Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Dealership wants over $1000

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 12:03 PM
Knight444
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership wants over $1000

Hello,

I took my 2007 is 250 in for the safety recall ELF Gas leak to get done today and they are saying that my right rear shock absorber is leaking and should be replaced which also requires an alignment after which they want $771.20 for that. They also said my Throttle Body needs to be cleaned and injectors flushed. I don't disagree with them on that. I'm sure they do need to be cleaned considering the poor performance I've been receiving on response and gas mileage. (Just purchased the car preowned). For that they want $261.46.

With that being said, my questions are, are these reasonable fees? Am I better off buying a used shock absorber set for the rear and having someone else or myself install? Aftermarket suspension? Is is that hard to clean the throttle body? Any good products used to dissolve the gum and build up in the throttle body? Injectors flushed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-25-15, 12:13 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight444
Hello,

I took my 2007 is 250 in for the safety recall ELF Gas leak to get done today and they are saying that my right rear shock absorber is leaking and should be replaced which also requires an alignment after which they want $771.20 for that. They also said my Throttle Body needs to be cleaned and injectors flushed. I don't disagree with them on that. I'm sure they do need to be cleaned considering the poor performance I've been receiving on response and gas mileage. (Just purchased the car preowned). For that they want $261.46.

With that being said, my questions are, are these reasonable fees? Am I better off buying a used shock absorber set for the rear and having someone else or myself install? Aftermarket suspension? Is is that hard to clean the throttle body? Any good products used to dissolve the gum and build up in the throttle body? Injectors flushed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Buy a used shock or coilovers. That'll save some cash on parts. I wouldn't worry about the "fuel cleaning". If you are that adamant about it, pull the intake tube and clean the throttle body with some carb cleaner.
Old 04-27-15, 05:09 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Any shop can install a new shock and visit any place offering a 4-wheel alignment to get that done. Should be around 3-400 for the shock and install, and then another $60-80 for the alignment.

Pass on the cleaners.

Are you experiencing idling issues at stop lights? Anything resembling other members with the carbon build-up recall?