Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tuning coilovers for best handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 08:54 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to say it is 99% tires. I run Yokohama YK580 all seasons on the street and Dunlop Direzza zii for my track tires. When I make the swap with no other modifications it completely transforms the car. It is not just the additional grip of the summer tires that makes a difference. It is also the stiffer sidewalls and less flex in the tire that makes it handle so much better. Like others have said you can stiffen up your coilovers or lower the car for a bit better performance but it sill never counteract the lack of performance in the all seasons tires.

Alinement would also be helpful but with the stock suspension there is not much you can do. If you put camber arms front and rear to give your self proper performance camber there would be benefits there as well.
Old 07-14-15, 10:00 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Meagan EZ coilover springs are pretty soft to begin with even with the dampers set to fully hard. My IS is the first car ive had with Megan EZ's and they are pretty soft compared to other brands I have had before so that is where lies problem #1. Stiffer springs will help there.

I have an AWD that would only bottom out on the driver side due to me and also the front diff being on the driver side so I also adjusted the preload on the left relative to the weight and that also evened out sway.

Sway bars upfront also eliminate that too so go the free option and mess around with your adjutments before making any other changes

Also Tires is a HUGE part in how your car feels. Decent summer tires will grip substantially harder than All seasons
Old 07-14-15, 03:10 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I ended up just raising the back a bit for now, it was lower than I had originally intended and things already feel better. I am guessing some of you guys are right and it was just the alignment thrown off.

I think the reason I never had the issue before when changing ride height is that I did front and rear changes equally. Where this time I only moved the back and I guess that changed the geometry enough.

Unfortunately, a wheel stud broke off inside the lug nut when I was removing the wheel. Quick trip to the parts store and an extra half hour of time and I am back to all good!

One of these days I will have to do a photoshoot. My car looks night and day different from when I first joined the site.
Old 07-14-15, 07:10 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding the alignment, I just got mine done after a new coilover install from stock height. I am by no means slammed and have a 1.5 finger gap in the front and 2 finger gap in the rear on oem rims/tires. My front camber went from -.5* to -1.8*, rears went from -1* to -1.6*. My front toe went from .05*/.05* to -.15*/.1* and the fear went from .1*/.1* to .2*/.3*. My SAI went from 10.6*/10.4* to 11.8*/12*. Goes to show that even the slightest drop can reep havoc on your alignment specs.
Old 07-15-15, 08:46 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
Regarding the alignment, I just got mine done after a new coilover install from stock height. I am by no means slammed and have a 1.5 finger gap in the front and 2 finger gap in the rear on oem rims/tires. My front camber went from -.5* to -1.8*, rears went from -1* to -1.6*. My front toe went from .05*/.05* to -.15*/.1* and the fear went from .1*/.1* to .2*/.3*. My SAI went from 10.6*/10.4* to 11.8*/12*. Goes to show that even the slightest drop can reep havoc on your alignment specs.
Good to know. I guess I will eventually have to get another alignment done. I just want to make sure that everything is exactly how I want it first
Old 07-25-15, 01:13 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Don't slam ur car. Best to keep it within an inch and half. Corner balance the suspension with a quality alignment and you will be good. Megan ez isn't much of an improvement over stock suspension Anyways. Not setting the Coilovers up correctly can make ur car handling ****tier.