Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Koni Sport Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 01:35 PM
Danais350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Sport Kit

Other than Shervin350, has anyone else installed the Koni Sport Kit set on the IS350? They are the Koni Yellows with the matched H&R springs. I am having them installed in a few weeks and was curious to know experiences or shock setting preferences if possible. I am surprised that looking through the forums that more people aren't using this kit.

Last edited by Danais350; 02-02-16 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-02-16, 01:49 PM
Danais350
Driver School Candidate

So now this is interesting... It appears that Koni just released 02/16 a brand new Koni Sport kit with Eibach springs rather than the previous model was with H&R Springs. I know both springs are high quality. Thoughts on which you would choose or prefer?

Koni Sport Kit with Eibach Springs = 1145 - 1032 (newer version)

Koni Sport Kit with H&R Springs = 1140 - 1221 (older version)

Thoughts or experiences? I wonder why they changed the spring in the kit. I have had H&R springs on other cars and loved them.

Dana
Old 02-03-16, 08:33 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 324 Likes on 140 Posts

google around seems like eibach springs will give smoother ride and H&R gives a bit stiffer ride...
Old 04-17-16, 06:00 PM
AiRuss
Driver School Candidate

Danais350 can you give a detailed review of this set-up??
Old 04-17-16, 08:30 PM
Danais350
Driver School Candidate

AiRuss -

Overall I really like the Yellow Koni + H&R Spring set up. All 4 shocks are fully externally adjustable. Keep in mind my IS350 had the luxury package. If I had the stock Lexus sport suspension it is unlikely that I personally would have changed my suspension. Just like in most cases you are compromising the cushy Lexus drive for a firmer ride. I prefer the better handling and awesome look of the car over the slightly more comfy ride with stock suspension. It sounds like Koni has the H&R kit or the Eibach Kit. I don't have experience with the Koni Eibach Kit, but by doing some research it sounds that the Eibach will give you a softer more Lexus like ride, but the car won't handle nearly as tight as the H&R Springs and the drop will be much sweeter with the H&R springs. If I was to rate each category of the Koni + H&R Sport Kit it would be like this:

Handling: Rating: 9/10. Car handles so much tighter and taking corners with little to no body roll.

Look: Rating 10/10 There is no question for me that the H&R springs give the IS350 an awesome stance. I can't stop looking at the little to no fender gap. To me it is a perfect drop in appearance.

Daily Driveability: Rating 7/10 I wish the ride was a little overall smoother. I think having had gone with the Eibachs it would have been a slightly smoother ride comfort, but I don't think I would be happy with the drop like I am with the H&R. I guess this is a tradeoff decision you have make. I also live in Wisconsin and our roads really suck. If I lived down south the H&R would be ok being a little stiffer.

Overall Rating I would have to say I am at 9/10. The only thing holding me back from 10/10 is the overall ride quality, but then again you have to expect to lose Lexus ride quality when lowering a car. I contemplated just doing H&R Springs with stock shocks to get the drop and the softer ride, but I prefer the sportier/tighter handling. Not to mention, my car has 82,000 miles, i don't know that I trusted my stock shocks with the H&R Springs. If I went that route, I would have considered new Lexus sport shocks. Since this is a kit, I liked the fact that the shocks and springs are a kit and made to work well together and that is exactly what they do. Here are a few pics of my car and how it stands with that Koni sport kit with the H&R Springs. Let me know if you have any questions. This installation was done professionally as well.

Danais350
Attached Thumbnails Koni Sport Kit-26175979095_f6d39d6147_o.jpg   Koni Sport Kit-25573328133_2fdaa4f8a3_o.jpg  
Old 04-18-16, 05:43 PM
AiRuss
Driver School Candidate

Danais350, Car looks great! Thanks for taking the time to review. Very helpful. The drop on this kit is 35mm or 1.3 inches all the way around, did the springs settle to this measurement? Any camber or tire wear issues? Also concerning comfort, what do have the shock settings adjusted to? And how easy is it to adjust the shocks once on the car.

Again thanks again for your input.
Old 04-18-16, 08:17 PM
Danais350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AiRuss
Danais350, Car looks great! Thanks for taking the time to review. Very helpful. The drop on this kit is 35mm or 1.3 inches all the way around, did the springs settle to this measurement? Any camber or tire wear issues? Also concerning comfort, what do have the shock settings adjusted to? And how easy is it to adjust the shocks once on the car.

Again thanks again for your input.
I am not aware of any settling from these springs. I am not having any tire wear issues but then again I had the koni kit installed just a couple months ago. I will know towards the end of summer when i put my winter rims and tires on. I did not like shocks at full soft so i did a quarter turn from softest setting on all 4 shocks. Plenty stiff this way imo. I can adjust all 4 shocks in about 3-5 minutes total.
Old 04-18-16, 10:21 PM
AiRuss
Driver School Candidate

Danais350, Thank you for the very informative review of the Koni/H&R Sport Kit
Old 04-19-16, 08:32 AM
Danais350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AiRuss
Danais350, Thank you for the very informative review of the Koni/H&R Sport Kit
No problem at all. I was quite surprised when I was looking at this koni kit that more people aren't running it. I would strongly recommend it, but with professional installation of course unless you know what you are doing. I am not too mechanically inclined so I know my limits. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 05-07-16, 02:57 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Danais350, nice pix. I wonder if you have wheel spacers BTW? If so, what thickness?
Old 05-07-16, 02:59 PM
Danais350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by buister
Danais350, nice pix. I wonder if you have wheel spacers BTW? If so, what thickness?

No spacers. Replaced stock suspension with koni sport kit
Old 05-07-16, 06:03 PM
ISlv350
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice review. Good choice with the h&r's. I had them with stock shocks and loved them but would've been way better to have the konis with them. Not that eibachs are any less quality. I always loved the stock silver rims with the sgm. (A little biased because I have sgm also) hah. Car looks great.