Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joint prob.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 05:37 PM
Jackco711
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lower Ball joint prob.

Have any of you had problems with your lower ball joints? How do you know when they are worn? Are they a wear item or covered under warranty. Last but not least, has anyone replaced them themselves, if so was it difficult? Can you tell me how to do it?

Thanks so much,

Jackco
Old 03-26-03, 08:13 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the symptoms for problems with the ball joints?

What are you experiencing, and do you know for SURE that the ball joints are the problem?
Old 03-26-03, 10:33 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Lower Ball joint prob.

Originally posted by Jackco711
Have any of you had problems with your lower ball joints? How do you know when they are worn? Are they a wear item or covered under warranty. Last but not least, has anyone replaced them themselves, if so was it difficult? Can you tell me how to do it?

Thanks so much,

Jackco
Yes.

Heard popping noise at low speed turns. Eventually felt it in the steering.

Yes, covered under 4/50k but not power train.

No, my mechanic replaced. But I watched. Took about 20 minutes with right tools. Of course he had a lift as well. You don't need alignment afterwards either.

Sorry can't help you there.

When the got old one off the seal was still good. But upon removing boot, there were cracks and metal shavings on the knuckle itself. Strange for <70K miles, stranger still that it happened with an uncompromised boot.
Old 03-26-03, 01:22 PM
Jackco711
Pole Position

Unhappy

Dex,

First off lexus told me that they are getting worn and I should replace em. Second the ride seems a little too bumpy. There is also some play in the wheel. I had recently balanced and aligned my wheels so Im good there. Those are pretty much the symptoms.
One other thing is when I go over small bumps I hear a slight rattling or clinking from my wheels sounds like there is a washer loose somewhere and its hitting metal. dont know where its from cause I cant drive the car while being underneath it.
Oh yeah, one other thing today when I turned my wheel I hear a weird noise and I feel it in my brake pedal too. Then when I turn it the other way I hear the same noise. It seems to be in the same degree of rotation every time and only at the point after I turn the wheel 1.5 rotations towards the left, so Im wondering something could be rubbing against something else. It sounds like its coming from right behind the steering column. But then why would I feel it in the brakes?

Jackco

Last edited by Jackco711; 03-26-03 at 01:27 PM.