Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Low AWD improvement - RCA blocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 12:39 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default SAGE RCA Blocks - Review - For Low AWD's!

post-install review below

I'm looking to get the SAGE 20mm rca blocks for the front of my awd. I'm already on coilovers but want to go lower than where I am without putting even more stress on the car as I get vibrations on it. I understand how these blocks work, but an curious to know how, if at all, they'd cope with my plan.....

Ideally I'd like to add the 20mm blocks to the front and then just lower my rear coils by 20mm to even it out. Any idea if this will aggrivate my vibrations or not? I am at the so-called 25" fender to ground safe zone

I have forgotten, but is it just the front CV's that are an issue on lowered AWD's or is it the rears as well?

There are currently no rear blocks available for the AWD 2is's.

Thanks!

Last edited by Nixcision; 09-08-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-23-15, 05:59 AM
minato
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to my knowledge its the fronts you should be worried about,
should not be lower than 24.5,
I get vibrations also but its a hit or miss , I also had vibrations when I was at stock height
do you wanna drive lower? or park lower?
Old 07-23-15, 09:30 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Both! The 20mm SAGE kit drops the car (up front) by 20mm lol. This is about 0.75" , which means I'll be out of the safe zone, but in a different manner if that makes sense. I'm "lowering" the car but in a different way. Then I'd actually lower my rear coils to even it out, and have an overall ride the sits and drives lower!
Old 07-23-15, 10:06 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Once I lower more, I hope to camber out a bit too for some nice fitment
Old 07-23-15, 08:43 PM
minato
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go for it and keep us updated
this thread should help
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...rs-needed.html
Old 07-24-15, 07:51 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

RCA blocks ordered. Lets see how this goes!
Old 07-25-15, 11:55 AM
Awd250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I was looking into them as well and read all the threads about them. Mostly on GS and not our is. Can't wait to get your input on them and mayb I will pull the trigger as well pending your review of course
Old 07-26-15, 02:25 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah the GS's seem to have similar vibration and wobbling issues, addressed with these or substituted by these for better ride height instead of coils.

I did hear a few IS members a while back mentioning how these did in fact help with the vibrations they were getting.

I'll let you know how it goes! I did order them from PHML (Pete), the guy behind them, who's also a moderator here on ClubLexus! Super nice guy to deal with, and gave a detailed diy for it as well.

I did ask Pete about the vibrations etc, and he did say he was unsure and how every car is different. Based on that and the countless GS forums on this, I'd say that the purpose of these blocks is not exclusive to fixing AWD problems, but instead, lower the car in a cheaper manner as opposed to coilovers or even springs for that manner. It just so happens that this change to the front suspension aids in AWD problems for us owners
Old 08-01-15, 10:53 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Blocks and hardware have arrived. I should be installing them and setting my new-ish stance within the next few days!
Old 08-03-15, 01:31 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Default The Review

Alright, so I installed the SAGE RCA blocks, and have driven a round a bit on residential roads and freeways.

Review:

I bought these from Pete, a senior moderator here on ClubLexus (PHML). http://lexi-imports.blogspot.ca/2012...-30mm-for.html

I ordered the 20mm blocks, as they were the only was that supposedly fit my 17" winter wheels. (I didn't want to have to remove these every season).

When I installed them, I was already sitting at 25" fender to ground and this was supposed to lower the front by an additional 20mm (~0.7"), so immediately after installing them, I raised my front coilovers by 10mm ---- this gave me a fender to ground height of 62.5cm or approx 24.5" .... this eliminated the wheel gap completely!

I should say that the install was a tad bit tricky... Separating the lower arm from the hub, aside from removing the two bolts, required quite a bit of force. Also, everything needs to be lined up with the hub and arm where the lower ball joint sits to be able to re-insert the new bolts and thread them through the blocks and into the hub. Once you get it, you're good to go.

Something curious was a result.... for the first 20 minutes or so of driving, including backing out of my garage and driveway, there were NO vibrations. None. Whereas the moment I backed out of my driveway when I installed my coilovers, they were present right away!

Today, the day after, the vibrations are back (or at least I've begun to notice them again). I notice them on inclines (backing out of my driveway) and at stationary positions in "drive".

I will be getting an alignment tomorrow (I did drop the rears to match the front so my car sits lower now) so maybe that'll help, because people do get vibrations when the car is misaligned. I hope to add a bit of negative camber as well.

Build quality seems good so far, and proper torque specs were used to ensure the blocks were secured properly (90ft.lbs)... be careful not to over-torque as you wouldn't want these to break!

I am now able to be lower, without actually lowering my car.

Last edited by Nixcision; 08-03-15 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-22-20, 08:31 PM
Geezey617
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nixcision
Alright, so I installed the SAGE RCA blocks, and have driven a round a bit on residential roads and freeways.

Review:

I bought these from Pete, a senior moderator here on ClubLexus (PHML). http://lexi-imports.blogspot.ca/2012...-30mm-for.html

I ordered the 20mm blocks, as they were the only was that supposedly fit my 17" winter wheels. (I didn't want to have to remove these every season).

When I installed them, I was already sitting at 25" fender to ground and this was supposed to lower the front by an additional 20mm (~0.7"), so immediately after installing them, I raised my front coilovers by 10mm ---- this gave me a fender to ground height of 62.5cm or approx 24.5" .... this eliminated the wheel gap completely!

I should say that the install was a tad bit tricky... Separating the lower arm from the hub, aside from removing the two bolts, required quite a bit of force. Also, everything needs to be lined up with the hub and arm where the lower ball joint sits to be able to re-insert the new bolts and thread them through the blocks and into the hub. Once you get it, you're good to go.

Something curious was a result.... for the first 20 minutes or so of driving, including backing out of my garage and driveway, there were NO vibrations. None. Whereas the moment I backed out of my driveway when I installed my coilovers, they were present right away!

Today, the day after, the vibrations are back (or at least I've begun to notice them again). I notice them on inclines (backing out of my driveway) and at stationary positions in "drive".

I will be getting an alignment tomorrow (I did drop the rears to match the front so my car sits lower now) so maybe that'll help, because people do get vibrations when the car is misaligned. I hope to add a bit of negative camber as well.

Build quality seems good so far, and proper torque specs were used to ensure the blocks were secured properly (90ft.lbs)... be careful not to over-torque as you wouldn't want these to break!

I am now able to be lower, without actually lowering my car.
after everything was all said and done what is the outcome do they help after you did your alignment and did you get the rear assembly too RCA