Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How would I know to replace the suspension bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 08:20 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How would I know to replace the suspension bushings?

Like the title says, I see a bunch of people replacing their suspension bushings in their SC but I'm curious what is the big red flag that determines that this maintenance needs to be done?

I haven't received my SC300 yet, but I plan on replacing the suspension bushings on it while I install my coil overs. Which suspension bushings are the budget buyers using to maintain the drive comfort in their SC? Upper and lower on each axle?
Old 07-13-15, 08:37 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just jacking up your car with no load on the suspension will allow you to check for up/down and fore/aft play in your bushings. Your wheels should be solid, any movement is suspect.

I had a set of Energy poly bushings sitting around for at least six years, finally got the rears put in because I knew that one of the uppers was worn. Made a nice difference; my steering had been starting to dart left and right while traveling down straight roads and I actually suspected that it was time to have my steering rack bushings done, but the new rear suspension bushings took care of that problem.

When I find time, I'll get the fronts done, not looking forward to it.
Old 07-13-15, 09:34 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Photon440
Just jacking up your car with no load on the suspension will allow you to check for up/down and fore/aft play in your bushings. Your wheels should be solid, any movement is suspect.

I had a set of Energy poly bushings sitting around for at least six years, finally got the rears put in because I knew that one of the uppers was worn. Made a nice difference; my steering had been starting to dart left and right while traveling down straight roads and I actually suspected that it was time to have my steering rack bushings done, but the new rear suspension bushings took care of that problem.

When I find time, I'll get the fronts done, not looking forward to it.
Thanks, is there a DIY laying around anywhere or pictures of each of these bushings?
Old 07-13-15, 09:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

there is alot more info in the suspension sub forum, which is where this thread has been moved now =)
Normally you start to get a clunk especially from going from drive to reverse or vice versa, or up or down inclines at angles etc..

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-13-15 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-13-15, 02:01 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
there is alot more info in the suspension sub forum, which is where this thread has been moved now =)
Normally you start to get a clunk especially from going from drive to reverse or vice versa, or up or down inclines at angles etc..
Thanks for moving this, my apologies

Are these the bushings ontop of the coilover system? I know in my IS i've replaced these when hitting dips and come to find out the bushing was torn up, but these were right under the top hats on the after market coils.
Old 07-14-15, 09:05 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
Thanks for moving this, my apologies

Are these the bushings ontop of the coilover system? I know in my IS i've replaced these when hitting dips and come to find out the bushing was torn up, but these were right under the top hats on the after market coils.

Dude,

I believe he's referring to the two bushings at the lower control arm (LCA) and the two bushings at the upper control arm (UCA). The bushings at the LCA see a lot more wear and abuse than the UCA bushings do in normal driving. Remove the wheel from the corner you're concerned with and you'll see everything rather easily.

- Chester
Old 07-14-15, 10:27 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

deegee you are talking about the top hat bushings, those wear out less on these cars but should generally be replaced when doing shocks. aftermarket coilovers come with new top hats installed already its the very top part of the shock.

what I was talking about is the lower control arm bushings, see the 2 large bushings on each of these control arms where the zip ties go through.
The bottom of the shock absorber mounts onto the top of this arm where you see that bracket close to the balljoints with the red boot, so its called the lower control arm.
as you can see in the picture once removed from the vehicle, the bushings are practically falling apart on one side.
Name:  P1110204.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  194.2 KB
Old 07-15-15, 12:14 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest they are rubber bushings and rubber disintegrates over time. So even if a car has low miles, its likely the bushes need replacing if its 15+ years old!
Old 07-16-15, 12:51 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

I had a derp moment thanks for clearing this up. Looks like I'll need to buy a kit for the front and rears (might as well) once I do my coilovers.
Old 08-20-15, 08:10 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Question.. I just did my steering rack and lower control arms and STILL have the clunk while switching from reverse to drive or on hard braking. The end links, tie rods and ball joints are all tight and in great shape. Just had a 4 wheel alignment and I'm green in all corners. I don't think I've seen uppers ever go bad on SC's but it's of course possible. Motor/trans mounts maybe? What should I tackle first?
Old 08-22-15, 04:24 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Question.. I just did my steering rack and lower control arms and STILL have the clunk while switching from reverse to drive or on hard braking. The end links, tie rods and ball joints are all tight and in great shape. Just had a 4 wheel alignment and I'm green in all corners. I don't think I've seen uppers ever go bad on SC's but it's of course possible. Motor/trans mounts maybe? What should I tackle first?
I believe(and hope) this is the resolution to the problem. Although I don't have a clunk on hard braking, but I do have the clunk going into drive(usually in the morning). I did my transmission mount so I can rule that out. I'm wondering if anyone has a cheaper alternative to these...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...w-product.html