Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clunking noise coming from rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 04:51 AM
mrmojo78
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking noise coming from rear

Hi guys,

I have an issue with a clunking noise coming from the rear when I drive over bumps. I had my wife drive the car while I walked beside and I couldn't hear the noise. I can only hear the clunk from the inside. Its hard to explain the sound, it's like a clunk/wobble noise. I just changed my sway bar bushings and all other bushing look solid. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-15, 09:35 AM
joebor1776
Rookie

I have the same issue. Today I had a friend drive the car around while I rode in the trunk with my phone, so I could record the sound. Does your sound resemble this?

I tried replacing the rear axle carrier bushings, that didn't help. I am hoping someone can help me identify the noise. From reading on this forum, sounds like there are numerous possibilities (strut mounts, struts, stabilizer bar bushings, differential bushings?, etc.). My car is a 98 GS400 with 135K miles on it. Strut test of pushing on the corners passes, but I realize that test isn't always accurate. Visual inspection of the strut mount doesn't turn up anything obvious.

Last edited by joebor1776; 11-11-15 at 05:19 PM. Reason: replaced bad-performing buffering link with YouTube link
Old 11-17-15, 05:27 PM
joebor1776
Rookie

Originally Posted by joebor1776
I have the same issue. Today I had a friend drive the car around while I rode in the trunk with my phone, so I could record the sound. Does your sound resemble this?

Lexus GS400 clunk / rattle noise in rear over bumps - YouTube

I tried replacing the rear axle carrier bushings, that didn't help. I am hoping someone can help me identify the noise. From reading on this forum, sounds like there are numerous possibilities (strut mounts, struts, stabilizer bar bushings, differential bushings?, etc.). My car is a 98 GS400 with 135K miles on it. Strut test of pushing on the corners passes, but I realize that test isn't always accurate. Visual inspection of the strut mount doesn't turn up anything obvious.
Well, I tried replacing the rear sway bar bushings, but that didn't help. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I should replace the rear struts? Thanks!
Old 12-17-15, 05:42 AM
joebor1776
Rookie

Well, I tried replacing the rear sway bar bushings, but that didn't help. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I should replace the rear struts? Thanks!
Any ideas based on my video? I will try the sway bar end links next. I suspect that it's the strut or mount, but that's a 250.00 fix vs 25.00. Thanks!
Old 01-05-16, 05:59 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

any update on this?
Old 01-05-16, 02:23 PM
joebor1776
Rookie

I changed the rear sway end link that is on the side where the noise is coming from, but that didn't help. I assume it has to be the strut or the strut mount. Just saving up the $$ to replace the rear struts and mounts at this point.

Not sure about the OP's experience though (I sort of hijacked the thread).
Old 01-05-16, 06:19 PM
kamlung
Instructor

mine is starting to sound like yours and i'm also leaning towards strut/strut mounts...
Old 01-05-16, 06:43 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Blown strut?

I had a similar issue in my older car (Acura) and there was a service advisory for the struts. Now the caveat being I have no idea if the struts are different, as I assume they are pretty similar from an overall design perspective.

The Acura problem was this (cut and paste from my post on Acurazine):

First off there is an official Honda advisory regarding our struts and "rough riding." I was shown this at the dealership and it more or less stated that upon lifting a small plastic piece could inadvertently break and become dislodged inside our struts upon full extension and degrade performance causing "4x4 riding."

Lifting from the body allowing the wheels/struts to fully extend.

Now I didn't hear anything rattle as loudly as your example, but I did hear thuds , but frankly I didn't realize how poor the struts were until I got new ones.

The ride, which I thought was normal, completely improved upon the installation of new struts. I couldn't tell how crappy the old struts were because I was driving it every day. The changes were amazing.

Just speculating, but that noise could be inside your strut.

http://acurazine.com/forums/second-g...talled-926223/

Anyways good luck!
Old 01-06-16, 08:13 AM
kamlung
Instructor

i can't believe monroe suggests 50k change intervals for struts...
Old 01-06-16, 09:02 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I mean it is a suspension company who wants to sell more suspension parts. Most people never even change the struts on their vehicles then wonder why their car rides like a 70s caddy when it hits 200k miles. But I agree 50k miles is overkill.
Old 01-11-16, 07:37 PM
goodyonsen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having an issue similar to this wobble/clunk noise described. Noise happens whenever I'm going slow on rough/uneven roads (also like in some parking garages). My rear shocks were replaced with BC extreme low coil overs. They probably have 10k miles on them by now. 22k dampening, really stiff so barely any shock movement. That's the reason why I'm kinda leaning to something other than the shocks/struts causing the noise. I was thinking rear axle carrier bushing or diff bushings. Who knows
Old 01-18-16, 09:11 AM
joebor1776
Rookie

I ordered struts and will be installing them soon, but now I am starting to suspect an exhaust hangar at this point. I hear the rattle occasionally on acceleration and sometimes (although more faintly) when in park with the car idling. I realized today that if the noise happens while in park or on acceleration, there's a lot of constant weight on the suspension, so it seems like a blown strut or bad mount wouldn't be rattling. However, I can't grab the exhaust and shake it to make it rattle.
Old 01-22-16, 07:23 AM
kamlung
Instructor

i think i may have traced my issue to the exhaust... i crawled under the car this morning and noticed that after the 3rd cat, the pipe that splits to the mufflers is resting on the crossbar... either a hanger popped or is losing it's elastic strength... i'll try to get the car up in the air, but not with this blizzard coming...
Old 01-30-16, 07:13 PM
kamlung
Instructor

fixed... see my other thread...
Old 02-21-16, 06:09 AM
joebor1776
Rookie

Lexus GS400 clunk / rattle noise in rear over bumps - YouTube

Well, I replaced the rear struts and mounts yesterday. Much to my dismay, the rattle is still there. Not sure what else it could be. Already tried taking everything out of the trunk (spare tire, jack, etc.).

Quick Reply: Clunking noise coming from rear