Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Diy coilovers for $60 budget

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 04:01 PM
mahtogje
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diy coilovers for $60 budget

Basically this is for you guys who don't have alot of money to spends on a $1000 drop. So what I did was buy a coilover kit from eBay. It's best to use a set that close to the spring rate and weight load so I went with a honda accord.

Accord coilovers. 8 in coil 2.5 id sleeve

Next you would have to grind or remove the ring on the top on the strut so that you can fit the sleeve over the strut firmly

You can use stock struts. If you use aftermarket struts like kyb or tokico you dont have to do this. Remeber it for a low budget.

Next install the coilovers and install the top hats.

I check the height to how far the drop will be.

This is what the car before

Stock height

This is after

This is the lowered finish

The ride is smooth like stock no bouncing and a pretty stiff handleing. I hope this has been helpful for those who always wondered can it be done. For just $60.
Old 09-27-15, 05:17 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting... love the ingenuity.

What supports the sleeve on the bottom of the shock? I would be concerned about stress points if the load isn't evenly distributed. And how is the fitment of the spring under the top of the shock tower? Is there any adjustability once installed?

Thanks,
-scott
Old 09-27-15, 07:55 AM
mahtogje
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Interesting... love the ingenuity.

What supports the sleeve on the bottom of the shock? I would be concerned about stress points if the load isn't evenly distributed. And how is the fitment of the spring under the top of the shock tower? Is there any adjustability once installed?

Thanks,
-scott
So once installed the sleeve goes over the strut and fits snug over and on top that bottom that holds the stock spring. Now at the top where the top hats hold the stock spring the hyper coil is about 3.5 in around so it works on that part and yes you can adjust very easy. So when choosen hyper coils use between 8-12 in springs.
Old 09-27-15, 09:27 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mahtogje
So once installed the sleeve goes over the strut and fits snug over and on top that bottom that holds the stock spring. Now at the top where the top hats hold the stock spring the hyper coil is about 3.5 in around so it works on that part and yes you can adjust very easy. So when choosen hyper coils use between 8-12 in springs.
Thanks for the explanation. Great idea and cost savings. Nice!
Old 09-27-15, 10:34 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-27-15, 12:44 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I think I'm with Candela. I can't decide if it's brilliant or a disaster waiting to happen. Or both.
Old 09-27-15, 09:43 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

it works, not recommended considering the weight of these cars vs a honda accord or civic.

I've never seen a set that rode, every time I see a local honda for sale post with these installed on them. Its always described as "Rides pretty smooth".

Don't know how the stock struts will like this, they barely like espiler springs which is a little more than a 2" drop
Old 09-28-15, 08:14 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

this is extremely dangerous. NO ONE DO WHAT THE OP DID.

you are going to blow out your struts. there is no preload and the springs were not meant for a 3700 pound car.
Old 09-28-15, 08:43 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

WOW.....what are you doing....I knew with the title this was going to be bad

This is by far the dumbest thing I have ever seen.....
Old 09-28-15, 05:37 PM
mahtogje
Driver School Candidate

Somebody had to have the ***** a knowledge to test the theory. So a 2005 honda accord weights 3500 lb. The sc300 weights 3485 lb. So that is 15 lb off. So the the hyper coil spring will support the the sc300 with easy. Like I stated before the car rides smooth to be on stock struts. You can do this or you can buy lowing springs you just don't have control over your drop you choose.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-30-15 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Deleted an inappropriate sentence
Old 09-29-15, 02:24 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

how about just save up for coilovers and not waste the $60? if you don't have the money now, you might have it later. really dumb but whatever
Old 09-30-15, 04:08 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

OP - it is a public forum. Not every one would agree to your modification or way of doing things. There would be yay and nay sayers. It's your money and car , do as you please without worrying what others will say. As long as you are happy with it. The good is you got the proof and have shown what you are talking about and it's not a mere theory or hearsay that you are stubbornly defending so I commend your ingenuity .

I guess that is what all those $50 coilover kits are for, that I see on ebay. I personally would say MIGHT be a real good alternative PROVIDED :

a) those springs have the right spring rates / tensions to hold the car and are of good quality and works well with the strut you have
b) the sleeves are strong enough to hold the spring tensions and are of good quality
c) the hat is strong enough to hold the spring tension

Not all CHEAP mods are bad and not all expensive parts are good either. I have seen over $1200 coilovers and are pieces of sh/t or not worth their price. Bottom line, as long as it does the job WELL and RELIABLY without compromising anything, I am all for it.

I haven't checked in detail that stock strut with the spring out so I have a couple of questions for you. You took out the top cover of the strut to slide in the sleeve.

1) Aren't you exposing the inside of the strut to the outside elements like dirt and grime as you drive around ?
2) Can't you just grind that cover around till you can slide in the sleeve , in that way the internal of the strut are not exposed ?

Good Luck and keep us posted on how that holds over time and tons of miles . IF it does the job reliably without compromising anything for a good period of time then it can be a good option for those who want to save tons of money.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-30-15 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-01-15, 04:18 AM
mahtogje
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gerrb
OP - it is a public forum. Not every one would agree to your modification or way of doing things. There would be yay and nay sayers. It's your money and car , do as you please without worrying what others will say. As long as you are happy with it. The good is you got the proof and have shown what you are talking about and it's not a mere theory or hearsay that you are stubbornly defending so I commend your ingenuity .

I guess that is what all those $50 coilover kits are for, that I see on ebay. I personally would say MIGHT be a real good alternative PROVIDED :

a) those springs have the right spring rates / tensions to hold the car and are of good quality and works well with the strut you have
b) the sleeves are strong enough to hold the spring tensions and are of good quality
c) the hat is strong enough to hold the spring tension

Not all CHEAP mods are bad and not all expensive parts are good either. I have seen over $1200 coilovers and are pieces of sh/t or not worth their price. Bottom line, as long as it does the job WELL and RELIABLY without compromising anything, I am all for it.

I haven't checked in detail that stock strut with the spring out so I have a couple of questions for you. You took out the top cover of the strut to slide in the sleeve.

1) Aren't you exposing the inside of the strut to the outside elements like dirt and grime as you drive around ?
2) Can't you just grind that cover around till you can slide in the sleeve , in that way the internal of the strut are not exposed ?

Good Luck and keep us posted on how that holds over time and tons of miles . IF it does the job reliably without compromising anything for a good period of time then it can be a good option for those who want to save tons of money.

To answer your question. Yeah i inspected that part of the strut to see if anything will get inside. I did grind it at first but when uou do that it's gonna come off anyways from heat. After looking at it it was useless cause there is another piece stopping dust and debris from getting in. In due time the struts will be changed out with some adjustable kyb or tokico.
Old 10-01-15, 02:46 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been in a honda accord with these installed. And they honestly suck. Those shocks are going destroyed

60 bucks could have bought a full tank of super and a sammich
Old 10-17-15, 08:06 AM
rayray76
Driver

Default maxima curb eight is closer to the sc

Wonder if it would have been a better option to find a kit for a 1995 maxima...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-A...xWCeuk&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Diy coilovers for $60 budget