Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

sc300 low control arm bushings possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 06:28 PM
brad450363
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 low control arm bushings possible?

so my lower control arm bushings are shot and im about to order some but i have seen a few things that say i cant do the bushing on the ball joint? i found a set of three witch im assuming includes the ball joint bushing ill attempt to attach a photo. and i saw this video about an sc but he was using zip ties? am i supposed to? iv done alot of control arms but never bushings and yes i am renting a press.
Attached Thumbnails sc300 low control arm bushings possible?-_57.jpg  
Old 09-09-15, 07:35 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no bushing on the ball joint, it is simply a dust cover. The ball joints are NOT serviceable so make sure they are good to go before you replace the bushings, otherwise it's a waste of money. Nice bonus is the lca from the supra mkiv fits and is a few hundred dollars cheaper than lexus if you have to replace them.
Old 09-09-15, 07:50 PM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

figs engineering has supra/sc lca's with serviceable ball joints. i really would like a pair...just not in orange heh.
Old 09-09-15, 09:35 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Replacing the LCA bushings is a tough endeavor often requiring that the old bushings have to be burnt out.....

I had a shop do mine and the cost is a bit lower than buying replacements and having them installed. If you do the work yourself, a bushing kit is relatively inexpensive. Here is a picture of the box and parts used on my vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails sc300 low control arm bushings possible?-sc300-152.jpg  
Old 09-09-15, 11:31 PM
brad0
Driver School Candidate

does it have to be a specific year supra? sc control arms are expensive as hell!! lol how do i know if the ball joints out? the shop i took it to didnt realy tell me about the ball joints he said something about them but he was more focused on the bushings them selfs
Old 09-10-15, 10:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

there is a sticky thread at the top telling you the part numbers of the supra arms, you aren't the first one the look up the info, tons of people have them on SC's.

there is a test you do on the balljoints, if you have over 150k on them you shuld assume they are worn.
they might be alright for a while if they still check out "good" on the test, but how long till they do wear out?? I mean they don't last forever. I put poly bushings into my original arms with 130k on them, the balljoint checked out good, but the bushings squeak now (i guess they need regreasing all the time) and I am concerned about how long the balljoint will last, in short, I spent a bunch of time replacing the bushings (had to burn them out took all day and was not pleasant), and the labor, and alignment... all to wish I has stopped listening to what I read about how great poly bushings are on the net yada yada yada, and should have just grab some oem supra arms and put them in. the supra arms have a stiffer rubber they will get the job done to feel more sporty and handle better and brand new everything, I plan on ordering some and installing them just like that, my brothers stock supra tt feels 1000x times better than my poly bushings on the SC arms and actually tracks perfectly straight unlike mine, not sure if its the give in the poly or maybe the ball joints are starting to wear out, the squeak alone is enough to drive me crazy though.

I can understand people wanting poly everything on the track, but on the street the supra rubber bushings are plenty stiff and last longer than the original ones the car came with, and will never squeak. I tell everyone I know that unless you have to have poly for some reason just get some supra arms and call it a day. you will be happier in the end and a new balljoint that you don't have to worry about failing at a time which could be massively dangerous and even life threatening.

look up GS300/400 and failed ball joint, the google images of that will make you want to change them out eventually. our cars don't fail as often as the GS, but it can happen. most people say they let go when you come to a stop thankfully, but I still think what if it happens at 70+mph or in boost or taking an agressive curve... you can guess that you will be hitting the closest wall and looking for another SC shell, that is if you are still all in one piece yourself. just my .02c been there done that and regret it and planning on getting supra arms.

its deceptive when you just look a the price of the poly bushings, sure seem like a good deal compared to new arms, but then factor in all that double labor and the fact that the bad balljoint will eventually make you buy new arms, well then that money you just spent on your old arm actually was just a waste.

To do poly bushings on our LCS'a the proper way... you get new supra arms, and then burn out the brand new supra bushing and then install the poly ones, and smart people do that all the time. just replacing the poly bushings on old arms will only buy you a little time to get new arms, but in the end it costs much much more if you actually consider the longrun and doing the labor twice. I did the labor myself so it isn't that much of a $$ loss, but that is one day of hard labor I will never get back and I can still smell the burning rubber to this day whenever I read about someone saying to do that, its a terrible terrible smell and I did it outside completely in open space. don't burn the bushings in your garage.. its a bad idea, its really nasty.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-10-15 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
booga (06-06-17)
Old 09-10-15, 01:01 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I would not use the PSB bushings. They use plastic center sleeves. I would use prothane but they requires more work to install.
Old 09-10-15, 02:21 PM
brad0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
there is a sticky thread at the top telling you the part numbers of the supra arms, you aren't the first one the look up the info, tons of people have them on SC's.

there is a test you do on the balljoints, if you have over 150k on them you shuld assume they are worn.
they might be alright for a while if they still check out "good" on the test, but how long till they do wear out?? I mean they don't last forever. I put poly bushings into my original arms with 130k on them, the balljoint checked out good, but the bushings squeak now (i guess they need regreasing all the time) and I am concerned about how long the balljoint will last, in short, I spent a bunch of time replacing the bushings (had to burn them out took all day and was not pleasant), and the labor, and alignment... all to wish I has stopped listening to what I read about how great poly bushings are on the net yada yada yada, and should have just grab some oem supra arms and put them in. the supra arms have a stiffer rubber they will get the job done to feel more sporty and handle better and brand new everything, I plan on ordering some and installing them just like that, my brothers stock supra tt feels 1000x times better than my poly bushings on the SC arms and actually tracks perfectly straight unlike mine, not sure if its the give in the poly or maybe the ball joints are starting to wear out, the squeak alone is enough to drive me crazy though.

I can understand people wanting poly everything on the track, but on the street the supra rubber bushings are plenty stiff and last longer than the original ones the car came with, and will never squeak. I tell everyone I know that unless you have to have poly for some reason just get some supra arms and call it a day. you will be happier in the end and a new balljoint that you don't have to worry about failing at a time which could be massively dangerous and even life threatening.

look up GS300/400 and failed ball joint, the google images of that will make you want to change them out eventually. our cars don't fail as often as the GS, but it can happen. most people say they let go when you come to a stop thankfully, but I still think what if it happens at 70+mph or in boost or taking an agressive curve... you can guess that you will be hitting the closest wall and looking for another SC shell, that is if you are still all in one piece yourself. just my .02c been there done that and regret it and planning on getting supra arms.

its deceptive when you just look a the price of the poly bushings, sure seem like a good deal compared to new arms, but then factor in all that double labor and the fact that the bad balljoint will eventually make you buy new arms, well then that money you just spent on your old arm actually was just a waste.

To do poly bushings on our LCS'a the proper way... you get new supra arms, and then burn out the brand new supra bushing and then install the poly ones, and smart people do that all the time. just replacing the poly bushings on old arms will only buy you a little time to get new arms, but in the end it costs much much more if you actually consider the longrun and doing the labor twice. I did the labor myself so it isn't that much of a $$ loss, but that is one day of hard labor I will never get back and I can still smell the burning rubber to this day whenever I read about someone saying to do that, its a terrible terrible smell and I did it outside completely in open space. don't burn the bushings in your garage.. its a bad idea, its really nasty.

will these work? the title says "JDM 93-98 Toyota Supra JZA80 MK4 rear Aluminum Upper Control Arms, 2JZ GTE, " they say rear upper but they look just like ours? prob guna have to buy used cuzz i have no money lol what about burning?!?!? do i have to do that? i dont care of there rubber or poly or what ever im just trying to fix it on a realy low budget lol
Attached Thumbnails sc300 low control arm bushings possible?-_1.jpg  
Old 09-10-15, 02:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

did you read the post? if you are ok with rubber which is really the best for a street car then all you need is supra arms and bolt them in.
burning out the rubber is only to install poly bushings, some people only want to run poly so thats how you do it.

the other reason people run poly is to revive their old SC arms, the bushings will go and can be replaced with poly, but the balljoint is NOT replaceable at all. not going to happen.
its like a bandaid/temp fix to get your bushings working again which removes the famous clunks from bad bushings, but still you have an old ball joint to worry about.

you can get new ones which will be new and last a long time (about 270-300 a side online), or you could get used ones but then you have literally no idea if the balljoints are any good, or if the bushings are any good, or even if they are good how long will they last? if you are up for that sort of risk then yeah used lowers is all you would need.

The pic shows rear upper control arms, those are not front lowers, there is no place to bolt the shock onto if you noticed.
They look kinda similar but if you pull up a pic of a lower control arm you will see all the differences, they have different angles completely.

if you are on a budget then maybe see if your balljoints are good, does your car track straight right now? then maybe its worth installing poly bushings in your current arms, at least you know where they came from. as I said the labor is intensive, so saving up and getting new arms is always worth it. just live with whatever clunk you have for now or if you have unlimited time and labor install poly bushings and pray to the ball joint gods that they last before you do the whole thing over with new arms (only way to get a new balljoint is a new arm), but dont expect an oem balljoint to go 250k miles, it might not end well.

they do make the aftermarket with serviceable ball joints, but that costs double the toyota arms do.

if you want better advice maybe list how many miles are on your current arms and why are you replacing them....
and if your mechanic cannot test your balljoint, which is a very common thing to do, then you might also need a new mechanic.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-10-15 at 02:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ali SC3:
booga (06-06-17), Kira X (07-05-17)
Old 09-10-15, 05:28 PM
brad450363
Driver School Candidate

the car has 300000 miles and theirs barely any sound but the wheel moves like a **** i have been told the ball joints are gone by 2 different mechanics and actually the third one said it was my rotor lol not going to that meineke again lol i guess im just trying to figure out the cheapest way to go and if the supra years matter thx guys you helped alot also i i did read it my phone was glitching so i was only seeing parts i guess lol
Old 09-10-15, 06:28 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trying to keep one of these old girls up & running can be quite the monetary nightmare. I shop constantly online for the best deals to fit the budget to restore my SC. Not to many alternatives for OEM style control arms have I found, & nothing for rear uppers @ all Except OEM/Toyota/Lexus. I even drilled & installed Grease fittings in my ball joints to make them last longer. If you replaced all the arms in your suspension it can cost almost 3k for the parts alone, which tends to keep these cars as a rich mans toy, just to do upkeep. so it has taken me 4 yrs of careful budgeting to amass the pile of parts I have so I can finally begin the process of upgrade & restoration. Had to buy another ride also, as the SC has been my daily, with few problems other than fixing the old suspension. I most certainly would love to put all new parts under her but will just have to keep buying one part @ a time till I have them all. For now it's body & engine for this phase.
Old 09-11-15, 01:23 AM
acklac7
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
Trying to keep one of these old girls up & running can be quite the monetary nightmare..
I have to disagree.

Yes the control arms are a tough pill to swallow $$$ but if you do your own work AND familiarize yourself with a Factory Service Manual (from Toyota, not the one you find online in .PDF format - it's missing a bunch of important sections/pages) keeping these cars is not only cheap but CAKE (especially with all the information on this site!)

In the past 6 years I've owned two ('92) with over 250,000 miles ; I run the absolute living **** out of them, they don't give a damn about being run to high-hell in back, honestly they seem to like being downright raped every now and again (or in my case multiple times a day). That said I run full synthetic trans fluid, which is worth every last penny.

At any rate there isn't any Achilles heel to these cars, they are so dead-reliable it's almost absurd. Normal maintenance and knowledge/prevention of some of the known trouble areas (lubricating the Window track so the regulator doesn't break/motor doesn't fail) will get you a long, long way.

Again, don't be afraid to get on the gas, or downright abuse that engine/transmission. If properly maintained it will take every last bit of abuse, trust me.
Old 09-11-15, 01:27 AM
acklac7
Rookie

If you replaced all the arms in your suspension it can cost almost 3k for the parts alone
If you replaced all the arms in your suspension it can cost almost 3k for the parts alone
Two years ago I did both front lowers for $600 (OEM) last I checked uppers were significantly less?
Old 09-11-15, 08:22 AM
brad0
Driver School Candidate

Trying to keep one of these old girls up & running can be quite the monetary nightmare. I shop constantly online for the best deals to fit the budget to restore my SC. Not to many alternatives for OEM style control arms have I found, & nothing for rear uppers @ all Except OEM/Toyota/Lexus. I even drilled & installed Grease fittings in my ball joints to make them last longer. If you replaced all the arms in your suspension it can cost almost 3k for the parts alone, which tends to keep these cars as a rich mans toy, just to do upkeep. so it has taken me 4 yrs of careful budgeting to amass the pile of parts I have so I can finally begin the process of upgrade & restoration. Had to buy another ride also, as the SC has been my daily, with few problems other than fixing the old suspension. I most certainly would love to put all new parts under her but will just have to keep buying one part @ a time till I have them all. For now it's body & engine for this phase.
agreed! control arms are kinda expensive i cant find any under 200 to 300 but i payed 40 for a band new one for my kia pos and i think 60 for my eclipse but every thing els is fairly inexpensive but there is a couple things were i scratch my head wondering why the hell lexus would make it so damn expensive but then i remember mine has 300000 miles an runs like i litraly just drove if off the showroom floor damn theses cars are great! i was thinking about trading it in for a tiburon gt but honestly i just feel like the tibbi is going to end up like my eclipse
Old 09-11-15, 08:23 AM
brad0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by acklac7
Two years ago I did both front lowers for $600 (OEM) last I checked uppers were significantly less?

hell ya way less lmao

Quick Reply: sc300 low control arm bushings possible?