Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help!! Tein Flex rattling

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 02:22 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Tein Flex rattling

I have just raised my car leaving a fnger gap. It has also been stiifened up at max in front and soft in back. Just a couple of days ago, my right passenger side started rattling a lot @ low speeds. Have to get it checked up. Mechanic says its something to do with my bushings and that with the Teins, they don't come with any like in stock. Does anyone know what the heck might be wrong?
Old 04-21-03, 02:52 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the rattling noticealbe over bumps? Is it kind of a squeaking sound?

I think you need some lubrication, that should get you going

Seriously, try lubing the metal shaft where the shocks compress.

A good test is to keep your car in park on a flat service. Then press the front end of the hood up and down to get a bouncy motion.....if the car squeaks it might be fixed with the some WD40 or silicon spray. Make sure you hit the metal shaft piece. Do both sides on the front. Then repeat the pressing of the hood shaking ...if the squeaking goes away than you know it just needed to be lubricated.
Then repeat the process for the rear.

If this doesn't help, you could have a problem with the bushings....but seems unlikely. These bushings do not wear out so easily as the stock OEM.

Let us know what happens.
Old 04-21-03, 06:35 PM
LexBubble
Rookie

If lubricating the bushing does not work, try to get under the car and make sure that all the suspension pieces up front are tight. I had a similar problem on my Supra and it turned out that the anti-roll (sway bar) that I put on in the front was loose on the passenger side. Tightened up the bolts and everything was back to normal. Hope that helps.
Old 04-23-03, 05:33 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Am i supposed too have the stock bushings in place with the Tein's. My mechanic and I have gone over many things and the car is rattling like no tomorrow. Its a preety loud rattle as well. I don't know if the shock is already dead internally?
Old 04-23-03, 05:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally posted by dgtbullet
Am i supposed too have the stock bushings in place with the Tein's. My mechanic and I have gone over many things and the car is rattling like no tomorrow. Its a preety loud rattle as well. I don't know if the shock is already dead internally?
Maybe it's this problem I had... the sway bars are attached to a bracket that's attached to a metal 'box'. The box is bolted to the frame behind the plastic undercover I believe. Anyway, the box had come loose on my car, causing a rattle. Now it's tightened, no rattle.
Old 04-24-03, 05:39 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

My mechanic tried tightening all the bolts and still the rattling was there. Rattling was still there
Old 04-29-03, 09:30 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Refer to page 8 of the Tein Flex install manual, http://www.tein.com/ti/inst/6t76u.pdf

Reference the front assy diagram, and tighten the NUT M12 x 1.25 to specified torque.

If your rattling goes away, I accept $ tips.
Old 04-30-03, 08:01 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

I am really in a dilemna right now. My installer says there might be a chance that my shocks have died out from inside. If this is the case, that would mean i would have too take it apart, go back too stock and send them back too Tein which could take forever. However, i dont know if my shocks are bad or not. My car handles better, but has trouble with potholes, bumps and slopes in the road. Feels like it has problems rebounding. Anyone have any suggestions. Really confused.
Old 04-30-03, 08:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

How old are these coilovers???

Do you drive really hard?
Old 04-30-03, 09:00 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

They are about 2-3 motnhs old. For a couple of weeks the car was slammed and was very harsh. Ever since then their is no tuckage at all. The rattling is coming from the front only.
Old 05-01-03, 01:37 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default try this

i dont think its the teins especially after 3 months. ive heard replacing the front balljoints is a relatively cheap way of trying to trouble shoot the cause. i have a similar noise, but its intermitent. it seems to rattle more in cold weather??? anyways try it and post the results. good luck!
Old 05-01-03, 07:30 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

how much harshness do you guys feel when you guys hit smaller potholes or uneven rd. I have seen that in winter in the mornings, the car would rattle more in the morning.
Old 05-06-03, 10:07 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

So does everyone have some sort off rattling with their Teins? This is really horrible. I am beg. to think this $1400 was a huge waste of money. I am really dissatisfied with this whole upgrade. I am really thinking about going stock again, selling my parts and selling my GS4.
Old 05-06-03, 10:19 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default sell it then!

jeez dont let a minor set back get you down, there are always snags in the process. thats the beuty of modding, when you get it right, you leave it alone. if your going to go back to stock you should sell it, but really the gs is a great toyota! good luck!
Old 05-06-03, 10:22 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Its just that, i have come up with the conclusion that Lexus is too luxury for me and that I need a true drivers car with performance. I have taken the car in and out a countless number of times and the car is just not satisfying too my taste. The car is impractical too take too the city or on imperfect road surfaces.

Quick Reply: Help!! Tein Flex rattling