Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Caster bushings yay...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 08:30 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caster bushings yay...

so i did search, but couldn't find anything specific to my question about the LCA #2

I recently changed out my tires and noticed the bushing was shot and looked like laffy taffy as the arm drooped pretty far. so ive been reading up on how to change it myself as well as looking in to having it done so it can have an alignment immediately as well.

most shops ive talked to are not willing to swap just the bushing and want to do the whole arm. which is like a 300-400$ service now. and ive asked 2 lexus dealers. one recommended changing the arm one said to do just the bushing.

i want to know if i SHOULD replace the whole arm to avoid some problem? or will it be ok to do just the bushings? i did read in an old thread somones arm was snapped so idk if thats a common problem or not?

I plan to do the Roca bushings and i have an 01 GS300 FYI.

Last edited by GS3KID; 03-25-15 at 08:32 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-25-15, 10:46 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

FIGS sells the poly bushings and all you need is to press them them in... Those should last as long as you own the car and beyond... I need to replace mine as well and just bought the whole arm.. there's a DIY on this page that is very good.
Old 03-25-15, 10:51 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Right i planned on just doing the bushings myself but like i said most mechanic shops near me WON'T do it unless they replace the whole arm. i was trying to see if they were just wanting more money or if theres a precaution for putting a whole new arm in.

Thanks I'll look into Figs poly bushings!
Old 03-27-15, 07:26 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah most shops wont. the only reason i can even mod my cars is cause i do all the work myself. ive done the figs adjustable bushings. kind of a pain to put the arm back on.

IMO i'd say plan this out. you wanna keep the car for a long time (and i mean LONG) then go poly.
dont give that much of a ****? change out the arm. it costs a little more, but you wont have to go and get it pressed out. the difference between changing out the bushing and just swapping the arm is time and money. you'd have to weigh the pros and cons yourself.

have fun
Old 03-28-15, 10:17 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Agreed. I plan to replace them myself and I can pay for them to press the bushing im not worried about that. If it's really hard to put back in what should I do to make it easier? I found a DIY but no photos.

I will use the rocas for now becuase I've been sitting on them for a while. But my next set will be polys for sure
Old 03-29-15, 04:52 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pressing the bushing isnt that much of a problem. press old ones out, press new ones in.

as for the arm, i find it a lot easier if both front wheels are off the ground so that you can manipulate the lca to get the bolts started. IMO thats the hardest part
Old 03-29-15, 08:33 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Sounds good thanks