Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Toyota Supra TT brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 11:35 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more question on the subject, do I need to purchase a "Shim kit"?? I'm going to need pads since the calipers don't come with them and I saw a drop box option online that said "Include shim kit" so now I'm curious...do I need the shim kit? Or are they really just DIRECT swap ons?

edit: Also noticed something called a "Fitting kit"???? I just want to make sure my mechanic has everything he'll need to do the install.

Last edited by ashtray; 02-19-15 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 12:20 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I was confused about shim kits and fitting kits, too. They get mentioned a lot, but rarely with much if any supporting information. From what I've been able to gather, the fitting kit is most likely the pins that hold the pad to the caliper, and possibly guides if applicable. The shim kit goes along with the pads and is only needed if the new pads don't include them. Basically, the shim just reduced noise and vibration from the pad-piston contact, although how or why I don't understand, since it's still two solid objects making contact either way and the pad is plenty stiff on its own. Calling it a shim is probably what confuses people, since that's an abnormal use of the term.
Old 02-19-15, 09:26 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Intersting. I suppose I'll NOT purchase those things and if my mechanic ends up needing them he'll find a way or let me know. Can't wait to have brand new TT calipers and slotted rotors...been a dream for a while now lol
Old 02-19-15, 11:56 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I bought Wagner ThermoQuiet pads for my LS calipers and they came with shims. The calipers in turn came with the pins, tensioner, and guides that would make up the fitting kit. So, unless I'm missing something essential that I'm not aware of from all the vague references, I'd say you're safe in taking a wait and see approach.
Old 02-20-15, 08:31 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant wait to see pics, and your review of them
Old 02-27-15, 01:54 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

A quick update...one of my bent rims is actually bent so bad that I either have to grind down the rim inner spoke or the caliper. It rubs about half of a mm worth so I'm thinking to salvage the caliper from looking horrible just grind down the inner spoke since I'm getting new rims.

This brings me to my question...will Enkei NTO3's OR RPO3's in 18's with an offset anywhere between 35 and 25? and a wheel width of 8.5 or bigger all around. Sorry the question is will these size of Enkei rims rub at all on my TT brakes in these sizes?
Old 02-27-15, 02:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
A quick update...one of my bent rims is actually bent so bad that I either have to grind down the rim inner spoke or the caliper. It rubs about half of a mm worth so I'm thinking to salvage the caliper from looking horrible just grind down the inner spoke since I'm getting new rims.

This brings me to my question...will Enkei NTO3's OR RPO3's in 18's with an offset anywhere between 35 and 25? and a wheel width of 8.5 or bigger all around. Sorry the question is will these size of Enkei rims rub at all on my TT brakes in these sizes?
What disk fittment (med or high) are they? That's the important piece of info to know about the wheels.
Old 02-27-15, 02:21 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

I have no clue on that. It is not in the product description.

Edit: They are under their racing category on their website and both say Spec-E inspected.

double edit: One of the advertisement photos has a car sporting some Willwood brakes so I'm sure if it can clear those it can clear Supra TT brakes especially since I'm going with their lowest possible offsets in the sizes I'm getting.
Old 02-27-15, 02:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Link where you are looking? Its sometimes called pad
Old 02-27-15, 02:35 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Link where you are looking? Its sometimes called pad
http://enkei.com/shop/racing/nt03m/

the black car showing the front driver side
Old 02-27-15, 03:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yep, not listed. I'd see if you can contact mfgr or a dealer to ask... It's what you need to know.
Old 02-27-15, 05:52 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Thank you. I'll do all my research before I purchase anything this Monday. It is so difficult to decide on rims.

edit: Also do I want med. or high disk?

double edit: nvm. Got it.

Last edited by ashtray; 02-27-15 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 05:57 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

So I picked up my car and the rims I currently have rub so we ground down the inner rim spoke just a hair and it cleared...then with the heat expansion it rubbed again but nothing horrible just some paint off the caliper oh well.

I'm going to spend the weekend researching rims.

As for a review of the brakes...I can tell RIGHT AWAY they are much more heavy duty than the original Lexus SC300 rims. Like wow. I'll give a much better review once the weather is better. Currently raining and about 35 degrees.
Old 03-03-15, 07:49 PM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys,

I'm am doing the LS400 front (already have) and TT rear brake setup but want to be clear on what to get for the rear. I know to match LS rotor/pad and TT rotor/pad

1. Look for the 93-98 Supra rear calipers (some sites say it might not fit)?
2. Part # number to look for?
3. What price range should you expect new or reman?

Thanks for the help
Old 03-03-15, 11:17 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

make sure it's Supra TT and all the calipers and rotors will fit. the rear TT rotors are 324mm in size just in case you're wondering. Supra Calipers bolt right up absolutely no problems. Remanned they should be around 90-120 per caliper, new, double if not triple the price if you can find them.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra TT brakes