Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front end clunk question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 06:26 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default brake pads

pull the front wheels off and dismantle the front brake calipers from the caliper bracket. look at the ends of the brake pads where they sit in the caliper bracket. your going to see a polished surface indicating pad movement inside of caliper bracket. that's why you only hear it once when you apply the brakes. than when you go the opposite direction you only hear it once until you back up again or go forwards. either replace the brake hardware which is what the brake pads sit in inside the caliper bracket and or use some brake pad paste which glues the pads to the caliper not allowing it to move laterally causing a clunk. bmws are real bad about that issue on some 3 series cars.
Old 07-15-15, 09:04 AM
eddie2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
pull the front wheels off and dismantle the front brake calipers from the caliper bracket. look at the ends of the brake pads where they sit in the caliper bracket. your going to see a polished surface indicating pad movement inside of caliper bracket. that's why you only hear it once when you apply the brakes. than when you go the opposite direction you only hear it once until you back up again or go forwards. either replace the brake hardware which is what the brake pads sit in inside the caliper bracket and or use some brake pad paste which glues the pads to the caliper not allowing it to move laterally causing a clunk. bmws are real bad about that issue on some 3 series cars.
Thanks so much! definitely gonna give this a try and ill let you know the results
Old 07-16-15, 05:31 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my brakes and rotors and my problem hasn't came back.

I also changed my sway bar bushings as well.
Old 04-19-17, 12:05 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger4life
I developed a clunk months ago so I gave the front end a refresh. I replaced the lower balljoints, upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links and bushings. The clunk doesn't happen as much but it is still there. I have given up pretty much. Maybe I'll change the steering rack bushings again one day....... My car is lowered but it didn't clunk when the coilovers first went on years ago.
Just wanted to update this thread. After changing everything single thing in the front end, the only things left were the steering rack bushings and the intermediate steering shaft. It ended up being the steering rack. Figs bushings got rid of the last clunk.