Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Small leak from bleeder valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15, 03:38 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Small leak from bleeder valve

so i have TT brakes all around, all of them are fine, except one. the front driver side has a tiny leak at the bleeder valve, by tiny i mean, it took me 3 months to notice that my break fluid wasn't at the full line.

my brakes were always squishy, i thought that was normal because of the bigger brakes on the car so i never though anything of it, recently however, my brakes are really soft, like i can put the pedal to the floor and i can't lock the brakes (ABS removed) when previously i was able to easily, just by pressing the brakes half way. i've changed brake pads and recently resurfaced my rotors so there's nothing wrong there. yesterday i bled all my brakes with no air in any of them, pedal still sinks to the floor pretty easily. could the leaky valve be causing such a soft pedal? i took the valve out and it doesn't look scratched or anything wrong with it at all, there's nothing stuck in the hole and i sprayed brake cleaner through it. could the caliper seat where the valve sits be bad? i really don't wanna replace the entire caliper, there's no leaks that i can see in the cylinders of the caliper either.

could this also be an issue with the master cylinder? the weird thing is this was kind of sudden. i put my spare rotors on to get the newer ones resurfaced and the pedal got soft then so i thought it was maybe the rotor being thinner or something, but now i have the newer rotor and pads and it's still soft. so i'm kinda confused. i'm gonna speed bleeder valves and see if that helps, if not, new caliper it is i guess.
Old 11-17-15, 09:46 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Re-bled the entire system today, still same thing, I'm able to lock the brakes now but still by pushing the pedal all the way down, but that might just be the new pads bedding in. I've been reading so much stuff and there's so much damn info I'm not sure where to start. New valves is for sure, for some reason the leaky one is shorter than all the others, so maybe it was replaced already once, so maybe the caliper is bad?

When I bleed that caliper i have to open the bleeder really far, otherwise the pedal is really hard to press and brake fluid barely comes out, but when I open it really far it's just endless bubbles. This is so stupid and frustrating.

Is there some special procedure to installing hawk pads? Like does one go on the outside and the other on the inside? I'm just thinking out loud now because i have no idea why this was so sudden after changing the rotor. All i did was swap rotors and bam spongy pedal, why!?!?!?!
Old 11-28-15, 11:10 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

changed valve, problem solved, pheww no need for a new caliper