Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP! Strange Creaking Noise When Turning Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 11:20 PM
suds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP! Strange Creaking Noise When Turning Wheels

I started hearing this creaking noise from my front end about 1-2 weeks ago.

I notice the noise when turning the wheel, only in certain spots. Usually straight, or full lock to the right. I will usually hear it while pulling in or out of a parking spot for example, where my wheels are already turned and I start moving.

The noise is louder on the passenger side. When you start jacking weight off of the passenger side, the noise gets gradually less and less. The noise will virtually disappear before the tire even leaves the ground.

Here is the noise I am referring to.

Inside wheel well:
Outside the wheel.

Here is another angle, note how the noise gets louder inside the engine bay

It is hard to hear which direction or area the noise comes from in person. With the cameras microphone, it seems to be loudest when the camera is facing the steering rack.

At first, I was thinking it could be the beginning of a bad hub bearing. Usually though, you will either feel it shift direction easily, or be able to hear it roaring while driving. Neither of which I have experienced.

Next on the list of culprits is any of the 3 ball joints.
There is an upper ball joint, a lower ball joint, and a ball joint on the outer tie rod end. All of which swivel between a rotating and non-rotating component.
(The purpose of a ball joint... duh).
Maybe one of them is getting dry and rough and is having to "skip" or "grind" in order to rotate?

Well, I had a friend turn the wheel back and forth a little, just enough to make the noise, while putting my fingers on either side of all 3 ball joints.
None seem to feel rough at all. All ball joint boots are clean as well, no grease that has oozed out. And as far as I can tell by testing with a pry bar, there is zero play or movement in any of the ball joints or bushings.

Both lower ball joints were replaced with OEM Toyota units about 10 months ago. Also, the inner and outer tie rods on both sides were both replaced today with OEM toyota units, along with new steering rack bushings.
The noise did not change at all.

As far as the upper ball joint, the noise seems to be coming from lower in the suspension, and it looks good up there. I have no reason to believe the noise is coming from the upper ball joint.

Aside from the steering knuckle with everything attached to it (wheel bearing still possible), I can't think of anything else that actually moves when steering, besides the rack and pinion itself.

As stated earlier, I felt around on every suspension piece while friend was moving the wheel back and forth to trigger this noise.

You can feel a vibration from the noise in the floor board, and a little bit on the steering wheel. However when touching the actual steering rack, or steering column, you do not feel anything.

I really did not notice a difference in how any of the suspension components felt while the noise was being made. If anything, you could possibly feel it most in the #1 lower control arm (not the caster arm)

Sorry for the long novel, trying to be as descriptive as possible.

Anybody have any ideas? Similar experiences?
Old 09-04-15, 03:38 PM
dalarid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are all the lug nuts tightened? You mention its less and less as weight is taken off the wheel.

Sounds like you need a mechanic to take a look. Good luck, hope its an inexpensive fix
Old 09-07-16, 04:43 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

What was the ultimate solution to this? I have the identical noise even after replacing the #2 lower control arms and lower ball joints. Mechanic is going great to try replacing tie rod tomorrow.
Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-08-16, 06:17 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Update....replaced outer tie rod and greased sway bar bushings today.
So far no more noise.