Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front end clunk question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 01:34 PM
eddie2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end clunk question

Hey forum, recently just did my, lower balljoints( MOOG ), inner/outer tie rods (MOOG), and new front brakes/rotors,

(Yes i have been searching the forums and read the whole warning to all gs owners sticky thread about the lbjs)

Before i replaced everything i was getting clunks/knocks coming out of both front passenger side and driver side. Thinking it was the LBJs, I immediately parked her and didnt drive until i could install all the news parts listed above.

After replacing all the parts above, I still have some deep clunks/knocks, sometimes they are consecutive (knock knock knock) and sometimes it is just one knock.

They always occur <10 mph (pulling out of parking spots etc,) & while wheel is turning and usually after or during applying the brakes, but not always.

My question is, what should be my next replacement before i just change out the whole rack & pinion?

front end link sway bars ?
front sway bar bushings?
steering rack bushings ?
or control arm bushings.

I plan on changing them all out, just wondering what should come first. I have a 00' gs300 w/ 138k, lowered on coilovers w/ 19s.

p.s. my passenger side UCA isnt in the greatest condition, so that will need changing out soon too, would this contribute to the knock?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by eddie2gs; 05-20-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 06:17 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe check the upper control arm bushings and sway bar too
Old 05-20-15, 06:56 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I developed a clunk months ago so I gave the front end a refresh. I replaced the lower balljoints, upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links and bushings. The clunk doesn't happen as much but it is still there. I have given up pretty much. Maybe I'll change the steering rack bushings again one day....... My car is lowered but it didn't clunk when the coilovers first went on years ago.
Old 05-21-15, 01:36 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Try the brake shims. There were posts about that.
Old 05-21-15, 08:23 AM
eddie2gs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies, its a really loud metal to metal clunk, and it almost feels like i feel it in the brake pedal when it happens. Definitely going to check the shims and my whole brake assembly
Old 05-23-15, 01:35 PM
eddie2gs
Driver School Candidate

Heres the best video i could get of the sound.

Last edited by eddie2gs; 06-23-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-23-15, 07:10 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine does the same, it never did it until I put on the left front caster arm bushing (Daizen). So my guess that is my issues. Same exact description, slow speed into out of parking spots, driveway, etc.

As soon as I replace those bushings with factory ones, I'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-26-15, 01:40 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've replaced every front end component you can think of & my car still clunked. Then I found the problem. It's the brake caliper bracket. For some strange reason the bolts gets loose & allow the bracket to move around. I actually took my hands & can move the calipers with ease. So I took out the bracket bolts & put lock washers on them & re tighten. So far so good no more clunks.
Old 05-26-15, 02:02 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ill check. I did my inner right side tie rod yesterday and it seems quiet now. But I did take off the caliper bracket on that side... Maybe that is it.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-15, 01:25 PM
eddie2gs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by silverbul
I've replaced every front end component you can think of & my car still clunked. Then I found the problem. It's the brake caliper bracket. For some strange reason the bolts gets loose & allow the bracket to move around. I actually took my hands & can move the calipers with ease. So I took out the bracket bolts & put lock washers on them & re tighten. So far so good no more clunks.
I think this is definitely my problem. Gonna check this out tomorrow. Thanks so much for the reply.
Old 05-28-15, 02:10 PM
eddie2gs
Driver School Candidate

So looked at my driverside caliper today, wiggled my caliper around and it was secure and not loose, so I decided that I would take out the caliper bracket bolts anyways and apply blue loctite, after all said and done, torqued to spec and haven't had the sound yet, so far so good. Hope Im not jinxing myself
Old 05-29-15, 12:21 PM
eddie2gs
Driver School Candidate

Still getting this horrible metal sound. heres a video https://www.dropbox.com/s/n53s7pi5xb...metal.3gp?dl=0
of me on a slope at a gas station (assuming theres more pressure on the front end) and i was able to replicate the sound a couple times. was not pressing the brakes, but this sound usually always happens the first second i lightly apply my brakes while <15 mph.

Old 06-01-15, 07:10 AM
EITELS123
Rookie

I had that issue 2 about a month after I did the LS BBK. I found the caliper bolts had backed out as well. Lock tight and a lock washer fixed it.
Old 06-11-15, 09:47 AM
eddie2gs
Driver School Candidate

Still having this issue, if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know, mechanic said he didnt see anything as far as the caliper being seized or the pads not being seated correctly, are the top and botton caliper bracket bolts different thread sizes of something? only thing i havent tried is a lock washer.
Old 06-11-15, 10:28 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issues as you, and i changed the LBJ and tie rods.

I am changing my front and rear sway bar bushings and also rotors and pads tomorrow night, I will let you know asap.

I got these.
https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...?scri=2&filter

I've done some research and I'm pretty sure its the sway bar bushings.

I am also going to grease my moog LBJ and tie rods while I'm under there.

Quick Reply: Front end clunk question