Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A few questions about coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-15, 08:11 PM
Munch517
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few questions about coilovers

I'm trying to plan on what coilovers I'll be getting and I could use some guidance.

I'd like to spend less than $1000 if possible on some performance oriented coilovers. I only plan on dropping the car an inch, maybe two at the very most and I plan on getting 18x8" wheels in the front and 18x9" ones in the rear. Will I be able to get anything quality that meets my needs at that price point?

I'm also wondering what is the advantage of the HKS and other high end brands, are they worth it? Can an sc300 ever become an agile enough car to justify almost $2000 on suspension? I ask because if there's a true advantage in handling I can just wait and go with HKS or similar brand when I have the money.
Old 07-07-15, 12:59 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What are your plans for the car? Is it a daily driver or do you want to turn it into a track/drift car?

For a nice daily I'd look into either a used set of OEM MKIV Supra coilovers or search this forum for the GIXXER_DREW suspension. An inch will probably be the maximum amount of drop you'll see from either though so it wont go super low if that's what you want. However, you can get the used Supra setup for $200 - $300 bucks and the GIXXER_DREW setup should cost you a little under $1000 to put together. The GD setup will offer you even more flexibility as you can pick your spring rate and all the parts will be brand new. Both are based off of Bilstein shocks which are right at the top for best shocks available imo.

As for aftermarket choices I'll let others chime in as I haven't looked at those options too much. I went with a used OEM Supra setup because I wanted minimal drop with a quality OE style ride.
Old 07-07-15, 01:30 AM
Munch517
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After looking into the gixxer_drew road/track setup, that seems like a simple choice for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-07-15, 01:41 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No problem. Make sure you do some research on the shocks though as the models (AK1242/43 I think) have changed since the original guide was written. I believe the current versions are a little longer than the originals so they may need to be slightly modified to work. Or you can look at buying someone's OE Supra shocks and having them re-valved by Bilstein for a nominal fee.