Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension Re-fresh and Coilover Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 04:04 PM
keepit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Re-fresh and Coilover Opinion

Good afternoon all,

Ive had my GS300 for some time now and finally looking to take care of some issues and upgrade some stuff at the same time. I have already order new lower control arm bushings and caster arm bushings from FIGS, have new lower Moog ball joints, tie rods (inner and outer), rear carrier bearing and brakes all in hand or in route. i am hunting for some front RCA's at the moment but to me these are all about the same.

My real questions come around when i get to the coilovers, i have searched the forum alot and BC seem to be the choice of most people. I am currently between Fortune 500, BC's and PDMs. I dont think im going to slam my car nearly as low as a lot of people out there but i wouldnt mind being able to go low low if id like. Ive read a ton of reviews on all the above but have yet to see anyone on the Fortunes and only a hand full on the PDM's.

Wondering if anyone out there is running the Fortune coilovers and if you like them or not, this car is my daily and i plan on having it a long time so want a qaulity product but dont want to spend $2k on em. I like the Fortunes longer warranty and stiffer spring rates but i know the rates can be changed on all the above. The PDM's are in last place as they are a good bit more expensive then the other two options and thats money i can spend else where on the car, but figured id leave them in the discussion as all the stuff i have heard about them has been great.

Any help from you all would be greatly apprecaited, looking forward to learning alot on here and hopefully contributing some. Eventually will make a build thread when it starts to look like something.

Thanks
Chris
Old 05-28-15, 10:50 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

There's actually a few of us on the Fortune Auto coilovers (more than I've seen on the Powered by Max ones on this forum at least). I love mine, probably some of if not THE best lower end coilovers I've ridden on. They're not overly harsh even with the adjustment **** turned up (unless you hit a pothole, but that'll be any coilover), and they're seriously comfortable for the spring rates I have (Swift 16/12) to the point where I always recommend people who plan to go low to order stiffer springs. Also, other than the threads getting road grime/dirt from a few years of use, mine still look and perform almost the same as they did brand new.

Not sure where you're getting the $2K from, as the only models they have around that price are the 510 which I think start at around $1.6K and the Dreadnought which are right around or above $2K... When I purchased my set a few years back, the total was I think $1.4K since I had pretty much every option on them with the exception of the helper springs... and no matter which of the above coilovers you pick, I always tell people to opt for the Swift springs if they can afford the extra bit. They make a whole world of difference in the ride. Also, the PBM's aren't significantly more expensive at only $300 extra (not to me, at least). If the others offered that finish for $300 I'd gladly pay it as they're hands-down the most beautiful coilovers I've ever seen

Finally, all of them can go low. But, the BCs and PBMs definitely go lower than the Fortune by a decent amount. The lowest I had mine at were just barely tucking tire. Anything past that and I'd have to mess with the spring perch which would affect the preload and compromise ride quality. However, after speaking with Chris from Fortune, they do offer shortened bodies similar to what BC does for the Extreme drop.

Finally, I'm not sure to what extent the PBM are rebuildable (once the time comes) but I know the BC and Fortune are. Fortune's turnaround is 2 weeks, not sure about BC.

Hope that info helped some.
Old 05-29-15, 09:23 AM
keepit
Driver School Candidate

NorthStyle thank you for the response, really appreaciate it. Im just very torn between the Fortune and the BC's and any bit helps.

as for the $2k I was basically trying to avoid someone saying you get what you pay for, im looking for a qaulity product for around the $1k mark didnt want someone coming in and naming some $2k setup that was out of my realm.

I too love the color of the PBM coilovers. It says the PBM are rebiuldable atleast where i was reading about them. They seem to be extremely similar to the BC & the Fortune in that aspect.

Thanks again for the help. Guess like everyone says itll just be personal preference in the end that decides it.
Old 05-31-15, 07:49 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I currently have fortune auto 500 series coils with 30mm RCAs in both front and rears. Hands down they best coilovers I've had thus far on the GS. My current spring rates are 14k/12k and I plan on upgrading to swift springs later on. Currently tucking tire on 17's. I had BC racing coils before and they were just too soft. My brother has the megan LPs on his GS and we both agree the fortune autos ride so much smoother. I would definitely recommend getting the fortune auto coilovers paired with RCAs.
Old 05-31-15, 09:21 AM
keepit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PlatES300
I currently have fortune auto 500 series coils with 30mm RCAs in both front and rears. Hands down they best coilovers I've had thus far on the GS. My current spring rates are 14k/12k and I plan on upgrading to swift springs later on. Currently tucking tire on 17's. I had BC racing coils before and they were just too soft. My brother has the megan LPs on his GS and we both agree the fortune autos ride so much smoother. I would definitely recommend getting the fortune auto coilovers paired with RCAs.
Thanks for the input, actually just read this after placing an order already. I went with BC coilovers with the spring upgrade and stiffer spring rates. I got a really good quote hopefully they pan out, just was nervous the Fortunes wouldn't get me as low as id like to go. I mean i dont want to be slammed but would prefer to be able to keep the coils higher up so i have the full stroke etc. , hmm now second guessing myself again.