Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How low is too low?/Is corner balancing needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 10:41 AM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How low is too low?/Is corner balancing needed?

Im getting my Megan EZ II coil overs installed sometime next week with an alignment right after, when they ask my about my ride height what should I say? I want to go as low as i can without hiding any part of my wheel and without any tire rubbing and scraping. I do plan on buying spacer later on if that makes a difference.

And should i get my coil overs corner balanced? Its not a track car and i don't drive too aggressive on the streets, its just a daily driver.
Old 02-19-16, 11:25 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

For height, just show them how low you want the car, or say something like, “I want zero fender gap and no tucking”

For corner balance, it’s not necessary for your uses. If you were going to track, sure, but as long as they adjust the height evenly, then a regular alignment will be more than adequate for street driving.
Old 02-19-16, 12:14 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info! Thanks
Old 02-21-16, 02:08 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on buying the spacer, i recommend just to do it, then to get it aligned.

I did corner balance the first time, so the next time I can do a regular alignment and know my car is fully balanced, track or street.
Old 02-23-16, 07:55 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueDat96
Im getting my Megan EZ II coil overs installed sometime next week with an alignment right after, when they ask my about my ride height what should I say? I want to go as low as i can without hiding any part of my wheel and without any tire rubbing and scraping. I do plan on buying spacer later on if that makes a difference.

And should i get my coil overs corner balanced? Its not a track car and i don't drive too aggressive on the streets, its just a daily driver.
You can tell them exactly this. lol

I would always recommend corner balancing, even if you're not tracking your car. Imagine a car as a four legged chair. In order for the chair to stand steadily, all four legs should be of equal length and therefore applies equal pressure on the floor. If one leg is longer, or shorter than the others, we have a chair that rocks, and is unstable.

By the same analogy, the suspension of the car has to be adjusted so that each corner "applies" the same amount of force on the ground, relative to the diagonally-opposite corner, so that the car does not "rock."

As a DD, I would get it as close without going too crazy with the scale measurements. If it's within a pound or two, don't kill yourself over it.

Last edited by dnasians; 02-23-16 at 08:02 AM. Reason: added the daily disclaimer
Old 02-23-16, 09:59 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

If you have the extra money, corner balancing is good. But if you're short on cash, then it's not completely necessary. Corner balancing is used on track cars to get the most out of handling in extreme (track) situations. When the cross weights are not even, then you can get uneven handling—like right turns create more understeer than left turns, as an example. But these are in situations where you’re high speed and nearing the limits of your car, the suspension and the tires. If you’re just daily driving, then you will likely not even be able to realize the benefits of a corner balance.

But if you have the extra cash and want it setup “correctly,” then sure why not get it corner balanced. Just make sure you don’t want to change your ride height afterward because you’ll probably end up messing up the corner balance and then the money is wasted.
Old 02-23-16, 10:19 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CLUM
If you have the extra money, corner balancing is good. But if you're short on cash, then it's not completely necessary. Corner balancing is used on track cars to get the most out of handling in extreme (track) situations. When the cross weights are not even, then you can get uneven handling—like right turns create more understeer than left turns, as an example. But these are in situations where you’re high speed and nearing the limits of your car, the suspension and the tires. If you’re just daily driving, then you will likely not even be able to realize the benefits of a corner balance.

But if you have the extra cash and want it setup “correctly,” then sure why not get it corner balanced. Just make sure you don’t want to change your ride height afterward because you’ll probably end up messing up the corner balance and then the money is wasted.
^^^ this. i have a "do it right the first time around" kind of mentality. if i know what my right height is going to be, i would dump the funds to get it leveled and balanced. but if you're planning on changing up heights, skip on the balance.

from megan:

While it is not absolutely necessary for our customers to corner balance their vehicles after installation of our fully adjustable coil-over kits, we do recommend it to maximize the performance characteristics of their suspension. The need for corner balancing depends on the intended use of the vehicle. During normal daily driving on the street, you probably would not be able to realize the benefits of a corner balanced vehicle anyway, but this is always recommend for a track-driven vehicle. Once a vehicle is corner balanced, we see a drastic improvement in the three aspects of corner weight, particularly in the cross weight percentage.