Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Handling

Old 02-14-15, 02:06 AM
Brands
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Handling

What can i do to improve the handling of my 2006 is350? I want it to steer like its a brand new car and i also want my car to have the best suspension mods possible. Any ideas? anyone have pics of their setup? Thanks.
Old 02-14-15, 08:54 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume then that you feel it has suffered in handling in the last few years?

If your interest is handling, fsport shocks and springs are probably the first place to start. Maybe coils if you want to lower it as well, but the fsport shocks might be a better bang for the buck if you can find them and aren't interested in lowering the car much.
Next would be the rear sway bar, then the front, but if you go fsport I think you can only buy the front with the rear, so if you have the money, get both now. Down the list is the underbrace, again fsport might be the best choice, and finally there are a few stiffening components. Jun-tw sells an 8 piece kit or separate front and rear kits. I have them on mine, but I can't say I've noticed much of a difference.

You should also consider a limited slip differential, if you have the cash. That is the most expensive part and also the most fun.
Old 02-14-15, 12:27 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1256c
I assume then that you feel it has suffered in handling in the last few years?

If your interest is handling, fsport shocks and springs are probably the first place to start. Maybe coils if you want to lower it as well, but the fsport shocks might be a better bang for the buck if you can find them and aren't interested in lowering the car much.
Next would be the rear sway bar, then the front, but if you go fsport I think you can only buy the front with the rear, so if you have the money, get both now. Down the list is the underbrace, again fsport might be the best choice, and finally there are a few stiffening components. Jun-tw sells an 8 piece kit or separate front and rear kits. I have them on mine, but I can't say I've noticed much of a difference.

You should also consider a limited slip differential, if you have the cash. That is the most expensive part and also the most fun.
I would get the ISF steering ECU either before or after the sway bars.
Old 02-14-15, 04:36 PM
Brands
Rookie

thanks a lot guys i think ima strt w/ the ecu then get the lsd
Old 02-14-15, 07:46 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Coilovers - $1000+
Sway bars - $400+
New "FIGs" bushings - $500 at least for the front LCA bushings and the rear diff bushings, but there are plenty more available!
IS-F steering ECU - $400
Great tires - $1000+
OS Giken or ATS LSD - $2700/$1400

Hope you have money!
Old 02-14-15, 11:49 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get Fsport sway bars and Pilot Super Sport tires
Old 02-15-15, 07:24 AM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

What is your budget? You will need at least a set of new shocks if you are on the originals. KYBs are about $400 Tokico Blues are about $550. Any other shocks (Koni) will go up in $. FIGS LCA bushings for the front will help too or at least new factory LCA bushings. Michelin PSS tires are very good. Just make sure you are all aligned to preserve the inner front edges. FIGS will help with that. Good luck and open your wallet :-)
Old 02-15-15, 06:05 PM
Brands
Rookie

I'm on a budget right now I'm just trying to make a list of what i will need because in the near future i am looking to mod my car with the best parts i could find
Old 02-15-15, 08:21 PM
Gville350

Best parts you can find and "budget" shouldn't be in the same sentence.
Old 02-16-15, 05:29 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is-f steering dampener, fsport front and rear sway bars & chassis brace, sticky tires, is-f steering ecu, coilovers, light weight wheels, remove the spare tire... All these will help with handling
Old 02-16-15, 06:44 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Granted I do not own an IS, rather a gs. But from experience I would start with the swaybar(If decently priced [$150 - $200]). Then progress from there. It is generally known that the swaybar is hands down usually one of the biggest handling mods you can do out of the box for a moderate to low price.
Old 03-09-15, 09:15 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Start with sway bars both front and rear if you're on a budget and then go from there.
Old 03-09-15, 10:11 AM
Jaytea
Driver

If you want the best coilovers, you're probably looking at Ohlins which is on the figs site for $2772.

Like a poster above said, budget and best do not belong in the same sentence. However the coils are fully rebuildable, with 2 years warrantee, and hand built to order.
Old 03-09-15, 12:21 PM
Gville350

^Glad to see someone with the Ohlins setup; like you said, best off-the-shelf coilover one can get for the 2IS. Have you played with compression AND rebound valving? My next "suspension" project is the FIGs LCA bushings and maybe an LSD later in the year.
Old 03-09-15, 12:58 PM
Jaytea
Driver

Honestly I never found the need to. I turned the damper all the way stiff and it was way too hard for daily driving, so I'm about 3 clicks off full stiffness. However, I'll tell you this; the DFV (dual flow vales) in the ohlins coilovers makes my 20 inch rims with 30 side wall feel like 40 walls. My buddy drives a 2012 CLS550 with stock air suspension on 20 inch rims with 30 walls and even at its softest comfort setting, it still feels like a mine going off whenever you hit a divot in the road. Even he is amazed by the coilovers. The ride is amazingly more comfortable than stock by a longshot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Handling