Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tom's Post-Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-03, 05:15 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tom's Post-Install Questions

Just had the Tom's front and rear lower braces installed today and I have some questions.

First, I purchased the "closed" rear brace because I figured they would it would easily clear the smaller resonators on my Tanabe exhaust. Interestingly enough, the front part of the brace clears the resonators just fine. But the back part of the brace rubs against the pipes as they exit the resonators. And that's with the pipes pulled tight at every mounting point. Has anyone else installed the Tom's/Tanabe combination? The problem can addressed with spacers but I will need longer bolts.

Second, the front brace fit is extremely tight. The bottom portion of the "A", or the cross brace, also rubs against what must be the transmission. This results in significant "transmission" of vibration into the passenger compartment. Did anyone else run into this problem? If so, did you address this tight fit with spacers at the mounting points?

Thanks ahead for your advice.
Old 03-19-03, 05:29 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have APEX WS and same problem occurs to me with TOM'S rear LCB. It's been sitting in my garage for almost an year.
Old 03-19-03, 08:37 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

I think I can get by with the rear brace rubbing as I don't see any real damage that can occur. But I just drove home from work and the front brace rubbing on the tranny is intolerable -- major vibration and sound at idle. Actually, the effect is pretty cool once under way. I'll have to get this addressed tomorrow.

Perhaps I should get RMMGS4 to perform some magic with "THE HAMMER".
Old 03-19-03, 08:52 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

You sure the front brace is rubbing against something on the tranny ? I installed the front brace first and had no issues. Then i installed the rear brace and noticed that it's touching the exhaust pipes , similar to your description. I have the same vibration you are experiencing. My fix is going to be, to try to adjust the exhaust. Actually , it doesn't bother me much , as the vibration is only at low speeds. I drive mainly hwy. speeds and i have the Greddy PE.

If it is the rear , think about switching braces .
Old 03-19-03, 09:15 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Hammer is one option but I don't want to put a dent on my pipes. Another thing you can do is to cut the pipes into several pieces and weld them back on. That is a more expansive approach and I do know some member in CL who did that. Not because of rubbing but not enough clearance for the canister from the ground.
Old 03-19-03, 09:59 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Heh, heh... I was kidding about the hammer. RMMGS4 has worked some magic on several other CL member cars using a large hammer. Inside joke, sorry.

After the install we put the car back on the lift and I got to walk under the car and take a close look at both the front and rear brace. The rear is touching as described and could be causing some noise, but I don't think it's the source of the vibration I am feeling in the cabin. At some point I'll probably re-pipe from the cats. The front brace is positively rubbing at the point I described. I was sorta shocked because I have seen pictures and read about other installs and no one has encountered this particular problem.
Old 03-20-03, 03:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a GS430 and the APEXi WS exhaust with the TOM'S Type-A (Closed) Rear LCB and I don't have any rubs...

Here's some photos of when I had my Type-B (open) one installed...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=28226

Dunno, what the deal is but I had TOM'S USA install mine...both times.
Old 03-20-03, 07:59 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray,
What Type should I get for my car since I have the Borla SS exhaust? Type B (Open)?? Thanks
Old 03-20-03, 09:20 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Manaray,

First thing I did after my install was search the CL archives and take a close look at the pictures from your install. The Tanabe exhaust hangs differently [lower] than your APEXi. I need only a few more millimeters clearance so I will first attempt to correct with some spacers and longer bolts. If that does not work then I will have the exhaust re-piped. Per 1niceride, I'm open to the possibility that ALL the vibration and noise is actually being caused by the exhaust rubbing the rear brace. I'll try to get the car back on the lift and get some pictures.
Old 03-20-03, 09:45 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by RAristo
I have APEX WS and same problem occurs to me with TOM'S rear LCB. It's been sitting in my garage for almost an year.
So I can be clear, your ApexI WS rubs with the Type B / Closed TOMS LCB?

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
Manaray,
What Type should I get for my car since I have the Borla SS exhaust? Type B (Open)?? Thanks
I behalf of DaveGS4 who has this setup, yes.
Old 03-20-03, 10:15 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

With the closed brace there are two potential problem points. On the front of the brace you need to make sure it clears the resonators. On the back side you need to make sure it clears the pipes as they exit the resonators and enter the muffler. I'm having problems with the latter.

If you have an exhaust that replaces the mufflers only [RMM, L-Tuned, Borla, etc] and you retain the stock resonators, you need to go with the open brace.
Old 03-20-03, 10:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
Yes, the open Type B fits fine with the Borla (that's what I have). As RedGS4 said, you'll have clearance issues with the exhaust on the closed variety with many exhausts.

The bottom of this link shows a couple of pics that might be useful --> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=74059, and here's another one.

Apologies for the dirty underside, have had a lot of rain and mud on the roads here this winter; need to get access to a lift for some spring cleaning .
Attached Thumbnails Tom's Post-Install Questions-dave-under-car.jpg  
Old 03-20-03, 02:40 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Dex,

In my case, there is indeed a rubbing between my APEX WS and TOM's open rear LCB. I could take a pic next week and show you the rubbing. There was annoying vibration and took me a month to finally give up. My APEX was installed in a local muffler shop recommended by a senior CL member and Todd put the real LCB for me. While Manaray has no clearance problem, I do and the strangest thing is we both have APEX WS. I bought APEX WS when it was first released. Perhaps in different batches or later version, APEX raise the pipes are little bit upward or some other minor changes.

I think for people who only have aftermarket muffler, they are free to use either type A or B.
Old 03-20-03, 03:07 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by RAristo
Dex,

In my case, there is indeed a rubbing between my APEX WS and TOM's open rear LCB. I could take a pic next week and show you the rubbing. There was annoying vibration and took me a month to finally give up. My APEX was installed in a local muffler shop recommended by a senior CL member and Todd put the real LCB for me. While Manaray has no clearance problem, I do and the strangest thing is we both have APEX WS. I bought APEX WS when it was first released. Perhaps in different batches or later version, APEX raise the pipes are little bit upward or some other minor changes.

I think for people who only have aftermarket muffler, they are free to use either type A or B.
Great info - thanks for the follow up. I guess I'll just have to try it and see.