Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

3IS 350 brake life?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 01:39 PM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gpxluke
I replaced mine at about 9k miles too repaced them with project mu brake pads and Stoptech rotors. Strongly recommend project mu brake pads, lesser dust, better bite and long lasting.
What type of project mu pads do You use?
Old 10-18-15, 12:45 AM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Imprezario
What type of project mu pads do You use?
i think it's called NS400
Old 10-18-15, 11:39 AM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks!
Old 10-19-15, 07:05 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Those pads are expensive!
Old 10-19-15, 12:33 PM
TGIF
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Try out the Centric PosiQuiet pads. I posted about them in another thread. Very happy with them, and they are very affordable. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post9213117
Old 10-19-15, 04:29 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Brklyn
Wow. Those pads are expensive!
Are you sure you're looking at them in the correct pad shapes? They aren't the least expensive pad compound available but I wouldn't exactly consider them to be "expensive". In any case if you want the super low dust without sacrificing the performance there aren't too many options. If you don't play with the car so much or really mind decreasing the performance of the brakes there are several less expensive alternatives like centric posi-quiet (which we carry as well).

-Matt M.
Old 10-20-15, 09:55 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Are you sure you're looking at them in the correct pad shapes? They aren't the least expensive pad compound available but I wouldn't exactly consider them to be "expensive". In any case if you want the super low dust without sacrificing the performance there aren't too many options. If you don't play with the car so much or really mind decreasing the performance of the brakes there are several less expensive alternatives like centric posi-quiet (which we carry as well).

-Matt M.
My car has 9 months left to the lease. I drive on average 600 miles a month. I live in a crowded city where speed limits have been lowered and cameras are being put up everywhere.

So basically, I don't need great pads. I need "good enough" pads to make it to lease end.
Old 10-22-15, 05:45 AM
TGIF
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA

-Matt M.
Not sure that I agree with the comment about the Centric posi-quiets leading to a decrease in performance. I made the switch and believe that they are very similar to the stock pads. The big difference is that they do not bite as hard on initial braking, but I personally thought the stock pads were somewhat unnatural feeling in that respect. I find the Centrics easier to modulate, and ultimate braking performance to be on par with the stockers. I certainly wouldn't use them for autocross or track days, but for normal driving, I am quite happy with them. They are inexpensive, I expect them to be easier on the rotors, and the annoying issue of excessive dusting that the stock pads have is completely gone. I have no regrets with making the switch, and would not have been willing to accept a reduction in braking abilities.
Old 10-24-15, 08:28 AM
feartheyu
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the rotors are above min thickness, then you can resurface them and not yet to replace rotors. If there is a massive lip on it, then maybe replace the rotors. Even if it's an F-Sport IS. The front brakes all depends on how hard to drive really. 19k or more depends. I find it funny that you complain about prices, then don't lease/own a luxury vehicle.

4TehNguyen, don't appreciate your comment. I work as a Service Consultant Lexus Dealership under good management and we strive to do it the Lexus Way. That's how we became a top 10 dealership in the country. Don't knock everyone else because of one bad apple.
Old 10-26-15, 09:52 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by feartheyu
If the rotors are above min thickness, then you can resurface them and not yet to replace rotors. If there is a massive lip on it, then maybe replace the rotors. Even if it's an F-Sport IS. The front brakes all depends on how hard to drive really. 19k or more depends. I find it funny that you complain about prices, then don't lease/own a luxury vehicle.
Lol. You can't tell anyone what not to do. We lease/own what we like. This isn't my first luxury vehicle. I've been through several. Some that cost way more. And none of them gave me brake issues so soon.

My beef is that at 8000 miles, my brakes should not have begun squealing and if they are wearing down prematurely, then I should not have to pay. But yet, if I do have to pay, then I am definitely not looking to buy the best/most expensive parts for a lease that needs to be returned in 8 months.

So...find it funny all you want. It isn't really as funny a joke as your assumptions/judgments turn you out to be. Having a luxury car doesn't mean you have to be a ****.
Old 10-28-15, 03:19 PM
Pralix
Rookie

Lol. You can't tell anyone what not to do. We lease/own what we like. This isn't my first luxury vehicle. I've been through several. Some that cost way more. And none of them gave me brake issues so soon.

My beef is that at 8000 miles, my brakes should not have begun squealing and if they are wearing down prematurely, then I should not have to pay. But yet, if I do have to pay, then I am definitely not looking to buy the best/most expensive parts for a lease that needs to be returned in 8 months.

So...find it funny all you want. It isn't really as funny a joke as your assumptions/judgments turn you out to be. Having a luxury car doesn't mean you have to be a ****.
I agree with this.I know some people who lease will put thousands into the car to make it right for them, fine, that's their money. As for me, I want to put as little as possible into a lease. It isn't my car and it wont make any difference when it is time to turn it in. The Lexus dealer will perform the covered warranty work but I see no reason to go there for work I have to pay for. A regular Toyota tech is certified to work on any vehicle that comes from Toyota, including Lexus. This time, I chose to use a repair shop that specializes in japanese autos including Toyota and Lexus.

I think the brakes on a car like the IS350 should last longer than the 19K miIes that I had on them. It isn't an IS-F, or a Porsche or a GT-R.
Old 11-02-15, 08:41 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pralix
I think the brakes on a car like the IS350 should last longer than the 19K miIes that I had on them. It isn't an IS-F, or a Porsche or a GT-R.
Exactly! My breaks began squealing like pig at 8000 miles. I have almost 11k on the car now and I think they're going to need replacing before the winter.
Old 11-06-15, 07:23 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Exactly! My breaks began squealing like pig at 8000 miles. I have almost 11k on the car now and I think they're going to need replacing before the winter.
The fsport pads are quite good as peformance pads. They have a strong initial bite, lineal feel, and good fade resistance on the track. The trade off is high dust and faster wear. If you only drive around town, the non-fsport pads will fit you better. During my 5k check up, I still had ~90% life left on my standard oem pads. Akebono pads have even less dust, but you give up some initial bite.

Last edited by Noeh; 12-28-15 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 01:52 AM
DomLec
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my front pads a couple weeks ago for the Centric PosiQuiet pads and I'm happy with them. They don't squeal, don't generate as much dust and the braking performance are more than acceptable although they don't bite as much as the originals.

I replaced them myself with a friend who is an experienced mechanic; it was my first time replacing brake pads and they where so easy to replace that next time I'll be doing the job on my own. I don't know about other models but on my 2014 IS 350 F-sport , the pads just slide in & out from the rear of the calipers. 45 minutes both sides done first time!

Note about dealership: According to them, my discs also need to be replaced because they are grooved but I took advice from my friend and I just replace the pads. After 28000 KM (17000 miles) the discs do look pretty good, but the original pads were completely worn.
Old 12-14-15, 09:42 AM
TGIF
Pit Crew

DomLec - I put the PosiQuiet's on a couple of months ago myself, and had the exact same impression as you. I will tell you that now that they have been on a bit longer, I think even the initial bite is right up with what the stockers were now that they are fully broken in. I just couldn't be happier with having made the swap. And yes, most people don't understand just how simple changing brake pads really is. Honestly the "hardest" part is compressing the pistons back into the calipers to make room for the pads (since the old ones got thinner as they wore down). Congrats on the change!

Quick Reply: 3IS 350 brake life?