Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering for AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-15, 04:13 PM
jyeung12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering for AWD

Hi everyone,

So I have read just about every thread there is for lowering a car and still have some questions that maybe some of you guys can help me out on. Apologies if I am creating another useless thread but would rather take some heat then mess up my car. I have 2010 IS250 AWD. Can you guys help give me different setups or tips when choosing springs, struts, or coilovers based on the criteria below. Also any advice on installations or heads-up on anything I might encounter.

These are things that important to me in this order:

1. RIDE QUALITY-I am not tracking this car, just want a little better performance for spirited driving on winding roads so I do not want a super stiff ride, I want to remain as close to oem ride quality as possible

2. COMPATIBILITY/RELIABILITY- I've read that there are various issues regarding the cv joint and sounds coming from the suspension after installation. Are there any setups that can avoid this? I've also read that some coilovers need to be rebuilt every so often, is there any way to prolong the life of the coilovers, would this even be a concern since I don't really track my car and therefore there would be less wear and tear. Last thing is, some people have said that as long as the fender is 25 in from ground it should be ok regarding the joint, is this a sure fire way to avoid cv joint problems.

3. DROP-The AWD is notoriously high and I just can't deal with it, I want to reduce the 4 finger gap down to about 2. Not looking for a slam look, just a setup that will make a difference. This is really the only reason that I want to lower the car in the first place.

Thanks in advance for your help, hopefully some you AWD owners can chime in. I had settled on getting f-sport springs only but there is a stop sale right now. Also I'm trying to stay below 500-600. Thanks
Old 02-27-15, 11:16 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An alternative that I would recommend is the Eibach Pro-Kit, which lowers the car by 1.4" in the front and 1.0" in the back. it will stay within the budget and meet your three requirements. Otherwise, if you can wait it out, get the F Sport springs and shocks. It lowers more than the F Sport springs (which are made by Eibach incidentally) and ride just as smooth or if not smoother than the F Sport springs. It will be listed for RWD but RWD and AWD springs are interchangeable with no issues, only the shocks are not interchangeable because of the C bracket on the AWD (so other 2IS RWD springs can fit too).

It's unfortunate that the F Sport springs and shocks have a stop sale right now. I researched lowering AWD for over a year before I lowered it with the F Sport. I leaned to coilovers initially, BCR coils with Swift springs, but I eventually talked myself away from it because of various reasons (reliability and cost come to mind, biggest detractor was having too much adjustability as I am more of a set-it and forget-it type of person). Then I leaned towards H&R springs with F Sport shocks, but I decided against it with this comparative review by another member.

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
I have history and experience with both of these springs on my wife's IS250 awd and thought I would write a quick review for others research purposes.
Brief intro, my wife had H&R Springs on her IS250awd and wasn't happy w/ the ride quality. Even I had to admit, it was pretty rough. Got her onto some Eibach 250's and ride quality improved much. She's happy.

From my driving of the vehical, here are my impressions of the two springs:

Ride Quality: Eibach wins. I'm sure it has to do w/ the progressive spring rate. H&R's are without a doubt a more sporty, stiffer ride. Eibach's are softer and made the car feel almost like stock again comparred to the H&R's.
On the flip side though, the car didn't handle quite as tight as when H&R's were on it. Cornering wasn't as precisce and braking felt like more effort had to be put into it to get the car to stop I wouldn't say sloppy feeling, but compared to the H&R's they were 'looser' feeling. But thats what you get in terms of trade off for a softer ride, you get softer everything.

Drop Looks: H&R wins. Though the H&R and Eibach's rear drop of the car looked almost identical, it was the fronts where the H&R's were more even with the rear. Eibach's raised the front just a bit, perhaps 1/4 to 3/8th's of an inch.

Eibach's = softer, more comfortable, slightly higher front (very slight^^)
H&R's = firmer/sporty, very even drop (probably the best drop you can get on springs)

**EDIT** I also wanted to throw this out there. H&R's comfort level feel better on my IS350 vs. my wifes' IS250AWD. I'm guessing its due to the strut length being different on the two cars suspesion. I have to admit, it was pretty rough riding in my wife's IS250AWD, whereas my IS350 feel firm, but not overly harsh like her's did. Anyway, just my thoughts on the same spring on an AWD vs. RWD.
I finally decided on the F Sport springs and shocks and I couldn't of been happier. It pretty much addressed the three things you listed. I remembered that the ride was initially harsh after the first 100 miles (the first day was the worst). Now a few thousand miles later (~5k miles) it's a tad firmer than stock but rides nice and smooth; if I were to put softer tires on the AWD it would make the ride sublime.

Since the F Sport shocks are of a normal shock design, they will last as long as an ordinary shock. However, as our cars continue to age and parts start to get scarce, it will be difficult will get replacement parts. So far, I do not experience any vibrations lowered on F Sport springs and shocks and the CV axle boots have been good without leaks or tears.

As for the lowering, the F Sport springs lowered the car to 3 fingers in the front to 2 in the back. It's the same amount of gap as a 2IS RWD and a 3IS RWD (compared to 4 all around on a 2IS AWD). The 3IS F-Sport has about a 2 finger gap all around but a 2IS AWD lowered on F Sport springs sit lower (height wise) just ever so slightly. This amount of gap still allowed for the car to have adequate travel and maintaining a soft ride quality.

First photo is my IS 250 AWD on stock suspension.

This photo was right after the F Sport springs and shocks installed.

This photo was a few hundred miles on the F Sport springs and shocks.

A better shot to get a sense of the wheel gap.

Old 02-28-15, 07:25 AM
minato
Pole Position

First off I would say save and get some coilovers - BC's probably
when I changed mine I had a friend look into all my suspension parts ,
we changed the upper ball joints while changing the suspension , then I drove for 2 days had the wobble , then had an alignment and I have been good ever since, I have an 08
I wanted to go springs also , I actually bought H&R's but didnt install them.
You cant slam our cars you have to stay 24.5inches from ground always to be safe, now if you go lower, you on your own lol
also look into sway bars F&R , they help alot with body roll.
Old 03-02-15, 09:45 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

Heres a few tips:

1. if you want to stay in the 500-600 range megan EZ coils will be your best option (decent coils for the price). Or you can go fsport shocks and a spring set up of your choice (ive learned that for AWD h&r has the most even set up as far as looks). This course will run you a little over 600. Also you will be spending a few hundred more on labor unless you plan to do it yourself. Keep in mind you will also have to get an alignment. As far as longevity goes I'd say springs and shocks will last longer.

2. This is the most important tip I can give you. Remember to reset your bushings after the install. Without doing this your bushings will fail prematurely, there is a thread in the suspension section that shows which bushings you need to reset. If you go coilovers I'd recommend that you stay 25 inches from fender to ground just to be safe. 24.5 inches is as low as you should go.
Old 03-05-15, 09:33 AM
jyeung12
Driver School Candidate

havent been on in a few days but thanks for the response

@knguyenk thanks for taking the time for your lengthy write up and pictures

I think i will wait out for f sports since the drops looks pretty good and i have an affinity for f sports parts. Open to more suggestions as well
Old 03-05-15, 02:07 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the F-sport springs paired with my OEM shocks and I really did not like the ride at all. After switching to H&R springs, which lowers the car a little bit more and has an even drop, the ride quality is similar to stock. When my stock shocks go, I'll buy the F-sport shocks to replace them and keep the H&R's on.
Old 03-07-15, 11:41 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got my BC coils in the mail the other day for my awd 250. I too had tons of questions, but please take a look at my these two thread posts I made explaining almost everything in detail!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post8923102

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post8913229

I talk about everything from camber, toe, wobbles and vibration, to even the pure convenience of a coil over setup over springs.
Also go ahead and contact mike at Figs engineering. They are a vendor on here and definitely one of the leading suspension experts! Mike is a great guy to deal with! I ordered parts from him and will likely be a return customer!
Old 03-09-15, 10:04 AM
Jaytea
Driver

If you have the budget, look at Ohlins. They definitely have the best ride quality and performance by far. However, they will cost a pretty penny. Even at the highest damper, they are super comfortable, but the car literally sticks to the road around corners. Figs carries it too good luck!

NVM: does not come in AWD

Last edited by Jaytea; 03-09-15 at 10:08 AM.