Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport Chassis Brace Review

Old 02-12-15, 03:34 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport Chassis Brace Review

Hey CL I don't usually post much about suspension but felt like I should give my .02 about the fsport chassis brace after installing it today..

First of all I'm running bcr's at 16k/12k, tanabe front 2 point under brace, fsport rear sway bar, 18x8.5, 18x9.5 with stock tire specs (hankook v12) so the wider wheels and coilovers already provide much better handling paired with the rear sway bar... Anyways, I've been reading up on the fsport front sway bar lately and although the majority of people say it's worth it, I wanted to hold off and see if I could get my hands on the chassis brace first... which I just did. At first I didn't feel anything driving normally and not really taking corners at higher speeds, but as soon as I took a curvy freeway on ramp, "OH MAN!" I had a huge smile on my face haha. The rear felt so much more planted now with much less body roll and was stiffer compared to how it was before without the brace! Steering input is much more precise now and the car just feels more nimble. Yes I am planning on getting the front fsport sway in the future as well but if you can get your hands on the brace for a great deal like I did, don't hesitate! If you're a handling junky like me you'll be very pleased
Old 02-12-15, 04:54 AM
tnoice
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the review. I have also been considering the chassis brace. I did replace the front and rear sway bars and they too are amazing. Been very pleased with all of the fsport upgrades.
Old 02-12-15, 06:09 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

Nice positive review on the F-Sport Chassis Brace. Yes, the rear is much more planted to the ground now due to the reduction of deflection to the rear suspension with the stiffer rear brace. The car also becomes more responsive to steering input as you mentioned thanks to the stiffer chassis brace providing a reduced polar moment of inertia when you initiate a turn. Try doing some quick slalom maneuvers and you'll really see how fast the chassis responds.

I've noticed a trend on this forum over the years that the F-Sport Front Sway Bar and Rear Chassis Brace tend to get overlooked and dismissed as being a waste of money due to having "little or no impact" to handling (typically stated by those that do not have the components) but once they do decide to install these components, they'll notice that the impact to handling and chassis responsiveness is much more than what they originally believed. [/rant]

You're on the right track with your car. I recommend getting the F-Sport Front Sway Bar, IS-F Steering ECU, and FIGS LCA Polyurethane Bushings to further fulfill your handling junky needs!
Old 02-12-15, 06:36 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redspencer
Nice positive review on the F-Sport Chassis Brace. Yes, the rear is much more planted to the ground now due to the reduction of deflection to the rear suspension with the stiffer rear brace. The car also becomes more responsive to steering input as you mentioned thanks to the stiffer chassis brace providing a reduced polar moment of inertia when you initiate a turn. Try doing some quick slalom maneuvers and you'll really see how fast the chassis responds.

I've noticed a trend on this forum over the years that the F-Sport Front Sway Bar and Rear Chassis Brace tend to get overlooked and dismissed as being a waste of money due to having "little or no impact" to handling (typically stated by those that do not have the components) but once they do decide to install these components, they'll notice that the impact to handling and chassis responsiveness is much more than what they originally believed. [/rant]

You're on the right track with your car. I recommend getting the F-Sport Front Sway Bar, IS-F Steering ECU, and FIGS LCA Polyurethane Bushings to further fulfill your handling junky needs!
Haha I will try some slalom type maneuvers when I get the chance! As far as more upgrades I'm looking at the front sway bar and the 90 duro hp bushings. The ecu upgrade would be nice later on, but for now the steering damper is sufficient
Old 02-12-15, 12:18 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

I have the F-Sport chassis brace coming as well as the steering wheel damper so it will be a welcome change. I have the last F-Sport mod for my car be the sway bars once everything else (maintenance wise) is completed.

EDIT: After a couple of days driving with the chassis brace installed, I can say that the car responds to steering inputs in a firm, delightful way (along with adding the steering damper). I also noticed that the torsion that the chassis experiences in entering steep slopes or driveways is greatly reduced and the door seals remain nice and sealed. I used to observe a slight loosening of the door seals when I approach those steep driveways of a parking garage after lowering my car on F Sport springs and shocks. The chassis brace definitely gets overlooked because of the lack of improvement to day to day handling but the improvement to the rigidity and responsiveness to the car definitely are worth a look. Now I can't wait to get the sway bar set to finish off the car.

Last edited by knguyenk; 02-17-15 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Adding impressions of the chassis brace.
Old 02-18-15, 06:09 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

nice review... definitely will pick one up
Old 02-18-15, 01:01 PM
infin8ti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review!

With the sway bars, does anyone know how the handling compares with a 3IS?

Thanks
Old 02-18-15, 01:35 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by infin8ti
With the sway bars, does anyone know how the handling compares with a 3IS?
There's no published figures on how well a 2nd generation IS will perform with just the F-Sport F&R sway bar upgrade.

Last edited by TsunamiF; 10-05-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 06:28 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the F Sport rear chassis brace, F Sport front and rear sway bars, Tanabe 2 point lower brace, GT Spec 4 point lower brace, GT Spec strut bar, Jun Tw center tunnel brace, Megan LP coil overs Megan Camber arms and I'd have to say that the suspension was superb when handling on turns. I agree with all was said above and the car was planted, along with Hancook Ventus V12 tires.
Attached Thumbnails F-Sport Chassis Brace Review-suspension-pic.jpg  
Old 03-09-15, 05:40 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That and my Cusco front and rear sways made the car a lot better. I also have the Sustec front brace, and the car feels very very rigid.. like a totally different car it's crazy.
Old 03-09-15, 05:24 PM
JETLEX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I had the F Sport rear chassis brace, F Sport front and rear sway bars, Tanabe 2 point lower brace, GT Spec 4 point lower brace, GT Spec strut bar, Jun Tw center tunnel brace, Megan LP coil overs Megan Camber arms and I'd have to say that the suspension was superb when handling on turns. I agree with all was said above and the car was planted, along with Hancook Ventus V12 tires.
Sffd103,

how would you compare the other braces you installed in relation to the F-Sport rear brace?

I agree the F-Sport rear chassis brace is a noticeable upgrade. I noticed the difference in improved turn-in, even on slower speed corners (low 20's - 30 mph) when you start pushing the car a tiny bit.
Old 03-24-15, 10:50 PM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the F sport rear chassis brace is a HUGE upgrade that doesn't get enough credit. Freeway speeds and just driving around town feels way more stable and SAFE.
Old 05-25-15, 10:33 PM
soleeasii
Pole Position

anybody have install instuctions on the Chasis brace? I took it to my mechnaic and he said he had to mess with the sub frame and he did't want to do it... I think he was just being lazy
Old 05-25-15, 11:07 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soleeasii
anybody have install instuctions on the Chasis brace? I took it to my mechnaic and he said he had to mess with the sub frame and he did't want to do it... I think he was just being lazy
I don't have install instructions but all in all it took my guy about 10 minutes. He just removed several things from the rear and bolted the brace on in place of them. Hopefully someone can chime in and be of more help :/ Get back to us once you've had it installed!
Old 05-26-15, 04:37 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by soleeasii
Definitely your mechanic was being lazy, I installed mine on the driveway. It involves a few screws and bolts. I don't have PDF version of the instructions, but if I can scan my paper instructions if you need it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-Sport Chassis Brace Review