Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Toyota Supra TT brakes

Old 02-16-15, 03:59 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Toyota Supra TT brakes

Hello, Forum

Are TT Supra brakes a direct swap to an SC300? if not what all is needed to do the swap like do I need Supra rotors or what else EXACTLY is needed? Thanks for all the input. I'm kind of on a dead line with this so the sooner I find out the better. Thanks again.

Best,
Ashtray

edit: I'm assuming for sure I'd need rotors but anything else specific?

Last edited by ashtray; 02-16-15 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 04:11 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

You would would Supra TT calipers and TT rotors.....It is a direct bolt on.....

Honestly for the money the LS400 BBK is much more reasonable and the calipers are significantly lighter and roughly the same size give or take a few mm
Old 02-16-15, 04:44 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Okay good info. And I assume LS400 rotors or Supra rotors all work together correct? Going to look online and make a purchase tonight for either Supra or LS400 brakes and rotors.
Old 02-16-15, 05:19 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Honestly for the money the LS400 BBK is much more reasonable and the calipers are significantly lighter
Mostly agree, but I ran across an interesting point while researching the two. The LS400 calipers are 6 lbs lighter, but the rotors are 2 lbs heavier, give or take. The rotor's weight is rotating mass, so its effect is magnified. To what degree is the tough part to answer. But regardless, the difference between the LS400 and TT brakes isn't as big as normally indicated.

Side note #1: I got my new LS400 rotors last week and they were 1.5 lbs and 3 lbs, respectively, lighter than listed. There's apparently quite a bit of variability in the manufacturing and batch specifications. I'm curious if the same applies to other lines. For example, the TT is more performance oriented and maybe there's less variability "allowed" in its rotors, so the extra 2 lbs of the LS rotors could disappear comparatively.

Side note #2: My LS400 pads (Wagner) arrived today and whoa are they heavy. 4 lbs 1 oz for the set, nearly half as much as one of the aluminum calipers!
Old 02-16-15, 05:29 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

All awesome info to have here. Thank you so much t2d2. I may just go with TT setup but I have time to think about it. Will my existing lines work? Or should I just upgrade to stainless steel while I'm at it?
Old 02-16-15, 05:36 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

As long as your existing brake lines aren't deteriorating, they should be just fine. For everyone that says braided SS lines give a noticeably better pedal feel, you'll find someone else who says they make no difference on modern cars and that any improvement you're feeling is simply from bleeding the brakes at the same time. Any time the opinions are split that evenly down the middle, I assume the improvements are purely in the aesthetics realm.
Old 02-16-15, 05:38 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Perfect answer. Thank you. I'll check their condition and go from there.
Old 02-16-15, 05:53 PM
Funnyman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only time you'll really notice a difference from rubber lines to SS lines is on a track when your braking hard for 20-30 min around corners your flexing the rubber lines as with the SS lines they won't expand and it'll have a more consistant brake feel
Old 02-16-15, 05:56 PM
Funnyman
Rookie

As for the LS rotors do they make "upgraded" rotors as in drilled or slotted? As the holes or slots won't do anything for braking performance there might be a weight loss minimal maybe but any weight loss is a good thing
Old 02-16-15, 06:02 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Do the lines.

You're replacing everything else and you're going to need to bleed the system anyway. You might as well flush with new fluid and install new lines. Thats what I did. And if your lines were like mine, you'll see cracks form in the rubber as soon as you unbolt the calipers.

You will need to trim the factory dust shields unless you plan on getting the TT shields as well.
Old 02-16-15, 06:22 PM
Funnyman
Rookie

Don't know if there's a sponsor on here for as brake lines but I found a guy who makes custom lines for our cars in 4-5 different colors for $65 shipped you can look him up on facebook Raymond Chan

Sorry if I shouldn't be advertising for him it's just a really good deal I figured I'd share I have no affiliation with him or his business
Old 02-16-15, 06:59 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Funnyman
As for the LS rotors do they make "upgraded" rotors as in drilled or slotted? As the holes or slots won't do anything for braking performance there might be a weight loss minimal maybe but any weight loss is a good thing
Yes, you can get either variety, but most recommendations are against cross-drilled because it weakens the faces, lessens the heat dissipation mass, and potentially wears out the pads faster. Track use may be a different matter, with an entirely different set of considerations.

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
Do the lines. And if your lines were like mine, you'll see cracks form in the rubber as soon as you unbolt the calipers.
I asked my mechanic to take a look at my brake lines when he was removing calipers and he said they all look perfectly fine at ~190k.

Originally Posted by Funnyman
Don't know if there's a sponsor on here for as brake lines but I found a guy who makes custom lines for our cars in 4-5 different colors for $65 shipped you can look him up on facebook Raymond Chan
I've seen his posts and considered them, but it scares me to try home brew brake lines. Has anyone put them to use and verified that the hose material and crimped connections are any good? I'm sort of surprised anyone would put their neck on the line selling such an important safety equipment item. Talk about legal risks!
Old 02-16-15, 07:09 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Get TT calipers with DBA(disc brakes australia) TT rotors and stainless lines with rubber coating. dust gets inside between the metal pieces on braided lines and can corrode the rubber underneath, rubber coating keeps that from happening. you can find TT calipers at most parts store for only 100 bucks a piece (+18 core or something).
Old 02-16-15, 07:16 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Okay good info. And I assume LS400 rotors or Supra rotors all work together correct? Going to look online and make a purchase tonight for either Supra or LS400 brakes and rotors.
No, the supra rotors are slightly larger than the LS400 rotor. I think its 12.4" vs 12.7" or something along those lines.

I currently have the LS brakes on my car, and if I were to do it again I would go with supra tt for better rotor and pad selection. I've been having a hard time finding performance pads for the LS brakes (the only ones that come to mind right now are EBC).

It really comes down to what you're trying to achieve with your car and how aggressive of a driver you are.
Old 02-16-15, 07:53 PM
Funnyman
Rookie

I believe he has a business making these not just out of his garage I could be wrong tho

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota Supra TT brakes