Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Akebono Pads - Proact vs. Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 08:10 PM
mopudding
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Akebono Pads - Proact vs. Performance

Anyone have comments about the differences between these two types of pads? I noticed most on the board using the Proacts, but wondering about the Performance line.
Old 06-25-18, 10:08 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by mopudding
Anyone have comments about the differences between these two types of pads? I noticed most on the board using the Proacts, but wondering about the Performance line.
That I am aware of there isn’t a set of performance akebono pads for the IS. The only ones I’ve ever seen for the IS are the ACT. If you found some performance akebonos please do share.
The following users liked this post:
omnimail (03-09-20)
Old 06-26-18, 12:09 PM
mopudding
Pit Crew

Akebono web catalogue lists Perofrmance pads, part no. ASP1118 for front of 2014 3IS, no rears listed though.

Old 06-26-18, 12:17 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Wow first time I hear of the performance line being available for the 3IS! You may have to be the guinea pig and see if they fit (they should since the ACT1118 fit.) and let us know what you think. I have those performance pads on my G37S and they are great would love to put them on my 18’ 300 F Sport!
Old 06-26-18, 12:19 PM
mopudding
Pit Crew

Are they noticeably better on your Infiniti?
Old 06-26-18, 12:23 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Are they noticeably better on your Infiniti?
Well the problem is that my Infiniti had those this whole time AND I have the big brakes on the rear so the bite is awesome and stopping power is insane. I feel our IS doesn’t have as good stopping power because of the rear brakes. IMHO I can almost guarantee if you were to put the performance Akebono pads on the IS your stopping power would be noticeably better along with less brake dust. I’m probably going to change to Akebonos even though I only have 3,000 miles on my IS because the brake dust is stupid on the OE pads.
Old 06-26-18, 12:34 PM
mopudding
Pit Crew

Yeah, the dust is killing me. I have lots of meat on the pads, but I'm still thinking about swapping them over.
Old 06-26-18, 12:40 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

I say do it. Also if you do please let me know if those ASP1118 work because if they do I’ll probably switch over right away.
Old 06-26-18, 01:10 PM
mopudding
Pit Crew

I just confirmed with Akebono - only front Performance pads are currently available for 3IS. Weird to not have them for all four corners.
Old 06-26-18, 01:43 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

I just confirmed with Akebono - only front Performance pads are currently available for 3IS. Weird to not have them for all four corners.
Well like I said the rear calipers are not sport calipers they are regular calipers so no reason to put performance pads on them anyway. I’m pretty sure the OE rear pads are ceramic idk if someone can confirm that since they make very little brakedust. But this is good to know I will be getting the Akebono performance pads and switching to those soon! Thanks for the info and let us know if you do it so you can tell us your experience with them.
Old 06-26-18, 02:34 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Don't expect any free rides.

you go up in performance, you go up in noise and dust, and wear.

go down in noise and dust and wear, go down on performance.

cannot have both. you have to decide what balance is important to you.

i'm not sure what the rear pads are but all things being equal, they are much smaller and do much less work than the front pads. so naturally they will create a lot less dust.
Old 06-26-18, 03:25 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

Well like I said the rear calipers are not sport calipers they are regular calipers so no reason to put performance pads on them anyway. I’m pretty sure the OE rear pads are ceramic idk if someone can confirm that since they make very little brakedust. But this is good to know I will be getting the Akebono performance pads and switching to those soon! Thanks for the info and let us know if you do it so you can tell us your experience with them.
The OEM rear pads are not ceramic, but anyone could just buy the ACT for the rear and it will be perfect.
Old 06-26-18, 03:27 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Don't expect any free rides.

you go up in performance, you go up in noise and dust, and wear.

go down in noise and dust and wear, go down on performance.

cannot have both. you have to decide what balance is important to you.

i'm not sure what the rear pads are but all things being equal, they are much smaller and do much less work than the front pads. so naturally they will create a lot less dust.
As I've mentioned in many topics about OEM F Sport pads vs Akebono ceramics, I don't think there is the trade off that you speak of. I have the ACT1118 for the front and ACT1391 for the rear, and found zero difference in performance from the F Sport pads (only the almost complete elimination of dust).
Old 06-26-18, 03:34 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

There is a trade off. That is a fact. By definition. I've been there done that in the BMW world. With stock Textar (same manufacturer as F Sport high friction) vs. Akebono/cermaic/low dust etc. I've done a lot of aggressive canyon and track driving in my day. Lexus would not install high dust, high wear pads for two generations if IS (same part#) if there wasn't a performance benefit. There's a reason Lexus offers a high friction (black backed) and low friction (blue backed) option for the 3IS. Car makers don't spend even a penny more if they can avoid it.
Old 06-26-18, 03:45 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

There's also a reason BMWs have been praised for decades for its world class brakes but notorious for having "BMW brake dust." Ask any performance BMW owner (or Porsche for that matter) and they'll tell you about their wheels turning black. If there was a secret sauce for having your cake and eating it too (high performance and no dust) some billion dollar automaker would've found it by now.

You may perceive your car as not having any brake degradation cause you can physically stop it "fast." with your akebono low dust pads. you'll even be able to engage ABS during a panic stop (as any Camry can) but there is a difference, particularly under high stress repeated stops, particularly with high performance tires.

Not to say the F Sport pads are the end all be all. It's still a street pad. You just have to decide where on the spectrum you want to be and that nothing comes for free

Quick Reply: Akebono Pads - Proact vs. Performance