Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Mechanically Challenged Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-03, 09:33 AM
wineohs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanically Challenged Suspension Questions

I have searched the forums, perhaps I am not doing it right, trying to find the answers to my questions to no avail. My goal is to reduce ride float at highway speeds and improve cornering while trying to preserve as much of the luxury ride as possible..I have stock 17's on the car with Goodyear Ultra HP's (not that impressed with these tires) for summer...16's with Blizzaks for the winter.. After alot of searching on the forums I have decided to go with L-Tuned (and probably Daizen Sways) but still would like to know:

1) Can you put L-Tuned Shocks on a 99 GS400 with stock springs. Will this help with the ride float? Or will it wear out the stock springs faster?

2) Which addition, L-Tuned shocks or L-Springs, would make a bigger differnce in the handling without compromising ride. I may add both but am under the impression that the springs will contribute more to a harsher ride?

3) Roughly how many hours do these take to install, separatly or together..(Will probably have the dealer do it)

Thanks in advance,

Scott

P.S. Thanks to Ron430 with help via PM
Old 04-09-03, 09:56 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

(1) L-tuned shock will definitely reduce the float you were talking about. And on the other hand, you are also right about faster wear on stock parts. But I remember someone putting only the aftermarket spring or shock and the stock parts are still fine for like a year or two as long as you don't go to track with that kind of setup.

(2) What is L-spring? Lsportline you meant? If that's what you meant, basically it's Eibach but specially tuned with Lsportline shock (made by Bilstein). I had Eibach/Bilstein setup many years ago and it's the setup I would recommend to everyone for an improved ride without reducing too much comfort and spending money on coilovers. I sat in many L-tuned rides (both springs and shocks), and let me tell you, the ride quality is almost the same as stock, plus you get to lower your car about 1" (?). If you install them at dealer, you can also benefit the Lexus warranty.
Old 04-09-03, 12:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

1) you can use the ltuned shocks with stock springs, but your ride will still suffer coz' the shocks are stiffer.
2) don't get springs without shocks, it will damage your stock shocks pretty fast
3) both springs and shocks contribute to harsher ride, but shocks actually contributes more
4) usually takes about 2 hrs for the whole install at most. my shop did mine in a bit more than 1 hr. but i heard that in ny they do it slow and charge you a lot of hours

if you ask me, i would say get coilover, specially you said you "might" change both springs and shocks. for example the tein CS, you can adjust the height to pretty low, but still your ride would be as smooth as the stock. at the same time car isn't as floaty anymore and performs a lot better.
Old 04-09-03, 01:01 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone on CL or any real performance-oriented modder would get coilovers, but they are not cheap. it'll cost about $400 more when comparing average setups for both options. but you'll probably never hear someone who got coilovers saying they wish they got springs...
Old 04-09-03, 02:14 PM
wineohs
Rookie

Sorry..I meant L-Tuned Springs
Am not taking the car to the track just want to tighten up the suspension a bit...
Dealer quoted me 4hours @ $90/hr just to install the shocks!
How much are the coilovers that you are recommending, Rominl? Why do they perform better than L-Tuned, yet still maintain a near stock ride?

Thanks Again...Please keep the advice comming...
Old 04-09-03, 05:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well for example the tein flex and tein CS, they are closest to stock ride, and they are about 1300. a good set of shocks and springs, i believe it will cost you about 800 maybe? so it's 500 bucks more, but the coilover performs a lot better than shocks + springs (i can guarantee you) and it's still very very comfortable, if not more than springs + shocks