Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Confused - pads for better fade resistance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 03:49 PM
gkim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused - pads for better fade resistance?

2000 GS300.

My front rotors are getting thin and need to be replaced at the next pad change (coming up).

I've searched for and read a couple of dozen threads on rotors and pads. But I still haven't come away with a clear recommendation for replacement pads (and rotors).

I'm looking for a rotor and pad that will (under spirited driving, including stop-and-go on city hills), will:
A) stop quickly (at least as far as stock rotors / pads, if not shorter)
B) stop quickly when cold (no heat up required)
C) stop quickly when hot (no/minimal fade)
D) quiet (no more noise than stock; incremental more noise is okay but nothing that would make anyone turn and look)

I don't care about dust and dirty wheels (as long as function isn't impaired). And don't care about life as long as it will last about 25-35K miles (current average with oem pads)

My impressions:
1) For spirited daily driving, including hills, blank rotors will be fine. There are a number of good make/model choices but it sounds like the factory OEM rotors will meet/exceed my needs.

2) Sounds like stock is Akebono ceramic but perhaps a lower grade than the aftermarket offerings. In any case, they fade more than I'd like when driving down hills.

3) MANY pad offerings. I'm so confused because reviews are always mixed. Some love, some hate each offering. But it's not always clear why (not suitable for track, noisy, too much dust, too much fade, wears too fast, more difficult to modulate (too much bite), etc). EBC green, red, yellow. Akebono Proact, Street Performance. Brembo Ceramic. Stoptech. etc

If use OEM or Brembo blank rotors, which pad would you recommend that will:
1) Cold or hot, stop as well or better than as OEM stock pads (assuming similar effort); able to modulate braking similar to stock pads (ie - want a continuum between no braking and ABS Lockup).
2) will not fade as quickly / badly as OEM stock pads
3) will last as long under similar conditions; will enable 100K+ miles of rotor life.
4) about the same noise level
5) don't care about dust level
Old 06-19-15, 08:45 AM
gkim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read and watched more reviews and comments about pads. I'm currently trending toward:

1) factory blank rotors
2) Akebono Performance pads, EBC Redstuff, EBC Yellowstuff.

Seems like all pads are relatively and sufficiently fade resistant for my usages. I see more concerns about noise for the EBC pads (and related to a more involved bedding process).

So, I'm leaning toward the Akebono Performance pads (especially since I think Akebono makes the stock pads). My only hesitation is cold braking performance.

Does anyone have any comment on cold braking performance for Akebono Performance relative to stock pads? Or any reason to be averse to these pads?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-15, 12:06 AM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know about Akebono but I just changed all 4 of my rotors and ceramic brake pads on my 04 GS300. I have purchased these from r1concepts on ebaymotors and I have been using this company/brand on my Supra for years with about 15k on them with no problems. No Noise, very little brake dust and great braking performance on my Supra. What I really like alot is the zinc coating on the whole rotor because on my Supra they are not rusty at all (besides just the normal wear from the pads touching the rotor).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350851147972?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 06-22-15, 02:01 PM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gkim
2000 GS300.

My front rotors are getting thin and need to be replaced at the next pad change (coming up).

I've searched for and read a couple of dozen threads on rotors and pads. But I still haven't come away with a clear recommendation for replacement pads (and rotors).

I'm looking for a rotor and pad that will (under spirited driving, including stop-and-go on city hills), will:
A) stop quickly (at least as far as stock rotors / pads, if not shorter)
B) stop quickly when cold (no heat up required)
C) stop quickly when hot (no/minimal fade)
D) quiet (no more noise than stock; incremental more noise is okay but nothing that would make anyone turn and look)

I don't care about dust and dirty wheels (as long as function isn't impaired). And don't care about life as long as it will last about 25-35K miles (current average with oem pads)

My impressions:
1) For spirited daily driving, including hills, blank rotors will be fine. There are a number of good make/model choices but it sounds like the factory OEM rotors will meet/exceed my needs.

2) Sounds like stock is Akebono ceramic but perhaps a lower grade than the aftermarket offerings. In any case, they fade more than I'd like when driving down hills.

3) MANY pad offerings. I'm so confused because reviews are always mixed. Some love, some hate each offering. But it's not always clear why (not suitable for track, noisy, too much dust, too much fade, wears too fast, more difficult to modulate (too much bite), etc). EBC green, red, yellow. Akebono Proact, Street Performance. Brembo Ceramic. Stoptech. etc

If use OEM or Brembo blank rotors, which pad would you recommend that will:
1) Cold or hot, stop as well or better than as OEM stock pads (assuming similar effort); able to modulate braking similar to stock pads (ie - want a continuum between no braking and ABS Lockup).
2) will not fade as quickly / badly as OEM stock pads
3) will last as long under similar conditions; will enable 100K+ miles of rotor life.
4) about the same noise level
5) don't care about dust level
Hi,

I would suggest switching to a semi-metallic brake pad or to a pad that can operate at a higher temperature range. What we have in particular which may be beneficial to you are the StopTech Street Performance pads. It should fulfill most, if not all, of your requirements.

Note: The trade-off is noise may be experienced when the pads are not yet heated and since the pads work more along the lines of an abrasive friction mechanism, there will be dust.
Old 06-23-15, 03:26 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

might want to consider changing your rubber lines to steel braided. when i first got the gs i changed those and it was night and day.

as far as pads, youve checked some good ones. i think you could go with either of those ebc choices and be fine