Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone here with RR-Racing USRS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-16, 04:48 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Didn't get to install the new bushings over Valentine's weekend. But this weekend looks promising!
Old 02-18-16, 07:55 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Don't forget to compress the suspension with a floor jack when you take the old bushings off and put the new ones on. Makes is so much easier.
Old 02-19-16, 12:58 PM
Gville350

^Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-20-16, 05:57 PM
Gville350

Installed the USRS bushings today and I have to say it was alot easier than I was thinking. Thought one would need an extreme amount of force with a pry bar in order to remove the LCA housing/bushing below the front crossmember. This is not so; and in fact, though I did one side using the assistance of another jack against the suspension, this wasn't really necessary in my case. It was actually easier to remove the LCA housing/bushing without having help from another jack under the suspension. I've got BCRs, and perhaps having these instead of factory suspension helped...not sure. But anyways, with an 18" pry bar between the LCA and the cross member, I was easily able to accomplish the most difficult task with ease. I also removed my wheels to have give me extra room to maneuver, due to not having a lift in my home garage. Side-note, a 7/8" socket works well if you don't have a 22mm socket. Thanks RR Racing for the simple instructions; pretty much idiot-proof.

Now onto the good stuff...the results! Though it did start raining about 30 minutes before I finished my install, I still took it out for some fun. Though I heard others talking about added road noise or feedback after their install, I'd not had those issues at all. My experience is 100% positive AND I have to say that HARD braking from 60 to 0 (even in the wet) was MUCH improved. And what I mean by that is that you're sooooo much more confident in the braking ability of the car and NO left-to-right tracking-feel that it use to have. I do have yet to do a serious HARD braking from a high speed; however, I'd expect no difference if the speed is doubled. And yes, I will test this when able. Empty 5-lane HWY in the dry...maybe tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Another thing I immediately noticed is the fact that the suspension just ended up feeling "new" again. If you've ever driven a 20yr old car like I have and then drove a brand new one with all of the steering and suspension being new and tight, you'll know what I mean. Just feels down-right awesome again; so happy I purchased these things!
Old 02-21-16, 02:36 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Installed the USRS bushings today and I have to say it was alot easier than I was thinking. Thought one would need an extreme amount of force with a pry bar in order to remove the LCA housing/bushing below the front crossmember. This is not so; and in fact, though I did one side using the assistance of another jack against the suspension, this wasn't really necessary in my case. It was actually easier to remove the LCA housing/bushing without having help from another jack under the suspension. I've got BCRs, and perhaps having these instead of factory suspension helped...not sure. But anyways, with an 18" pry bar between the LCA and the cross member, I was easily able to accomplish the most difficult task with ease. I also removed my wheels to have give me extra room to maneuver, due to not having a lift in my home garage. Side-note, a 7/8" socket works well if you don't have a 22mm socket. Thanks RR Racing for the simple instructions; pretty much idiot-proof.

Now onto the good stuff...the results! Though it did start raining about 30 minutes before I finished my install, I still took it out for some fun. Though I heard others talking about added road noise or feedback after their install, I'd not had those issues at all. My experience is 100% positive AND I have to say that HARD braking from 60 to 0 (even in the wet) was MUCH improved. And what I mean by that is that you're sooooo much more confident in the braking ability of the car and NO left-to-right tracking-feel that it use to have. I do have yet to do a serious HARD braking from a high speed; however, I'd expect no difference if the speed is doubled. And yes, I will test this when able. Empty 5-lane HWY in the dry...maybe tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Another thing I immediately noticed is the fact that the suspension just ended up feeling "new" again. If you've ever driven a 20yr old car like I have and then drove a brand new one with all of the steering and suspension being new and tight, you'll know what I mean. Just feels down-right awesome again; so happy I purchased these things!
That's great to hear Gville!! Thanks for doing this install for us lol. Now I know I want these on my car for sure. Does the steering feel different though?
Old 02-21-16, 06:08 PM
Gville350

^Besides the feeling of having "new" suspension, nope.
Old 02-21-16, 08:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
That's great to hear Gville!! Thanks for doing this install for us lol. Now I know I want these on my car for sure. Does the steering feel different though?
Actually from my experience, steering is improved due to less lean with the USRS bushings. Believe it or not, but these improved my cornering in my ISF like my old G35 (with struts) was improved with an STB.

Lou
Old 02-22-16, 07:33 AM
Trolling55
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for updating us Gville!

BTW, what is the pre-load adjusters for?
Old 02-23-16, 01:42 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

That's kind of what I figured would happen. Similar to the FIGS bushings, they do affect steering feel in a noticeable way, but it isn't night and day difference, and won't instantly make the car feel like the benchmark E46 BMW.

OP, you should look at a combination of both new bushings (from FIGS or RR) and the IS F steering ECU to give you the steering feel you are looking for.

Look here for info on the steering ECU swap:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ering-ecu.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...it-2010-f.html
Old 02-23-16, 01:52 PM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 538 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
OP, you should look at a combination of both new bushings (from FIGS or RR) and the IS F steering ECU to give you the steering feel you are looking for.

Look here for info on the steering ECU swap:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ering-ecu.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...it-2010-f.html

Based on my experience, I also noticed that adding a 4-point brace to connect your LCA brackets to the chassis of the car made a surprising difference with steering response.

The combination of all three components make the 2IS steering very responsive and communicative to the driver.

Old 03-14-16, 07:44 AM
Trolling55
Rookie

^^^

where did you get that brace from?
Old 03-14-16, 08:16 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer

Based on my experience, I also noticed that adding a 4-point brace to connect your LCA brackets to the chassis of the car made a surprising difference with steering response.

The combination of all three components make the 2IS steering very responsive and communicative to the driver.

Where did you buy the brace from redspencer? How was the install?
Old 03-14-16, 12:30 PM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 538 Likes on 320 Posts

They are a bit hard to find online. I ordered mine from an online website called Import Parts Pro.

Install is pretty straight-forward. You simply remove the six bolts around the frame and LCA brackets and reinstall them with the new 4-point brace. Since you're planning on getting the USRS, you can knock out two mods with one install.
Old 05-08-16, 11:36 AM
LeXmanG
Rookie

I'll echo what flowrider and others have said; my vehicle is an 06 350. The first thing in noticed was more predictable steering and braking, especially under hard driving conditions. VDIM would cut the power under hard cornering every time, but now the vehicle follows the trajectory of the turn without cutting power. Other notable improvement is the reduced inner tire wear. If you drive your vehicle hard with OEM bushings, you will notice that the inner edges of the front tires are the first thing to wear out.

Best upgrade I've done for the money because it improves so many aspects of the vehicle and its handling. Like any poly bushing, you will want to put extra grease (energy suspension 5) between the thrust washer and the bushing to avoid squeaking noise. The steering feel dose improve a bit... Mainly more stability and predictability.

That's my testimony, hope this helps. Easy job too. Can be done in less than an hour by yourself if your mechanically inclined.

Last edited by LeXmanG; 05-08-16 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-18-16, 08:03 AM
rrc4039
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys, I Installed the RR-Racing USRS bushings, there's a with a huge improvement on the steering and braking. However, I noticed a more "stiff feel" and vibration when driving on streets with imperfections. Is this expected?

Quick Reply: Anyone here with RR-Racing USRS?