Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY Shock Revalve Series: BC Racing BR shock dismantle & Revalve w/ Bilstein parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 05:16 AM
bfor3
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kene
Results have been posted, and I love it... I will be swapping from a 14K spring to a 10K spring on the front this weekend to see if it is even better. Remember, only the front have been installed. I plan to install the rears this weekend.
More updates please! Also I would love to do this myself but want it done right. Do you think that I shop with a dyno could pull this off or they would shy away! ? Get job btw!
Old 02-24-16, 06:59 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yes I believe even a novice shop with a shock dyno can do this. At the very least they can look at the tutorial I have posted with the bilstein parts. I have been wondering whether to create a "step-by-step" youtube video on the complete process from start to finish (way more details than the disassembly youtube video). I'll be honest I have been lazy, and I am not even sure if a full scale video is overkill(the clublexus tutorial has all the info) or even desired by those who have read the tutorial.

Still contemplating...
Old 01-09-17, 12:23 PM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kene
yes I believe even a novice shop with a shock dyno can do this. At the very least they can look at the tutorial I have posted with the bilstein parts. I have been wondering whether to create a "step-by-step" youtube video on the complete process from start to finish (way more details than the disassembly youtube video). I'll be honest I have been lazy, and I am not even sure if a full scale video is overkill(the clublexus tutorial has all the info) or even desired by those who have read the tutorial.

Still contemplating...
Looking in option to do this and have a noob question....
Does the sway bar play any role in the choice of spring and dampening?
ie. does using fsport sway vs stock sway require different selection in spring and dampening?
Old 05-21-20, 02:04 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

incredible knowledge and fantastic that you shared it.

Mad kudos.

For the record, I have BC BR on my sc300 and I have the bucking bronco feeling as well. I absolutely HATE the stock valving of these coilovers. Do you offer a revolving service where you'll do it? I'm just considering full-on selling my BC coilovers and just buying something else so I don' have all the hassle.
Old 05-23-20, 10:00 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don’t offer a revolving service but with the information relayed out here One can easily do it themselves. In the earlier part of the tutorial shows where you can purchase the necessary parts needed. And with simple measurements of one’s vehicle as shown and applying these findings to the math equations you can derive your specific measurements for your vehicle. Then apply these measurements to the BilStein valving Manual to achieve your results.

seeing as though you have an SC 300 I would follow the exact same things I did in this tutorial as my goal was to match the BC racing coil overs to BillStein HD shocks for the Toyota supra.

hope this helps.

(voice to text)

Originally Posted by zazzn
incredible knowledge and fantastic that you shared it.

Mad kudos.

For the record, I have BC BR on my sc300 and I have the bucking bronco feeling as well. I absolutely HATE the stock valving of these coilovers. Do you offer a revolving service where you'll do it? I'm just considering full-on selling my BC coilovers and just buying something else so I don' have all the hassle.
Old 06-04-20, 04:47 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Hi Kene,

To fix some mistakes. The correct bypass plate part number is

Bypass plate
BILE4-B46-743C2

Also was it actually 15x1.0MM? for the piston was that a typo? I can't find any shims bigger than .30 on resuspension or suspensiondirect. Which by the way has a bunch of shims and and you don't have to buy 5 at a time like you would from resuspension.

So to make things clear you did not use the bypass shim because we technically have this on the top of the Coilover via the adjustment ****. You should take a look at Fatcatmotorsports where he drills 4 small holes in the Bilstein piston to help against feeling small road imperfections as the piston allows small amounts of oil to bypass the piston via these holes which makes for a smoother ride for smaller bumps. Large bump displaces too much oil which these small holes don't help for.

Last edited by zazzn; 06-06-20 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-06-20, 02:07 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Also, help me understand something here... Why do you want MORE rebound on the shock if it was already the bucking bull? Wouldn't that just make it worse? I understand wanting some more compression so it doesn't dip at low speeds using the digressive piston at low speeds on the compression side.. I'm totally lost here, it looks like by the dyno graph that the BC's would be ultra-soft which is why they use such nasty springs to make up for soft compression and rebound relative to the Bilstein at lower velocities.

Last edited by zazzn; 06-06-20 at 02:28 AM.