Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TOM Rear Lower Suspension Brace

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-03, 09:43 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOM Rear Lower Suspension Brace

Does anyone know if the TOM's Rear Lower Suspension Brace set up replaces part already on the car? (This would be the 6 piece link set up) Does it bolt right up to prexisting holes?

I'm looking at adding more suspensions parts but wasn't sure which will make the most significant noticable differences in the suspension....... any advice?

Last edited by jbbnet; 04-13-03 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-13-03, 09:54 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

No, the Tom's rear LCB is a new add-on to your car.

Anti-sway bars and spring/shock/coilvers would be your first choice.
Old 04-13-03, 07:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

jbbnet:

Need to make sure you're naming the right part you're asking about... you mention two different products. I've got both of them on my GS.

The Lower Chassis Brace (LCB) is a new piece.

I thought the six link was a total replacement, but then someone else posted that four of the six links are replacements for stock, and two of the links are new links. Both bolt up to existing mount points.

Not sure what other suspension mods you already have on your car to answer the "most significant" difference question. Of the two (LCB and six-link), I recommend the six link as making a bigger difference in the ride of my GS. I already had bilstein/eibach, trd sways, trd front STB and TRD front lower chassis brace when I added the six link and noticed a decent improvement in stiffness.
Old 04-13-03, 08:58 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DaveGS4
jbbnet:

Need to make sure you're naming the right part you're asking about... you mention two different products. I've got both of them on my GS.

The Lower Chassis Brace (LCB) is a new piece.

I thought the six link was a total replacement, but then someone else posted that four of the six links are replacements for stock, and two of the links are new links. Both bolt up to existing mount points.

Not sure what other suspension mods you already have on your car to answer the "most significant" difference question. Of the two (LCB and six-link), I recommend the six link as making a bigger difference in the ride of my GS. I already had bilstein/eibach, trd sways, trd front STB and TRD front lower chassis brace when I added the six link and noticed a decent improvement in stiffness.
Dave,
Thanks.

Sorry, for the confusion, I thought TOM's titled theses items Rear Lower Suspension Brace (the 6 piece set, braces help reduce the distortion of the rear suspension members) and the Rear Lower Chassis Brace (brace helps reinforce the mid and rear portion of the chassis)

After further research, I agree and believe you are correct about the LSB being replacement parts to factory suspension items.

Currently I have 19's under the L-Sportline suspension with the TRD STB. Looking to advance my suspension by eliminating all body flexing.

I'm considering the rear STB first since it's a not a prexisting item on the car. Then maybe Rear Lower Chassis Brace, but that depends on which exhaust I end up with. I was told if I get APEX WS without resonators, then I can use the square TOM's Rear Lower Chassis Brace.

Am I on the right track here with these suspension additions and should there be noticable differences once any of these items are added?
Old 04-13-03, 09:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally posted by jbbnet
Dave,
Thanks.

Sorry, for the confusion, I thought TOM's titled theses items Rear Lower Suspension Brace (the 6 piece set, braces help reduce the distortion of the rear suspension members) and the Rear Lower Chassis Brace (brace helps reinforce the mid and rear portion of the chassis)

After further research, I agree and believe you are correct about the LSB being replacement parts to factory suspension items.

Currently I have 19's under the L-Sportline suspension with the TRD STB. Looking to advance my suspension by eliminating all body flexing.

I'm considering the rear STB first since it's a not a prexisting item on the car. Then maybe Rear Lower Chassis Brace, but that depends on which exhaust I end up with. I was told if I get APEX WS without resonators, then I can use the square TOM's Rear Lower Chassis Brace.

Am I on the right track here with these suspension additions and should there be noticable differences once any of these items are added?
You're probably right on the name from Tom's, but it gets confusing when LCB sounds so much like the LSB! I'd just call it the 6-link kit.

You don't mention if you have sways... beyond the shocks & springs (or coilovers) those are by far the biggest difference in overall suspension upgrade you can do. Sounds like you may be focusing more of body flex than handling overall, though. Others may have a different opinion, but the Lower Chassis Brace probably made the least difference when I added it of all other suspension mods... may have been because I already had the six link and the Tom's rear strut-tower brace installed when I did add it. I'd personally recommend the rear STB over the lower chassis brace.

I've got the open type because of my Borla exhaust. The Apex tips are a bit too large for my taste. The sound on the two exhausts is nearly identical.