Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RS-R down springs lower on rear driver side of the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 08:03 PM
blackOBS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS-R down springs lower on rear driver side of the car

hello all,

I'm new to this forum and i don't know if this topic has been bought up yet but I've looked around and did not see anything for the 3rd generation IS models.

I've recently purchased a brand new 2015 is250 F-Sport AWD back in June. Today, I had a shop install RS-R Down Springs and I noticed that the the driver side is noticeably lower than the passenger side. At first I figured maybe the ground was uneven (which it was) so I found a more even ground and it was still the same. The front driver side is about a 1/4 of an inch lower and and rear driver side was about 1/2 an inch lower than the passenger side.

Is this normal? Does any one know why this is? I've called the shop that did it and he basically said that the shocks need some time to settle in because it's not used to being that low yet. If this is truly the case, shouldn't all of them still be the same height since it's brand new? I will wait a week to let them settle but i just wanted to see what other people's thoughts are.

Has anyone had any experience with this as well? If so, what was causing it?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.
Old 09-30-15, 08:21 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know for the RWD at least, the driver side rear was lower than the passenger rear.
This was the case for me and a couple of others have mentioned in a different thread.

Believe it or not, the driver side rear was lower than the rest from factory lol (again at least for RWD).
This was confirmed by another member on here.
Old 09-30-15, 08:31 PM
blackOBS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LexSense,

How much lower was yours after down springs were installed? Have they settled in a little bit to where it's not noticeable?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-15, 06:42 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

Springs SHOULD NOT settle. If you reset your bushings during install there should be no added stress which people call "settling".

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Loosen all the bolts shown in red in the diagram. The FSM says bounce the car a few times on each corner, then tighten all the bolts to the specified torque. This sets the bushings at a neutral position when the car is at normal ride height and minimizes the stress on them when loaded.

I cheat a little. I put the car on four jackstands, loosen the bolts on the corner I want to reset, put a jack under the knuckle and raise it until the corner just starts to come off the jackstand. I give it a little bounce, then I tighten the bolts on the corner I'm resetting. Move to the next corner and repeat until all four are done.

When you lower a car and fail to do this, the bushings are stressed at their normal ride height, and extra stressed when the car is loaded. This softens the bushing more rapidly because it is deflecting more than it should be. It can also lead to premature bushing failure, but it won't happen quickly.
If you reset the bushings you have not have any side lower than the other (unless the springs are bad).
Old 10-04-15, 04:19 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 818 Likes on 400 Posts

My 100% stock 350 Fsport is the same. And like said, we were a couple in the same boat.
I'd like to know what's up. I'm due for an oil change soon so I'll ask.
Old 10-11-15, 08:07 AM
jkwiseeyes
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a similar issue... 2014 IS250 AWD - got RSR Downs had them install about month ago... the driver side rear is lower than the passenger side rear... i don't know if it has to do with the way the shop installed or if maybe after replacing the camber will fix it... im a noob...
Old 11-01-15, 03:30 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I was just reading your thread and it's funny cause I had my RS-R Downs installed yesterday on my 2015 IS250 AWD! Guess what?? I'm experiencing the same thing! Would this be a potential issue or flaw from RS-R when they manufactured these springs?? I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has reached out to them...
Old 11-01-15, 03:42 PM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Answer
My 100% stock 350 Fsport is the same. And like said, we were a couple in the same boat.
I'd like to know what's up. I'm due for an oil change soon so I'll ask.
Was at the dealer last week and had them check out the "uneveness" (car is 100% stock). They did acknowledge the almost half an inch difference and said that the left coil spring was shorter... They ordered in a replacement part which will be installed on December 8th (it's the winter tires rush right now so I wanted to let it pass before going back)

Seeing this thread, I don't have lots of hope it will fix the problem, but we'll see!
Old 01-02-16, 01:40 PM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Answer, did you receive the replacement part? If yes, did the replacement coil spring level out the car? Just curious how this issue turned out. Thanks for any update.
sorry, completely forgot to update! Yes, the coil spring was replaced under warranty and it did fix the problem! Both sides are within like less than an eight of a inch now... Never thought the coil spring would do this, but seems like it!