piston rod at all, even if it's at the very top underneath where the bump stop would sit. Best way is to use the right tools, such as a impact gun to take the top nut off or a pass-through ratchet so you can use another tool to hold the top of the piston rod.

Glad you found a replacement!
Old 03-01-16, 02:34 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gqwolf
So "**it" really hit the fan on me while installing my tanabe springs. A series of unfortunate events ultimately lead to my struts leaking fluids as I lowered my car, thinking I was done (for the third time).

Any advice or recommendations on replacing my F-Sport AVS struts. As I stopped by one of the Dallas dealerships, I asked for a strut price out of curiosity, and they told me $410! I tried doing a google search of the Tokico struts, and only thing I could find was an auction link in JAPAN. I could go with KYB, but I wanted to retain the AVS feature of the car. This really turned from a simple project to a nightmare.

PLEASE HELP!
how... what did you do to cause the struts to pop? let us learn for your mishaps
Old 03-01-16, 02:46 PM
gqwolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by dnasians
how... what did you do to cause the struts to pop? let us learn for your mishaps
"...And for anyone working on the suspension, please learn from my mistake. If your top strut nut is stuck; you should avoid clamping onto the strut shaft with a vise grip. And if you MUST, you should do it at the portion where the stop typically sits and use a rag or rubber to avoid biting into the shaft. You want to avoid any damage to the shaft where it may go down far enough to damage the seal that holds all of the strut fluids in."

I finished the install. Test drove it, and noticed a knocking sound from my driver side. Turns out the bolt for the top strut nut was not tight enough, so the knock was the top of the strut/nut banging on the mount. Turns out the thread got damaged and I couldn't take the nut off or tighten further. Went back to autozone to rent the spring compressor, and the guy told me it happens to him often and to either get an impact wrench, or use a vise grip on the shaft to stop the rotation and crank the nut off. Unfortunately, I didn't have an impact wrench, so I did the vise grip. Even with a piece of cloth, it bit into the shaft and caused a sharp mark on the shaft. After I fixed the nut issue (tap & die the strut bolt, bought new nut), I put it all together, lowered it - and immediately heard liquid dripping. The metal teeth on the shaft must have torn the seal in my struts and with the weight of the car pushing down on the strut, cause it to leak a lot of oil out of the strut. Thus the need for a new strut.
Old 03-03-16, 07:17 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

nothing that could mar metal should ever clamp onto the strut shaft. if you are in dire need, you should wrap the shaft in leather or thick rubber.
Old 03-03-16, 11:05 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dnasians
nothing that could mar metal should ever clamp onto the strut shaft. if you are in dire need, you should wrap the shaft in leather or thick rubber.
that's a great idea. never thought about using rubber or a belt. I could totally see it working perfectly!