Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

3IS 350 brake life?

Old 10-03-15, 10:52 AM
Pralix
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3IS 350 brake life?

What life have you seen from your brakes? I'm at 19030 miles and they need to be replaced? This seems kinda ridiculous. I had an STi with big Brembo brakes that I got a lot more life out of. I can't do the crazy things in the IS that I could do in the STi. The IS is a lease so I am only going to put into it as little as I have to. I am contemplating taking it to a Toyota dealer to deal with.
Old 10-03-15, 06:29 PM
nayuta
Driver

Are you replacing the pads or the rotors themselves?
Old 10-05-15, 05:17 AM
Pralix
Rookie

The dealer says that both need to be replaced. I've been told that before on other cars (STi) and the rotors were able to be turned without issue.
Old 10-05-15, 10:30 AM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're not experiencing any pulsating/vibration issues, just replace the pads and follow the break-in procedure. Sounds like the dealership is just milking you but you can get a second opinion through a mechanic.
Old 10-05-15, 05:50 PM
Pralix
Rookie

Originally Posted by cquence
If you're not experiencing any pulsating/vibration issues, just replace the pads and follow the break-in procedure. Sounds like the dealership is just milking you but you can get a second opinion through a mechanic.
I had the 15000K service done at 17K or so miles at a Toyota dealer. The dealer said that the brakes were in the yellow on the sheet. I hadn't heard anything until I pulled out of my garage last week and the right front wheel was squealing like it was the brake, but only that wheel. I took it to the Lexus dealer because the wheel should not squeal while it is moving (thinking there was something wrong with that caliper, warranty work has to be done at the Lexus dealer). They said the brakes were at 2mm and hitting the wear sensor. I questioned them on the short brake life and they gave the usually "how do you drive?' response. They quoted me $460 for new pads and rotors. I told them I could take it to a toyota dealer and have the brakes done for $209 on special (including turning the rotors). They wouldn't budge on price and said the Toyota dealer would use Toyota brakes and not Lexus brakes. I'm not sure how that would be especially on the IS, since the IS does not have a corresponding UDSM Toyota model.

Of course the Lexus dealer wants to milk me. This is a lease and I am not going to put any more money into the car than I have to. As long as the brakes are equivalent, I am ok with it.
Old 10-06-15, 05:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dealers always BS you into replacing rotors. Pads are so dirt easy to change in this car, literally under 30 min for the fronts.
Old 10-06-15, 09:40 AM
cquence
Former Sponsor

There's no differentiation between a "Lexus" and "Toyota" rotor. Sounds like they're just blowing smoke. If the pads are worn, which is one cause for squealing, then just replace the brake pads. While you're there, you can check the thickness of the rotor and see if it has reached it's minimal thickness - which is stamped on the edge of the rotor. Save yourself the $200+ dollars and go to Toyota or do it yourself to save even more; like 4TehNguyen said, it's pretty easy.
Old 10-06-15, 11:48 PM
Toh
Rookie

Isn't 409 for replacing brake pads AND rotors a decent price? I looked up just the brake pads online, and they were quite expensive..?
Old 10-07-15, 08:39 AM
cquence
Former Sponsor

$460 was quoted by Lexus for changing out rotors and pads. $209 is quoted by Toyota who will change out the pads and turn the rotors. Online, I am seeing about the $220 range for the parts alone without labor. Also keep in mind, this is just for the front axle.
In this situation, Toyota has the better deal. Should also ask them for a quote on changing out the rotors as well.
Old 10-08-15, 03:00 PM
Pralix
Rookie

I found out that the price that I saw on the Toyota dealer's website ($209) was only for Toyota vehicles and not Lexus. I called to make an appointment and was quoted about $336 for pads and turning the rotors. Not sure what to do in this instance. I do not have the patience to work on a car. Last time I tried, I failed miserably.

I'm not happy that the brakes need replacing this soon and with this few miles. The Lexus dealer really didn't answer my question about why I was only hearing squealing from the right front wheel and not the other side. And the squealing was happening while the car was moving as opposed to coming to a stop. I think they just saw the pads being low and said I needed new brakes., I have never had a car that had brakes wear this fast.
Old 10-08-15, 03:20 PM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Don't be discouraged from past experiences. Like others have said, it's an easy job, and you can find guides online. Without having to break the bank, you can ask around for a trusty mechanic and get it done through them. Build a relationship with them and they can easily help you with cost in the future; they'll probably teach you a thing or two as well.
Old 10-09-15, 08:42 AM
Pralix
Rookie

I found an independent mechanic shop that will do the work for about $260+tax. I think that will work.
Old 10-15-15, 02:57 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

My brakes began squealing months ago at 8000 miles. I don't drive the car much. Had it 15 months. Took it in and was told nothing wrong. Squeal due to slight rust possibly from not driving enough.Took it in again a month later, and again they say everything's okay. Took it in a 3rd time recently at 10,000 miles. Now he saying it's possibly from braking too much.

I've got 9 months left to this lease. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. None of my other cars ever did this at 8000 miles. I've had G37, 335, VW GTI.
Old 10-17-15, 09:14 AM
Pralix
Rookie

That sounds like an even more absurdly low brake life than mine. Supposedly, irregularities in the rotor surface can cause squealing.
Old 10-17-15, 09:43 AM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I replaced mine at about 9k miles too repaced them with project mu brake pads and Stoptech rotors. Strongly recommend project mu brake pads, lesser dust, better bite and long lasting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3IS 350 brake life?