Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

changing coilover height

Old 07-02-15, 07:11 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default changing coilover height

Hello,

Ive been doing some research and on certain sites I read that for new coils I should install the coils on their default height (factory height) without any adjustment. After they have been on the car on the default height for a period of time, I can then change the height.

Is this true? Any reason why I cant install the coils and adjust the height on the same day?

I have BC's 16k/12k

Thanks.
Old 07-02-15, 07:54 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why have they said to install at default height? I wouldn't slam the car out of the gate because the springs might settle a bit, but provided you give yourself a bit of room, I don't see why you couldn't drop it an inch or so, aftermarket tires and wheels notwithstanding.
Old 07-02-15, 08:25 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scott1256c
Why have they said to install at default height? I wouldn't slam the car out of the gate because the springs might settle a bit, but provided you give yourself a bit of room, I don't see why you couldn't drop it an inch or so, aftermarket tires and wheels notwithstanding.
Its exactly as you say. I read the springs need time to settle. So basically just dont slam the car till the coils have been broken into.

I as under the assumption that no height adjustments can be done till the springs are settled.
Old 07-02-15, 09:27 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

You can set it where you want it. Only reason they install at pre set so you can work your way to where you want it to sit. I've install to set of coilover on my car and lowered it as I wanted with no issue. My height never end up changing or so call settle. Maybe on regular lowering spring not coilovers.
Old 07-02-15, 01:17 PM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

"Set it, and forget it!"

But honestly, install the coils at each corner with the springs snugged up against the top mount AND then add another two wrenches width of additional pre-load by turning the collar at the base of the spring until you can fit the handle of both supplied wrenches in-between the upper and lower "locking" collars. Then tighten lower locking collar against the upper until tight. Watch the upper collar for any movement when tightening.

Then with the coilover adjustable body locking collar loose, lower or raise the entire coilover assembly using the now locked spring collars. If wanting to lower the car, lower the adjustable coilover body into the lower portion of the shock body. If wanting to raise it, visa versa.
Old 07-02-15, 04:23 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I adjusted my coilovers to a ballpark height prior to installing using the stock strut assembly as reference. I ended up adjusting them 3 more times to get the ride height and forward rake that I wanted over the course of two weeks. I had no settling that I could measure.
Old 07-02-15, 04:50 PM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
"Set it, and forget it!"

But honestly, install the coils at each corner with the springs snugged up against the top mount AND then add another two wrenches width of additional pre-load by turning the collar at the base of the spring until you can fit the handle of both supplied wrenches in-between the upper and lower "locking" collars. Then tighten lower locking collar against the upper until tight. Watch the upper collar for any movement when tightening.

Then with the coilover adjustable body locking collar loose, lower or raise the entire coilover assembly using the now locked spring collars. If wanting to lower the car, lower the adjustable coilover body into the lower portion of the shock body. If wanting to raise it, visa versa.
If I do the preload step wouldnt that give the springs less room to expand and contract? What is the purpose of this step?
Old 07-02-15, 06:52 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed my BC's just under 2 months ago.

I installed them without adjustments and let all four corners sit over night with wheels on, and before I went to bed, I "hopped" into all 4 seats. Before I finished off for the evening, I noticed that the heights were not even, even though I had measured them and they seemed pretty dam close upon install.... the car might settle a bit, the car does not weigh the same in all four corners, etc...

Next day I went around to all 4 corners adjusting the height so it was symmetrical all the way around, using a tape measure and measuring from the lip of my fender to the ground.

--- side note: don't adjust all your coils to the same height on their own and expect the height to be symmetrical... rather, do something like fender-to-ground height on each individual corner after they're installed.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-15, 07:03 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zynthe
If I do the preload step wouldnt that give the springs less room to expand and contract? What is the purpose of this step?
Setting the correct preload prevents the springs from excessively spinning and binding. Something you do not want to happen, not to mention it's the primary reason for the infamous clunking sound.